Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Best Tool for Heat shrink over wire?

Good Morning All

I am hoping for a recommendation on a better method than my present use of a lit match to shrink the sleeving over wires.

I have rarely used heat shrink before but am now involved with a club project that will need quite a lot of upside down in an awkward position work.

553991290.jpg

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, doilum said:

I always use the back of the soldering iron but a fellow club member has a mini hot air gun specifically designed for the task.

For occasional use a back of the soldering iron or even a cigarette lighter is good. If you intend doing a lot, then a mini hot air gun is the best.

• RMweb Gold

If you do a lot, especially on a bench, i would recommend one of these.....

YORKING 858D Soldering Station 220V Hot Air Rework Station Digital Display Desoldering Station Adjustable Hot Air Gun Rework Tool Kit with 3 Nozzles https://amzn.eu/d/fOYyqhb

Also useful for low melt soldering, desoldering kits etc. I have one which is part of a complete soldering station. Very useful!!

For working under the baseboard, i just use the tip of my soldering iron.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I've seen the cigarette lighter used on Youtube. It seemed to work OK, but I was rather concerned about the fire risk.

I don't use the stuff much but when I do I use the soldering iron. If I used it more I'd invest in the hot air gun.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Agree 1

Another vote for a heat gun here. If you have loads to do it's safer and you don't get the risk of fumes released from the plastic.

Have a look and see if they still make them for aero modellers. There used to be an Irvine branded one amongst others.

Edited by Madreddog
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

A heat gun used sparingly or a hair drier (with concentrator if available)  will do the trick. I used to use the soldering iron but a) it stank and b) does not nearly as good as when done properly with a uniform blown heat source.

• Thanks 1

Another recommendation for a mini heat gun here! 

I've had it some time now, the Mrs gave it to me when she cleared out her crafting cupboard, it's got a folding metal stand attached to it so you can put it down straight after use and not worry about it making contact with anything while it cools down, 

Best wishes, 

Jim. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I have always used a soldering iron to "form" heat shrink around cables - and exactly how I want it and with no "collateral" damage.

I'm always on the road and next to never have access to a "heat gun" - I wouldn't use it anyway because of the stray heat going where I don't / can't control it.

Never use the Tip of the soldering iron.

Instead use the "shoulder". It's hotter meaning that you don't even have to touch the heat shrink - and even if you do - the Tip is still not contaminated.

image.png.ea825018182c9f9d7597f1fd0a57c0a2.png

I have never melted heat shrink or cable plastic using this method.

Kev.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

Wafting around un-protected heat sources is not sensible. Some kind of heat gun or a mini/travel hair dryer is a far better option.

Mainly because you can turn them on and off at will, put them down whilst you work on the next task, without worrying about burning smells...

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

a paint stripper will probably be too hot

They work fine if used appropriately, you only have to waft them over the area and they will quickly do the job. Just don't hold it pointing directly at the wiring/sleeving, keep it moving, in and out quick.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1