Model Railway Journal 293

Not Jeremy

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, micklner said:

No trace at 3 different Smith's so far.

That's annoying. Ours down on the Sussex coast had some last Wednesday. The only down side was that it wouldn't scan on the self-service till, so I had to queue up to pay a real person - a minor delay compared with yours.

• Like 1

I picked one up from Magazine Heaven at Rushden Lakes on Thursday. Almost walked off empty handed when there was no copies with the rest of the model railway magazines on offer. I just decided to have a quick look at the "real" railways section on the other side of the store and spotted about half a dozen copies. The assistant seemed uninterested when I pointed out they were in the wrong section though.

• RMweb Premium
On 02/12/2022 at 23:27, Not Jeremy said:

For those that are still waiting, here is a bit of gratuitous Ricery.

For dark winter evenings spent waiting for striking postmen/women, in unheated and rude hovels, with reintroduced boars rampaging through frost covered and unlit housing estates, wolves howling from out of town shopping centres, estate agents queueing at foodbanks and unemployed bank tellers huddling together in warm banks. All that and Radio 4 too - sheesh.

Whoops, wrong thread, sorry....

1968742766_AmosCludgworthy.jpg.7e71022ff1605a266a202c6f22fa7ce2.jpg

This piece does not appear in the MRJ for which you are waiting.

Happy reminders of Broadley Street and Lisson Grove there, Simon.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Mu subs copy arrived today, which seems reasonable given two days postal workers strike last week.  The subscription renewal was enclosed, which seems to come round quite frequently these days. Fortunately, my chequebook still has several cheques left in it.

• Friendly/supportive 1

I was especially pleased to see Iain with the Longwood Edge layout he built for/with Don Leeper, who passed away from Covid in April 2020. I saw the layout while it was still being built, at S4um and Railex. It was typical of Iain's approach to creating presenting a delightful and interesting model in a small space. I hope that, as his last and probably least well known 4mm layout, it is in safe hands.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

It'll come.

I've been waiting for some other bits and pieces in the post which I know have been posted, 1 turned up yesterday after 7 days and the other is still awol after 8 days. Our local postie says the backlog is building after each strike day.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Subs copy arrived in the post in York this morning (together with the January Railway Modeller and the new LNER Society Journal), hopefully an encouragement to those still awaiting theirs.  Plenty of reading matter for the cold spell now!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 31A said:

Subs copy arrived in the post in York this morning (together with the January Railway Modeller and the new LNER Society Journal), hopefully an encouragement to those still awaiting theirs.  Plenty of reading matter for the cold spell now!

Delivered here too, today.

CJI.

• RMweb Gold

I'm a subscriber and have not received mine yet but I understand there are serious postal backlogs in some places which would explain that. Today is the first of 4 strike days over the next week or so..

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Though not related to MRJ, the postal system is quite bizarre at present. As a recent sender of multiple parcels........A parcel sent to Sussex on the 28th Nov has yet to arrive whereas a parcel sent to Suffolk on the 4th Dec arrived yesterday and a parcel sent to Orkney on Monday arrived yesterday. All sent from same post office at same rate. 

So, the varying arrival times of MRJ subscription copies is most likely no fault of the publishers. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

Yep, I'm another subbie without a copy. Seems strange for such delays and can't blame the Royal Mail as other items have arrived.

Surely that depends on the route the various items have had to travel from their various senders. In a situation with hold ups and back logs due to strikes and extra Christmas loadings some random delivery timescales are likely to occur. Maybe backlogs are not always worked through in the expected chronological order.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

It is a wonderful issue that is let down with one small part. Laurie Griffin's beautiful loco's are so poorly presented that doesn't do justice to the quality of there build. Surly with the technology available today we should not be seeing dark pictures like this. 

• RMweb Gold
On 06/12/2022 at 18:56, Jol Wilkinson said:

I was especially pleased to see Iain with the Longwood Edge layout he built for/with Don Leeper, who passed away from Covid in April 2020. I saw the layout while it was still being built, at S4um and Railex. It was typical of Iain's approach to creating presenting a delightful and interesting model in a small space. I hope that, as his last and probably least well known 4mm layout, it is in safe hands.

That was a quick off-the-cuff phone camera shot I took at Railex 2019 as I thought it very characteristic of Iain.  Very glad I did.  I wasn't aware Don had died.  Another piece of sad news.  2019 seems a world away now.

Mark

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The royal mail post is rather odd right now.  We had a delivery really early this morning of a whole load of letters, cards and my subs MRJ293. Much earlier than our regular postie delivers.

2 hours ago, 2mmMark said:

The royal mail post is rather odd right now.  We had a delivery really early this morning of a whole load of letters, cards and my subs MRJ293. Much earlier than our regular postie delivers.

Sent around 20 packages out since the end of November, most have got through, but those with London, Sussex and Surrey postal addresses appear to have stalled. Interesting I ordered a largish (7kg) present for SWMBO last Friday evening, it was dispatched by the retailer and collected by Royal Mail on Saturday and was delivered to me in rural Norfolk on Sunday afternoon!

Back on topic my subs copy MRJ293 reached a far flung part of Norfolk earlier this week.

Edited by vaughan45

• RMweb Premium

Here in Essex up to 2 weeks to get things delivered by post seems common. As I couldn’t get to a shop it took 7 days for MRJ 293 via Newsstand. Yet Curry’s delivered a cheap android phone with free post (for a DCC throttle) via DPD within 24hrs.

I was pleased to read IAR’s obituary. It and the reminisces from others were nice reminders and well deserved. I remember the early MRJ’s with fondness when Iain’s writings in each issue would be the first thing I would read. Quite apart from that the issue is excellent all round, and especially for a current 2mm modeller as myself. Lots of inspiration. 

Bob

• Like 3

15 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

Surely that depends on the route the various items have had to travel from their various senders. In a situation with hold ups and back logs due to strikes and extra Christmas loadings some random delivery timescales are likely to occur. Maybe backlogs are not always worked through in the expected chronological order.

True but living between Bath and Swindon, in a town rather than out lying villages you would expect a little more.