Model Railway Journal 293

Not Jeremy

• RMweb Premium
On 24/11/2022 at 16:07, Not Jeremy said:

.... The rest of the content is fab - honest, a bit of a return to form it seems to me. .....

I picked up a copy from the newsagents here in Tywyn. I'm enjoying it more than some recent issues. I put it down to it containing more words than of late and they're good ones, well arranged, that offer fresh insights. If I had to choose then for entertainment I think I'd rather have the thousand words than the picture.

Edited by Neil
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

24 minutes ago, Neil said:

I picked up a copy from the newsagents here in Tywyn. I'm enjoying it more than some recent issues. I put it down to it containing more words than of late and they're good ones, well arranged, that offer fresh insights. If I had to choose then for entertainment I think I'd rather have the thousand words than the picture.

A thousand words and a picture. Well balanced content!!!   😀

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just picked mine up from my local newsagent on Tyneside. I agree with Neil and his earlier comment it looks a very good issue and as a Highland Railway modeller very happy and inspired. I was happy collector and reader of the work of Iain Rice, loved his style and spent many a contented hour armchair modelling with one of his books. Nicely done commemoration.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for the picture Jerry, that was such a hugely enjoyable weekend from all possible points of view.

And for putting together this MRJ too, a very good read and fitting recallation* of Iain, as others have said.

Simon

*That may be a word I have just invented, a cross between recollection and evocation, sort of inspired by Mick Simpson's Cameo Callaton

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

An excellent issue. As a 60+ year SDJR fan whose first layout was based on the area, between Coleford and Vobster, near where we lived in the late 1950s, and whose current interests lie in my Dad's next parish of Highbridge, I was very pleased to see three relevant articles. All three of course show top quality modelling. Gordon Gravett's Radstocks are museum quality. I am in awe of his skills.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hopefully I’ll be able to pick up my copy from Monk Bar Models before Christmas- sounds like good holiday reading.  

Is this actually the first issue of 2023, but early?  As I have my MRJs bound in annual volumes  I had it in my head that issue 300 would be the last issue of 2023.  (I am keeping my fingers crossed for a bumper celebratory issue 300 recalling the Xmas MRJs of old.  What a tragedy that Iain Rice won’t be around for that milestone.)

Richard T

• RMweb Gold

I subscribe to the New Statesman, and because of the postal uncertainty they sent out last week's issue via email as a pdf attachment. This, I suspect, is unlikely to be an option for the quill-and-parchment-based approach to technology prevailing at MRJ Towers.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MartinM said:

Still waiting to my subscription mag to turn up in Darkest Sussex I assume the postal strikes are the cause... I will be in WHSmith tomorrow so I hope I'll have it by then otherwise I'll be tempted to buy a copy off the shelf.....

Do what 50% of WHS browsers do, flick through a shelf copy for a while. Your subs copy will arrive eventually!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

The usefulness of RMWeb! Just looking through this thread and I then realised that I had forgotten to renew my subscription! That's probably why 293 hasn't turned up in Devon yet.

It hasn't arrived in the Duchy yet - and I HAVE renewed my subscription.

It does annoy me when subs. copies lag so far behind the news trade supplies.

CJI.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

They don't make 'em like they used to....

(Has the end of the screed perished from neglect?)

Happily not, I just didn't scan it.

I could always post it here later if subs copies don't turn up, it might at least be something for those poor folk to look forward to.....

For myself, I'm currently in the land of Titfieldfieldshire - all sunshine and whimsey, so long as you aren't on your way to prison!

crowdscene.jpg.975191f261365a739702e73faa04c603.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Those still awaiting their subscription copy have my sympathy but I have to say my MRJ 293 arrived from Simon, well, George technically, yesterday. 

It came as part of a mysterious parcel, the purchase of which was instigated by the Memsahib who whipped away the rest of the contents before I could catch a glimpse of them. 

A nice issue. I headed straight for Iain Rice's obituary. A lovely piece. 

The rest I shall enjoy at my leisure this afternoon but Jerry's S&D contribution looks right up this Sheep's street and I've long admired Great Bardfield. Mr Gravett knocks up a nice boat as well.

So all in all, a jolly good read to look forward to.

Rob. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2