Peco new N Gauge 16T mineral and tippler wagons

montyburns56

I don't think I imagined this, but I'm sure that I saw a picture of some new wagons from Peco using their re-tooled chassis on a website today. I think it was a 16T mineral wagon,  a tippler wagon and a 12t Vent van, but surprisingly no one seems to have mentioned them. Please tell me that I not not going mad.

So I didn't imagine it and it was on the N Gauge News website where I saw the information.

https://www.ngaugenews.com/post/new-peco-n-gauge-quailty-line-wagons

"Types planned for production include 12t mineral open wagons, 12t box vans and conflats."

It seems that there might also be a Lowfit in the collection or something that looks like one.

• Like 1

The KNR207 was part of a small range of kits (16t mineral, 27t tippler and Pig Iron) Peco brought out on a multi-part 9' w.b. chassis about 20 or so years back. They are rather nice in my opinion. Nothing to do with the ex-Parkside Dundas kits which were all on a 12' wheelbase.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

So I didn't imagine it and it was on the N Gauge News website where I saw the information.

https://www.ngaugenews.com/post/new-peco-n-gauge-quailty-line-wagons

"Types planned for production include 12t mineral open wagons, 12t box vans and conflats."

I think that should be 16t for the Mineral, rather than 12t.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

I think that should be 16t for the Mineral, rather than 12t.

Indeed it should. The perils of posting updates whilst wandering around the NEC! 

Corrected now, thanks Bernard! 

Tom.  

Edited by TomE
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I couldn't make it to Warley... yay for late arriving COVID!

I'm really glad to see PECO is still investing in N gauge. Whilst it looks not to be a direct updated version of their kits (which were a cheapish way to get a decent rake together) the images posted look really good.

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

While the brake gear is not exactly right, as they model it with the earlier high body work so it is not far off the early unfitted builds

Unfortunately they ought have larger springs, different pattern of brake lever, overhead fulcrum arrangement and tiebars. The later fitted wagons are indeed a different kettle of fish. 

Frustrating, as this update really only puts them on a par with the Farish rtr offerings, which have the same deficiencies (see also the Bachmann 4mm model). 

Paul A. 

It's actually quite odd how all the RTR manufacturers in all the major scales go for the earlier high version rather than the later, fitted from new, lower design. I think the late '70s Hornby one had the later body but the underframe was originally that weird mirror-imaged brake handle job and later they used a wooden(!) style underframe.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 19/12/2023 at 11:58, bluedepot said:

The number is familiar, the model brake rigging isn't! https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brmineralweld/e2f25b7b5  I thought N gauge was improving. And no, I cannot remember the last time I had any contact with Peco models. Perhaps the 13t hopper 7mm kit that was promised but never appeared. 

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/12/2023 at 14:09, hmrspaul said:

The number is familiar, the model brake rigging isn't! https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brmineralweld/e2f25b7b5  I thought N gauge was improving. And no, I cannot remember the last time I had any contact with Peco models. Perhaps the 13t hopper 7mm kit that was promised but never appeared. 

Paul

I have to agree Paul, and I'll be honest, I don't want to...

I (and I'm not alone) am slightly baffled by what's going on with these new N gauge Peco wagons. I am always pleased to see new additions for the scale and was very optomistic when the range of new wagons was announced, but most of the models released so far are duplicates of wagons already done to a high standard by Farish years ago, and they aren't an improvement on them. The weakest aspect of the old Peco wagons, for me, was the chassis, and it would appear the weakest aspect of these new wagons is also the chassis. I don't understand the decision behind investing in new tooling and then making the chassis completely inaccurate, with a cutout on the solebar and a ridiculous handbrake situation that can never be disguised or ignored, and generally bares little/no resemblance to the prototype. I appreciate that sometimes we have to accept compromise in N, but it's a bit of an eyesore.

The Farish equivalent is around the same price, a decade older, yet it's still the more refined and better model in my book.

I'm not a fan of this trend for excessively detailed chassis, of which the majority of the effort is totally invisible when it's on the rails. However, I do think the bits that you can see when it is on the rails do need to be there, and they do need to be a fair representation really these days, especially when you're going head-to-head with an existing product that's already well established in the marketplace.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Ordered a couple of these to take a look (including a sad moment of realisation as I would usually order peco stuff through Hattons)

I'm sure the chassis probably is less refined/accurate than the Farish one. I have a number of the Farish but, for me, the refined chassis is far less noticeable than the excessive coupling gap- not a problem of course if you're competent to fit alternatives but I'm not. Based on the revised 5 and 7 planks, I'm hoping that gap is smaller with the peco ones

Yes lots of farish ones in circulation after the last couple of announcements but quite possible that that could be it for a while (NO dig there, just reflecting the Bachmann approach)  With peco there's a stronger likelihood of regular availability. Along with their upcoming vans, I think that's a plus for the staple wagons from the first 30 odd years of BR

Ultimately the plus is that we will all have a choice based on the factors that we each see as most important.

Rob

Edited by Suffolk Rob
Grammar

So my 2 arrived today and I took a look at them alongside my farish ones and the linked pictures and can now see and understand the points made by many of you above

The chassis is notably more refined on the Farish and more correct. On the other hand the bodysides on the peco are notably less thick and they couple, I'd estimate, 2-3mm closer.

So my conclusion is as I said above, you pay your (similar) money and you make your choice. Mine for what it's worth is that when I play with them, I'm viewing them at 45 degrees from a couple of feet away. The sides and the coupling distance are the differences most visible for me so I edge toward Peco whilst still happily running my Farish.

Oh for the ability to combine the best features of each

Rob

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, bluedepot said:

vanfits and pig iron wagons are next in line i believe.

As it happens, it looks like Peco have announced their first Vanfit releases:

unnamed-2024-03-05T083359.610_540x.jpg.19d7d6ce32cf0c14eb94e338f42138c0.jpg

unnamed-2024-03-05T083250.643_540x.jpg.8e799f93c9810687eadfb3487e5ad0e5.jpg

Pictures found on Rails of Sheffield's website.