Pictures of 16t minerals being unloaded.

SouthernBlue80s

I currently have a rake of Dapol 16t minerals I weathered.

IMG_20171213_104744.jpg.39770f9958b2e6409924cb0dba73c279.jpg

I have bought a Parkside kit and would like to create a yard scene with it being unloaded, with a side door open. 

There are a few pictures I have found for reference but not many. Does anyone have any pictures of 16t s with doors open being unloaded by hand?

Steve

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

…typically these wagons would be positioned next to the coal merchants bay that had ordered the coal and he would shovel it straight through the open side door into his bunker. I’ve seen numerous pics and will try to locate one…a similar wagon but you get the gist…

BeRTIe

39AA6213-9A0F-4297-BFDE-0902C177E9AA.jpeg

C76B8DF0-A1F9-4E15-A8B8-0E4A538DA54C.jpeg

Edited by BR traction instructor
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

I currently have a rake of Dapol 16t minerals I weathered.

IMG_20171213_104744.jpg.39770f9958b2e6409924cb0dba73c279.jpg

I have bought a Parkside kit and would like to create a yard scene with it being unloaded, with a side door open. 

... with the side door propped open ?  Some rules were honoured more in the breach.

Excellent weathering job you've done there.

image.png.07fffe8bb42d74468cacb06930f64860.png

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

The photos show a cupboard door wagon, and the 16ton steel minerals were mostly drop door types (there were some cupboard door versions sent by the Ministry of Supply to the SNCF, who were desperately short of coal wagons after the war, in the late 40s, which were returned to the UK in the early 50s when SNCF had replaced it's war losses, and allocated to BR.  They were apparenly unpopular among the merchants and among the first to be scrapped).  The temptation to prop the door open with a bit of timber was strong, as it created a platform from which the merchant's bloke could bag up and load directly onto the flatbed lorry, but the practice was highly dangerous; if the prop decided it had had enough of you moving about on the door (or became loose because the wagon moved slightly upwards as the springs decompressed with the unloading) and decided it wasn't going to play any more, it would drop you to the ground without warning, usually resulting in broken legs or arms, or both, possibly with a heap of coal on top of you.

The proper procedure was to let the door drop completely and either unload onto the ground, where the coal would be shovelled into the cell or staithe, or back the flatbed lorry up to the door and bag'n'load direct from the wagon.  It always surprised me that nobody came up with a portable lightweight metal frame that could be positioned under the door to safely support it and hold it level, but nobody ever did.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

There's a photo in 'British Railway Goods Wagons in Colour' by Robert Hendry, which shows a 16-tonner. side door open and supported on a heap of coal. It was taken at Llandeilo, on the Central Wales line.

I've seen photos of an even riskier practice; an  end door, open, supported by a couple of big bits of timber. The wagon in question did not have side doors...

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

There's a photo in 'British Railway Goods Wagons in Colour' by Robert Hendry, which shows a 16-tonner. side door open and supported on a heap of coal. It was taken at Llandeilo, on the Central Wales line.

I've seen photos of an even riskier practice; an  end door, open, supported by a couple of big bits of timber. The wagon in question did not have side doors...

I thought that might have a picture of the practice.

As it happens, that book's also got one of my photos in it showing mineral wagons in trouble, but they're 24 1/2 tonners on their sides at Abercynon!  Taken from a railtour that unfortunately couldn't get everywhere it should have gone.  There doesn't seem to have been a formal accident enquiry, although I think there was about a mile of track damaged.

• Like 3

I found I had this picture which is a useful reference shot. If anyone knows who took it I will put up a credit. Its a nice shot.

Screenshot_20211008-175748_DuckDuckGo.jpg.5558acefc60d6cb791406085f6435d25.jpg

Progress so far.

This is a Parkside kit. I have built a few before, but probably my last one, no matter how carefully I try to remove parts from the spru they break. They need to be more thinly attached to the spru or stronger plastic used. Anyway never mind, lots of glueing back together and plasticard will sort it.

20221117_124142.jpg

Edited by SouthernBlue80s
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I found I had this picture which is a useful reference shot. If anyone knows who took it I will put up a credit. Its a nice shot.

Progress so far.

This is a Parkside kit. I have built a few before, but probably my last one, no matter how carefully I try to remove parts from the spru they break. They need to be more thinly attached to the spru or stronger plastic used. Anyway never mind, lots of glueing back together and plasticard will sort it.

20221117_124142.jpg

I’d try some sharp scissors rather than a scalpel 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

Progress so far.

