Steam locomotives that have never been moved by road?

G-BOAF

Clan Line has been taken by Low Loader for boiler repairs, the first time ever it has been transported by road.

https://www.clan-line.org.uk/news/clan-line-on-the-back-of-a-lorry/

Are there any other steam locos left that have never been transported by road? (transported complete rather than one or more components)

Potentially some of the early departures from Barry that went by rail to their preservation home.

Are there any NRM locomotives that went from service to storage then on to York in 1975?

I know 4468 (to/from Clapham museum by road, then on to York by Rail), 4771 (at end of last boiler certificate from NYMR) and 92220 and 6000 (to/from display at STEAM Swindon) have all been roaded.

All the ex-Butlins locomotives obviously had some form or Road transport to and from the holiday camps, as has any locomotive visiting or based at a 'land-locked' railway. This obviously includes Tornado which left its birthplace by road prior to running in at the GCR.

The reason the M7 based at Swanage doesn't visit other railways is that the owning group doesn't want to subject the frames to the stress of putting it on and off trailers, although obviously it has travelled by road and ship, because it was taken to the USA between BR ownership and the Drummond Locomotive Society.

Jon

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Clan Line has been taken by Low Loader for boiler repairs, the first time ever it has been transported by road.

https://www.clan-line.org.uk/news/clan-line-on-the-back-of-a-lorry/

Are there any other steam locos left that have never been transported by road? (transported complete rather than one or more components)

Potentially some of the early departures from Barry that went by rail to their preservation home.

Are there any NRM locomotives that went from service to storage then on to York in 1975?

I know 4468 (to/from Clapham museum by road, then on to York by Rail), 4771 (at end of last boiler certificate from NYMR) and 92220 and 6000 (to/from display at STEAM Swindon) have all been roaded.

All the ex-Butlins locomotives obviously had some form or Road transport to and from the holiday camps, as has any locomotive visiting or based at a 'land-locked' railway. This obviously includes Tornado which left its birthplace by road prior to running in at the GCR.

I'll have a look, but I think the last rail departures from Barry was 1975.

7325 and 2857 definitely went by rail in July/August and were departures 69 and 70.

https://www.svrwiki.com/GWR_2857_Heavy_Goods_Loco

There may have been some after that (possibly to Didcot as it's not road connected), but those are the last two from Barry that I can find.

Jason

11 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I'll have a look, but I think the last rail departures from Barry was 1975.

7325 and 2857 definitely went by rail in July/August and were departures 69 and 70.

https://www.svrwiki.com/GWR_2857_Heavy_Goods_Loco

There may have been some after that (possibly to Didcot as it's not road connected), but those are the last two from Barry that I can find.

Jason

Interesting info

I note that 7325 was displayed at Steam in the 2000s (requiring a road move) and 2857 has visited the GWR (also presumably roaded).

Has 5051 been anywhere by road at all? I know it arrived at Didcot by rail and obviously has had two mainline stints since then.

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, sir douglas said:

is there anything at York that has stayed there since the 1925?

Do you mean 1975 (when the current museum opened)? 

Probably some or most of the diesels; I'm not sure that the 02 (D2860) has ever left York.  I can't remember how 84001 came to Barrow Hill - I think it was by rail - but pretty sure it moved to Bo-ness by road.

11 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Probably some or most of the diesels; I'm not sure that the 02 (D2860) has ever left York.  I can't remember how 84001 came to Barrow Hill - I think it was by rail - but pretty sure it moved to Bo-ness by road.

Don't forget most of the NRM was flattened in the 1980s (or '90s) when it was rebuilt due to the roof deteriorating.

The locos and stock went into storage or on loan.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

The original York museum opened in 1928.

Aerolite might be a candidate - it doesn't seem to have wandered much - there's a photo of it at Doncaster in the 1970s, but it probably got moved by rail in those days. It seems to always be at York. 

And what about the Ffestiniog's in house built double Fairlies? Have  Merddin Emrys and David Lloyd George ever left the Ffestiniog/WHR?

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

And what about the Ffestiniog's in house built double Fairlies? Have  Merddin Emrys and David Lloyd George ever left the Ffestiniog/WHR?

In that case, possibly one or two of the Talyllyn's engines, as apart from the Corris there's nowhere else to run them.  However thinking about it, I can picture more than one of them on low-loaders displayed at other railway's galas.

