Pictures of 16t minerals being unloaded.

SouthernBlue80s

On 23/11/2022 at 19:28, johnofwessex said:

How did things work in the rest of Europe, what were their wagons like?

Here's a Lima model of an example (obviously the NCB livery is a figment of someone's imagination - they were/are usually shades of brown cf bauxite):

https://www.hattons.co.uk/137473/lima_l303173_continental_lwb_steel_coal_wagon_ncb/stockdetail

The Dia.1/112 (SNCF) is typical, but were sold back to us as being too small.

There is also a German bogie hopper:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/170023/roco_66018_set_of_four_bogie_hopper_wagons_of_the_german_db_epoch_iii/stockdetail

Sorry for any typing errors (Ziggy decided he had to come on my lap!) and for pictures of models - Google seemed to think that's what I wanted....

Edited by Il Grifone

On 23/11/2022 at 19:28, johnofwessex said:

How did things work in the rest of Europe, what were their wagons like?

Double post - first The site  told me that I can't post as it's too soon after the last one (not so) and then posted it twice! (Mysteries of the faith!)

Edited by Il Grifone

On 20/11/2022 at 10:25, Hal Nail said:

Related question and I appreciate irrlevant very quickly, but were the insides painted when new or after a refurb?

(16t, not wooden ones)

On 20/11/2022 at 10:33, Wickham Green too said:

Never seen an answer to that in print - but looking at 'The 4mm Coal wagon', there are a handful of high-angle photos that seem to show a uniform interior colour darker that the grey outside

On 20/11/2022 at 15:53, Cwmtwrch said:

Some years ago, I tried to answer this question, with a complete lack of success. Lots of suggestions, but no conclusive evidence. The suggestions included both yes and no, production from Corten steel, and others.

Digging around in my screenshots for threads elsewhere, I'd fogotton I'd clipped this from Coal Trucks (1958) by British Pathe on Youtube.

Body colour in this case?

image.png.875552dcde199065dcf4c1aec7012678.png

Edit - Near the end of Lot 2915, built by Met Cam 1957, so brand new.

Edited by 41516
  • Like 3

This is one of Ted Wests pics.

Probably not a good example as it was likely to have been given a paint refresh for the exhibition, but it appears the inferior may have been painted black or very dark grey.

Incidentally other wagons also photographed by Ted at that event shows timber vehicle interiors unpainted and "Green Arrow " types (Dia. 1/041 & 1/046) interiors painted same as exterior. Scan_0037.jpg.08630020969013845c0f421a36933adc.jpg

5 minutes ago, Sabato said:

Probably not a good example as it was likely to have been given a paint refresh for the exhibition, but it appears the inferior may have been painted black or very dark grey.

Bituminous black as I have already mentioned. It's use was soon discontinued (as the photo of the 1957 wagon shows) so it was presumably found that in practice it wasn't worth either the effort or the extra expense. The external body colour was used instead.