Heljan OO 86/2

AY Mod

• Moderators

Yes We ‘Can’ – ‘OO’ Class 86/2 confirmed

86a.jpg

Popular variant of standard BR AC electric to join the HELJAN range in 2023.

A third variant of our popular ‘OO’ gauge Class 86 is now in preparation for release in 2023. In response to public demand, the Class 86/2 will join the recent ‘AL6’ and Class 86/4 in the HELJAN range.

Two versions will depict the 100mph passenger/parcels ‘86s’ in late-1970s to mid-1980s guise prior to the addition of headlights/TDM cables and for the late-1980s onwards with high-intensity headlights and TDM cables. The latter will be available with either Faiveley or Brecknell-Willis pantographs.

This all-new model has been produced in response to strong demand from OO gauge modellers of AC electrics and provides a perfect companion to our earlier Class 86s. Eight liveries will be available on general release via HELJAN stockists (see below), with a further special edition of 86235 Novelty in ‘Rainhill 150’ livery available from Gaugemaster stockists as part of the ‘Gaugemaster Collection’.

Suggested Retail Price (SRP) is £254.95. Standard features will match the demanding requirements of today’s OO gauge modeller, including a 21-pin DCC interface, LED lighting with independently switchable tail light function, provision for DCC sound, sprung buffers, highly detailed underframe and bogies and much more.

GM4240304 BR ‘Rainhill 150’ Blue 86235 Novelty GAUGEMASTER COLLECTION ERA 7

#8621 BR Blue 86253 The Manchester Guardian ERA 7/8

#8623 InterCity Executive 86204 City of Carlisle ERA 8

#8630 InterCity Swift 86238 European Community ERA 8

#8631 Virgin Trains Red/Grey 86240 Bishop Eric Treacy ERA 9

#8633 BR Electric Blue 86259 Les Ross ERA 9

#8634 EWS Red/Gold 86261 Rail Charter Partnership ERA 9

#8635 Colas Railfreight 86701 Orion ERA 9

#8636 Anglia Railways 86260 ERA 9

Engineering prototypes are expected in the UK for review in early-2023. We hope to deliver the first batch of Class 86/2s in late-2023. Look out for further updates on all these new models here and on our Facebook page over the coming months!

• Like 13

A welcome and "not if, but when" announcement. Looks like they've covered all of the major liveries....and Colas. I'm trying to work out which has done more miles in that livery, it or Hornby's hybrid-named 87001... 

Parcels red, Res, Europhoenix or even one of the yellow 86/9s would have been a better first release. 

1 hour ago, 298 said:

A welcome and "not if, but when" announcement. Looks like they've covered all of the major liveries....and Colas. I'm trying to work out which has done more miles in that livery, it or Hornby's hybrid-named 87001... 

Parcels red, Res, Europhoenix or even one of the yellow 86/9s would have been a better first release. 

I think they've released a pretty good mix to be honest: blue, exec, swallow, Virgin, EWS, Anglia, Colas, Les Ross. They cover the entire TOPS era.

I say that even though none may be quite right for what I am modelling, although further releases should be.

They did a RES 86/4 which would have worked the same diagrams as a RES 86/2.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

86260 in Anglian seems a strange choice as it only wore the livery for around a year before withdrawal?

Bit more research: Painted into Anglian livery November 2003, entered service with Anglian February 2004 and stored, not to return to Anglian service, in October 2004.

Edited by WILLIAM

• RMweb Gold

Just when my list of future pre-orders had receded to a reasonable (sensible?) level … within a couple of days Class 50’s and Class 86/2’s announced … drats!

Great news though … and BR Blue, IC Exec, IC Swallow and Virgin very likely to be added to Davidson Parkway, while 86261 in EWS does look nice and would compliment the EWS Class 90 on the layout.

7F78ADD8-9D22-4D70-87A3-C2D133EF9CEF.jpeg.d11c6d24176aab2d93092ae003ef44cc.jpeg

86261 at Crewe Electric open day during 3rd May 1997.

• Like 1

Blue, ICX and IC Swallow for me to join the tool chest of other 86s.  Good range of liveries for the first run.  Hopefully other livery variants will follow, I'd love a BR Blue with headodces as running from about 1973 until 1978-9 which will complement the 86/0 models already released.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

A natural and welcome development; with the exception of 303s, 304s, 310s (and their ilk) etc, a pretty decent RTR representation of a post '60s WCML is now within our collective grasp.  Liking your work, Heljan!

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 298 said:

Theres 7 in that list that I am after…

I’ll have to see how that pans out.

However the big one is 86259 Les Ross

5FCEF539-5A89-4B0A-9A16-58536A29FC08.jpeg.559bc3e9da2604a21f4233c9f0bfd5a6.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blueeighties said:

No matter what a manufacturer announces, someone always knows better.

So in Colas livery, it worked the demonstration overnight freight train into Euston and ran to Longsight with a pair of barrier coaches. That's it, before being moved around the country a bit before being exported. But prior to this it along with 86702 in Europhoenix livery racked up impressive mileages on hire and on railtours. 

I was also the signatory who oversaw the creation of ETS and ETL (Europhoenix) and a shareholder so I'll take that "knows better" badge thank you very much.

Edited by 298
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

If manufacturers release all the popular stuff first, a 2nd run may not do that well as a fair number will stick at their initial purchase

If they hold back a few popular ones, as we know full well from these forums, people will be rushing to get one straight away, and may be more likely to buy again 2nd time round if its something they actually wanted more in the first place.

• Agree 1

Hi everyone,

The 86/2 is a welcome development of the 86 model. Les Ross is perfect for the WCRC stock and for the early 2000’s a pair of Virgin ones are ordered with 1 to be renamed and numbered. The EWS model is tempting as I’m sure I saw it at Darlington on a parcels working around 2000/1.

All the best

Mark

• Like 1

On 26/11/2022 at 07:03, Hal Nail said:

If manufacturers release all the popular stuff first, a 2nd run may not do that well as a fair number will stick at their initial purchase

If they hold back a few popular ones, as we know full well from these forums, people will be rushing to get one straight away, and may be more likely to buy again 2nd time round if its something they actually wanted more in the first place.

If you want rare, try 213 or 228 in Virgin livery...