• Informative/Useful 1

the talyllyn locos went away by road for overhauls early on in preservation until they could do the work themselves, the Corris pair would have come over the hill by road

18 hours ago, Northmoor said:

as apart from the Corris there's nowhere else to run them

on a side note, there is now. GVT at Chirk is now being laid to 2'3"

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/11/2022 at 13:19, G-BOAF said:

All the ex-Butlins locomotives obviously had some form or Road transport to and from the holiday camps

Duchess of Hamilton left Minehead station by rail in 1975.  However, there was a very short road trip from the Butlins camp to the station first, just a few hundred yards. 

Although the Minehead line was closed, it was cleared enough for the trip where the steam loco was hauled by a class 25. 

Ian

• Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, Northmoor said:

In that case, possibly one or two of the Talyllyn's engines, as apart from the Corris there's nowhere else to run them.  However thinking about it, I can picture more than one of them on low-loaders displayed at other railway's galas.

Talyllyn was at the NEC show a few years back. The photos I took of it are rubbish though, due to the NEC lighting.

• Like 1

On 08/11/2022 at 21:52, Northmoor said:

The 84 arrived at BH by road. Of the other ACLG fleet, potentially 81002 and 82008, the 83 arrived at the same time but was roaded back to BH from a Crewe Electric staff day.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 298 said:

The 84 arrived at BH by road. Of the other ACLG fleet, potentially 81002 and 82008, the 83 arrived at the same time but was roaded back to BH from a Crewe Electric staff day.

81002, 82008 and 83012 definitely came by rail as I was at BH just after they arrived, ready to give them a cosmetic tidy-up for the Open Weekend.  85006 came by road later (from memory it cost as much as bringing the other three by rail).  Of course none of these are steam locos and none belong to the NRM, so I'm taking this off-topic <slaps wrist>.

3 hours ago, Northmoor said:

81002, 82008 and 83012 definitely came by rail as I was at BH just after they arrived, ready to give them a cosmetic tidy-up for the Open Weekend.  85006 came by road later (from memory it cost as much as bringing the other three by rail).  Of course none of these are steam locos and none belong to the NRM, so I'm taking this off-topic <slaps wrist>.

not being NRM is not off topic. note being Steam is.

I just mentioned NRM locos as I was thinking there might be some that arrived at york by rail and never left.

in terms of standard gauge steam, it seems like Clan Line might have been the last of a line (pardon the pun!)

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

I just mentioned NRM locos as I was thinking there might be some that arrived at york by rail and never left.

Up until the opening of Locomotion at Shildon there might have been some amongst the collection at York.   IIRC many of the wheeled exhibits at the old York museum travelled by rail across from Queen Street, partly on temporary track, supervised by the late John Peck (then a BR manager & latterly one of our engineering drawings archive volunteers). Similarly, during the Great Hall roof replacement several of the locos that stayed on site again IIRC moved by rail from one side of Leeman Road to the other (via Severus Junction).

However, since Locomotion opened in 2004 the policy of regularly exchanging exhibits between the two sites means that I suspect there now isn’t a steam loco at York that hasn’t been on a low-loader at some point.  NER 1621 might have been the last one to succumb…

RichardT

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Don't think 73050 has been anywhere since it arrived in Peterborough under its own steam in 1968, although its tender has gone to the NYMR by road. Jack's Green (Hunslet 1953) may also qualify unless it was moved by road to Brotherhood's (local engineering company) for its overhaul, it certainly returned by rail. The Nene Valleys steam crane was delivered by rail and as it's self propelled??? And going way off topic, the turntable at Wansford was moved by rail from Peterborough East not road https://jpsgallery.zenfolio.com/p127423666/hef2df275

42073 at Lakeside may be another candidate?

Edited by 92912
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, 92912 said:

Several of Didcots stored locos possibly qualify, 7808, 6998, 6697 and even maybe 1361?.  Also has Fire Fly been anywhere else?

One of the broad gauge locos was on display in the car park at Toddington (GWSR) at one point, was that Firefly ?

Adrian

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, sir douglas said:

im sure ive seen a video of a broad gauge loco running up & down a car park somewhere but i think it was the Duke

Here's Iron Duke outside Cathays Wagon Works in 1985 and it didn't get there by rail!

DSC00329.JPG.5d7b657f15ea1eb33fb999d547ea271a.JPG

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Here's Iron Duke outside Cathays Wagon Works in 1985 and it didn't get there by rail!

DSC00329.JPG.5d7b657f15ea1eb33fb999d547ea271a.JPG

Technically it did, but on a well wagon. But it's tender was built at Cathays so it hasn't gone anywhere at that time... 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1