Hornby - Warley Model Railway Exhibition Special announcement 26.11.22

RyanN91

12 minutes ago, 7802 said:

I am at a loss as to what the experience referred to is, are we supposed to have it running around our layout whilst watching the coronation on the TV?

Maybe that's the surprise to come-  when you order it, you get an invite to the Coronation and your loco will be waiting for collection from your reserved seat in Westminster Abbey...

OK, I'm probably being a bit ambitious , there'll probably be a voucher in the box for a discount on Hornby's yet-to-be announced extensive range of Coronation tat.

Now if they'd announced a set of 1950's-era Royal Train coaches as well, I might be a bit more excited about this one!

Edited by Invicta
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

Re-reading the announcement announcement, it says to come along at Warley and experience something special. I assume that that referred to the chance to experience a product unveiling 'live'. Not as such that what was announced would be an experience itself

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hroth said:

The Hornby email just arrived, "A Royal Product Announcement".

They say it will be here in April 23, to be in time for the coronation of Charles III.

Given Hornbys record on arrival times...

Don’t worry. His Maj will postpone the coronation to accommodate Hornby.

• Funny 7

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

That last paragraph is an interesting thought.  The DC controller was a good idea, the app was rough around the edges*.  A MK2 version of that refined into usefulness would be good, a similar thing to replace the clunky Railmaster software for the eLink controller would be marvellous!

An SK inspired Mr Clippy would result in instant purging of the app from my tablet....

* The pairing process is particularly opaque.

Just had this emailed to me...

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/news/article/view/id/923/

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Roddy Angus said:

I didn't notice Hornby 'gazumping' the Deltic, class 31, class 92, class 37, to name a few.

Roddy

Are you suggesting that somebody did gazump those?   Look at the facts (sorry to introduce facts) - the Accurascale Deltic was an improvement of the older (but still pretty good) Bachmann model so no gazumping there.  The Accurascale 31 is a vast improvement on. a very ancient Hornby model which has its roots back in the Triang  era - definitely no gazumping there.  I'm not even sure why the 92 gets a mention - no comparison at all with any previous effort so why not offer something which is a vast improvement?  As for the 37 a simple question is who announced first - Accurascale but Bachmann were obviously too far advanced to drop theirs.  So the market gets too really good 37s.  Hornby haven't even bothered to upgrade any of their older diesels so no gazumping there.

Now look at the other side of the coin - Rails announce a new Terrier.  Hornby then grab a model previously under development by Oxford, shove existing announcements aside to rush it out (with sundry errors because it was rushed and not properly researched).  All the while claiming its 'their' model (which is downright nonsense as Hornby's Terrier was tooled by guess who - Dapol.  Then they picked on something which was rejected originally having been partially developed and rush it out to compete with Hattons announcement of generic 4 & 6 wheeled coaches.  Rapido announce their fully licensed 'Titfield Thunderbolt' months before Hornby announced their 'inspired by' copycat which then leads to them having to eat humble pie once the company which granted the licence to Rapido takes them very firmly to task.

So who exactly leaves the sour taste of 'copycat' (which I presume is what you mean when you say 'fazumping?) in everyone's minds when they think about the facts?  (sorry to mention facts yet again).

• Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, SHMD said:

Who would announce an early model now - knowing H's record on "gazumping"?

Kev.

Remember DJM King Class, 14xx and 71? Hornby were accused of gazumping then. DJM was proclaimed as the saviour of modelling in 'OO'. Hornby at least got all their models made. With hindsight the DJM 14xx was not that well designed on the mechanical side of things. The DJM class71 was swings and roundabouts compared to Hornby's. As for the King... well we'll never know whether it would have been better that the Hornby version.

As far as I can see, it takes about the same amount of time for all manufacturers to produce models. So, if Hornby announce a model just after someone else has, and can get it in the shops a year before. they probably started work on it a year before as well. 

I will concede that the Terrier against RAILS, and the many 66 liveries on an old moulding against Hattons class 66 stink of throttling competition. Not Hornby’s finest moment, As for the Titfield farce, there is no excuse for that.

4 minutes ago, Vistisen said:

The DJM class71 was swings and roundabouts compared to Hornby's

But I was able to get a weathered DJM 71 for £70 when they were being flogged off!  Its not a bad model...

5 minutes ago, Vistisen said:

I will concede that the Terrier against RAILS, and the many 66 liveries on an old moulding against Hattons class 66 stink of throttling competition. Not Hornby’s finest moment, As for the Titfield farce, there is no excuse for that.

The Terriers were well advanced when that kicked off, and at least the Railroad standard 66 models aren't as problematic as some of the Hattons 66s turned out to be.  As for Titfieldgate, given the fact that Hornbys "Lion" is actually here, its possible that the process was well under way when Rapido announced they had the licence for "The Titfield Thunderbolt".  If nothing else, the Hornby fiasco over that generated a useful amount of publicity for their model.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

The Accurascale 31 is a vast improvement on. a very ancient Hornby model which has its roots back in the Triang  era

Are you forgetting the new version Hornby 31? 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Sometimes people confuse the Railroad 31 and the Main Range 31 (though even those are relatively elderly now), unless its one of the Main Range ones with the expanding chassis....

Edited by Hroth
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Good point - but how new?  Way behind in upgrade terms what Accurascale are offering  I think.   Simple fact is that Hornby didn't, for whatever reason, put development money into upgrading their mainline diesels - the money has gone elsewhere.  That was obviously a business decision on their part because they cannot afford to do everything at once - so, hopefully, they put the money where it would give the best overall return for the business.

When a manufacturer does that and they also have a very extensive range selling into a variety of model railway markets there are inevitably going to be gaps into which others can step.  And even more so in a market where one, diverse, part of it thrives on novelty (aka 'improvements' or 'new ideas & developments') and where new releases are the life blood of that market.  Add in buyers in that market who seem to require ever higher standards of detail plus the novelty element and it takes time and effort to serve it.

Hornby might well be 'big' in British r-t-r,  probably still accounting for something over 50% by value of new items sold, but they don't have a bottomless pit of investment cash nor do they have the resources t be everywhere with everything.  So there is room for others to step in and they will obviously choose things which they  believe will give the best rate of return on their investment.  Hornby appear to currently believe that in 00 it is 'Flying Scotsman'  (plus other steam outline models) and they're probably right for their core market.  others obviously bekueve it's various modern items of rolling stock and 'classic' diesels.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1