Model Railway Journal 293

Not Jeremy

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

True but living between Bath and Swindon, in a town rather than out lying villages you would expect a little more.

From what I've seen of it, the effects of the strikes have been very patchy and don't seem to correlate to the size of the communities involved. 

Fairly remote rural areas often seem almost unaffected, possibly because lower volumes mean backlogs don't build up. 

John

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Without being political, I know the postmen round here pretty well and speak with them a lot, a helpful, bright and well motivated group of people.

Apparently, local management always hire extra warehouse space at around this time of year to cope with the extra Christmas mail, except that they haven't this year, which has exacerbated the effects of the strike and would cause problems even without any strikes. I think I am right in saying that they are also not taking on any extra staff, which they normally do at this time of year.

Just disgusting, and why on earth the BBC isn't reporting this and asking questions I don't know.

No doubt, at the end of all this woe the workforce will get royally screwed just the same.

I hope I am proved wrong.

Apologies for drifting away from MRJ, although an animated conversation I remember having with Iain concerned the deregulaion of fire regulations that arguably led to the Grenfell Tower horror.

"Great Britain" indeed.....

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Not Jeremy said:

Without being political, I know the postmen round here pretty well and speak with them a lot, a helpful, bright and well motivated group of people.

Our postie is a diamond and it's others of his ilk that often make up for the shortcomings of the company and service provided.  As my own experience showed in a long career with a Big Airline, the key to success for a service industry is a well motivated workforce.  This depends much on retaining goodwill between management and staff.  Sadly, goodwill is easily spent and fresh supplies are expensive.

• Agree 9
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I think I am right in saying that they are also not taking on any extra staff, which they normally do at this time of year.

You are incorrect about this, they are taking on seasonal staff.  I know someone who is so employed for the second year running.

• RMweb Gold

To perhaps illustrate the current state of the postal system, here's my example. 

28th November, parcel deposited at local post office in Cardiff, five minutes walk from Chateau Sheep. Sent 48hr tracked delivery to the South East. 

Since then, not a dicky bird, until..............

10.41 today, first update to the tracking information shows that it was recorded today at the main sorting office in Cardiff. 

It's either taken 14 days to travel six miles or sat undisturbed in the sorting office for the same length of time..............

Rob. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

My subscription copy arrived at the Manor House this morning, which made for a very pleasant afternoon's read.

Strangely, it was accompanied by the January Steam Days, which isn't supposed to be on sale for another two days (not a complaint !) .

Adrian

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

May I comment on content rather than delivery?

The images of Foxcote New Pit are really impressive. I am still trying to persuade myself that the layout is 2FS rather than a larger scale. Really impressive. Plus a plan.

And good to see a wider range of contributors than in issue 293.

Jonathan

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, chris p bacon said:

You're not alone as mine hasn't turned up yet either.

Do not despair. Mine arrived in yesterday's post - a huge mound, the first for days. It's all gone to pot, though hopefully in your case not Potton.

But well worth the wait - enjoyment enhanced by prolonged anticipation!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

You're not alone as mine hasn't turned up yet either.

I'm going to check that the lasts subs cheque was cashed in case that went adrift in the post.

Mine has turned up but I consider myself fortunate as my main hub is Bristol...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, this is a bit off topic, but with respect to the post, a package from Titfield Thunderbolt, posted on Tuesday arrived in High Wycombe this morning.  The timing of deliveries is very patchy.

Dave

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Dave 46 said:

Sorry, this is a bit off topic, but with respect to the post, a package from Titfield Thunderbolt, posted on Tuesday arrived in High Wycombe this morning.  The timing of deliveries is very patchy.

The first shall be last and the last first, or something like that. i imagine parcels have been mounting up in sorting offices and now they're getting to grips with deliveries, starting from the top of the pile.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm half way up the right hand side of Scotland and still waiting hopefully for my copy.  Good things are of course worth waiting for but I am becoming a trifle anxious now.  If it hasn't arrived by next year I think a chase-up will be required.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

It's arrived! (together with the Christmas edition of "Private Eye").  It's a cold dismal afternoon, so I'll be doing some reading in front ot the fire, perhaps with a glass to hand.  Winter has its consolations.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 10/12/2022 at 14:34, Not Jeremy said:

Apparently, local management always hire extra warehouse space at around this time of year to cope with the extra Christmas mail, except that they haven't this year, which has exacerbated the effects of the strike and would cause problems even without any strikes. I think I am right in saying that they are also not taking on any extra staff, which they normally do at this time of year.

Just disgusting, and why on earth the BBC isn't reporting this and asking questions I don't know.

No doubt, at the end of all this woe the workforce will get royally screwed just the same.

''Lions led by donkeys" (with sincere apologies to all donkeys).

Fortunately our regular friendly hippie postman delivered my copy to Kernow Towers some days ago, before Christmas and a jolly good read it was too. I was also marvelling at the sheer amount of detail and wonderful work on Foxcote.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Modellers in, or visitors to, Sweden, may be heartened to know that MRJ is available in the newsagent at Lund railway station, along with a good selection of other modelling and railway magazines:

20230101_165645_50pc.jpg.e89757db958094b8bd912e3a3c147462.jpg

However, any purchasers may be less heartened by the price:

20230101_165700_50pc.jpg.d82b0d7c6f5112352b450e880b87c81f.jpg

239 SEK is round about £19!  Still..... worth every penny/krone.

• Like 7