20221117_124142.jpg

Blimey, if you think Parkside's quite chunky brake gear is tricky to remove don't try Slaters! :)

Key is to support whatever you are cutting - i rest on the edge of a bit of mdf and never had any trouble. Also suspect that blade isn't helping - I just use a normal no. 1 blade as sold in most model shops so you can easily have the whole length of the blade pressing on a flat surface.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks for the tips guys. I don't build that many wagons so not a dab hand at it. I am now making progress.

I am after one or two yard workers. Definitely one shoveling, stood in the wagon. My layout date is 1979 - 1983, so figures that look right in that time frame. Any suggestions as to where to obtain some welcome?

Steve

Guess I need a couple of chains as well 

Edited by SouthernBlue80s

Thanks for the tips guys. I don't build that many wagons so not a dab hand at it. I am now making progress.

I am after one or two yard workers. Definitely one shoveling, stood in the wagon. My layout date is 1979 - 1983, so figures that look right in that time frame. Any suggestions as to where to obtain some welcome?

Steve

Guess I need a couple of chains as well 

Dapol used to do a set of p/w workers, with several wielding shovels and sledge-hammers .

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

We used to have a cameo of a 16 tonner being unloaded on Thurston when we exhibited it which was taken from a photograph we were given when researching.

The coal merchant reversed his lorry up to the wagon at right angles, then the drop door was opened and rested on the back of the lorry, upon which sacks were filled.

100_4201.jpg.19246244892d1a37ed7874e945fb36b9.jpg

The lorry hasn't been pushed back far enough here, the door should rest on it.   I met the chap doing the shovelling when we exhibited the layout in Thurston village.

• Like 14

52 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

We used to have a cameo of a 16 tonner being unloaded on Thurston when we exhibited it which was taken from a photograph we were given when researching.

The coal merchant reversed his lorry up to the wagon at right angles, then the drop door was opened and rested on the back of the lorry, upon which sacks were filled.

100_4201.jpg.19246244892d1a37ed7874e945fb36b9.jpg

The lorry hasn't been pushed back far enough here, the door should rest on it.   I met the chap doing the shovelling when we exhibited the layout in Thurston village.

That's a really nice cameo. A bit of inspiration. 

• Like 1

Scottish yards in the 1970's seemed to mostly use a strange contraption based on a tractor with a grab that could reach into the wagon to unload 16 tonners. These meant that the coal wagons had to be berthed alongside a loading bank to allow the tractor to reach into the wagon. They were painted in a light blue shade, but I have not been able to unearth any pictures of one. 

The coal merchant at Maud junction must have acquired his in 1975. By this time there were only 2 sidings remaining in the yard, one next to the loading bank and one running parallel with it. Prior to 1975, pictures show the 16 tonners in the parallel siding. Post 1975 they were berthed alongside the loading bank. Picture taken in 1973 - courtesy of GNSRA.

image.png.5731dedf2a007f4052111f70ec89d109.png

Edited by clachnaharry
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

The grab tractor sounds to be one of the ones built on the 'back-to-front' Fordson Major; I can't remember the manufacturer's name. Wouldn't it be nice were Oxford to bring one out?

(Just did a quick bit of 'Googling'; the machines were known as 'Pelicans', and were built by a firm called Neal, later taken over by Coles)

Edited by Fat Controller
Added content
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

17 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Blimey, if you think Parkside's quite chunky brake gear is tricky to remove don't try Slaters! :)

Key is to support whatever you are cutting - i rest on the edge of a bit of mdf and never had any trouble. Also suspect that blade isn't helping - I just use a normal no. 1 blade as sold in most model shops so you can easily have the whole length of the blade pressing on a flat surface.

Good advice. I prefer to cut on a plywood or soft wood offcut in the direction of the grain. The tip of the blade can then sink into the wood. I use Exacto #2 as a weapon of choice and keep those old blades that have sacrificed their tip for this purpose. This technique also works well with most etched brass kits.

Perhaps not for the faint of heart, but I find the band saw perfect for separating the panels of Ian Kirk's O.gauge coaches. The remaining stump can be removed on a piece of Emery cloth glued flat on a plywood offcut. The important thing is to find the method that best suits you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

Scale3D might have something suitable?

https://www.scale3d.co.uk/collections/trade-services

Or Modelu?

https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/product-category/finescale-figures/railway-and-lineside/1875-1947-rl/industrial-loco-crew/

• Thanks 1