Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Gaugemaster Infinity.

Madreddog

• RMweb Gold

I am quite interested in this…I am looking to replace my Powercab as the display has started to give up the ghost (bye the bye does anyone know where a new display for the Powercab can be sourced, I can’t find one anywhere) so have an interest in the digital version. 

I rang Gaugemaster  and had a chat about it, it seems the analogue version is to be introduced first with the digital one available around Easter time apparently. No indication as to price although the ( very helpful) chap at GM seemed to think the analogue will be around the £100 mark.

Unfortunately he didn’t know too much about specs or capabilities so undoubtedly we will find out in due course.

• Informative/Useful 1

At least it looks like this new system can run on the same layout (tracks) as a DCC system so nothing becomes redundant. 

I've been looking for a control interface to operate servos and sounds much as l do with my radio controlled tanks so that my collection of OO railguns can operate recoil, smoke, flashes, loading and firing sounds, gun elevation etc.  I was going to use RC to do this as all interfaces are fairly open for user configuration (unlike DCC cards) but Gaugemaster promise more.  Here's hoping.

20221129_214823.jpg

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Sir Topham Hatt said:

At least it looks like this new system can run on the same layout (tracks) as a DCC system so nothing becomes redundant. 

As I read it, the Digital version is a new DCC command station, so it would replace whatever you are currently using.  However the throttles or wireless remotes seem to have the same look and feel across both the analogue and digital versions.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I presume given the current lack of supplies this means the demise of the MRC Prodigy system. Not really surprising. It will be interesting to see what the actual specs are but my initial reaction is the handsets are rather minimalistic and it all just seems like a way to sell lots of ‘add-ons’. Pricing along with those specs will be key of course.

• RMweb Premium
On 28/11/2022 at 13:11, PhilH said:

I am quite interested in this…I am looking to replace my Powercab as the display has started to give up the ghost (bye the bye does anyone know where a new display for the Powercab can be sourced, I can’t find one anywhere) so have an interest in the digital version. 

I rang Gaugemaster  and had a chat about it, it seems the analogue version is to be introduced first with the digital one available around Easter time apparently. No indication as to price although the ( very helpful) chap at GM seemed to think the analogue will be around the £100 mark.

Unfortunately he didn’t know too much about specs or capabilities so undoubtedly we will find out in due course.

Give Digitrains a call. They offered to look at a Powercab I had 'fried' some years ago! Never did that, as I obtained another Handset at a bargain price. Might still try them though as the cost of a second Handset could be worth it, if they can repair the innards.

Phil

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Nile said:

Demise of Prodigy? Not so fast - news from Gaugemaster .

Ah, thanks for that. Given the lack of most stock for a long time, since not long after MRC were taken over, I rather put two and two together. I do however hope that they start using better quality rotary encoders on the handsets. I’ve had those on both my wired and Wi-Fi handsets fail - twice each after just a few years use - and am just now getting the Wi-Fi adapter to use with a dedicated android phone instead. 

Edited by Izzy

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

I do however hope that they start using better quality rotary encoders on the handsets. 

I recently bought a replacement handset for my Prodigy Advance² and noticed the encoder is not indented like on my original Prodigy handset which was beginning to fail. Hopefully this is an upgraded type.
I have since fitted a replacement encoder to my original handset, from Ali Express as Gaugemaster would not supply one, which was also not indented and it's now working fine again.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Free At Last said:

I recently bought a replacement handset for my Prodigy Advance² and noticed the encoder is not indented like on my original Prodigy handset which was beginning to fail. Hopefully this is an upgraded type.
I have since fitted a replacement encoder to my original handset, from Ali Express as Gaugemaster would not supply one, which was also not indented and it's now working fine again.

would you have a link to the encoder you got please?

thanks

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Mike Buckner said:

I wonder, Is this a homebrew system designed by Gaugemaster, or, like the Prodigy, a rebadged American system.

From the press release:

"Designed and manufactured here in the UK and utilising our 45 years of experience in the industry"

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JohnR said:

the connection between the handset and base station,

So what's the point?

You can already control countless DCC systems with a wireless signal, if that's all it's doing it's sunk.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

So what's the point?

You can already control countless DCC systems with a wireless signal, if that's all it's doing it's sunk.

For me, the Infinity on the face of it looks like a very good leap in the right direction. Most existing DCC controllers that are wireless capable I've seen I consider to be dated, over complicated and oversized in their interaction, much like comparing a first generation mobile phone to a modern smart phone. DCC controllers have a lot of catching up to do compared to other technology devices if I'm totally honest.

Edited by thetalkinlens
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, thetalkinlens said:

For me, the Infinity on the face of it looks like a very good leap in the right direction. Most existing DCC controllers that are wireless capable I've seen I consider to be dated, over complicated and oversized in their interaction, much like comparing a first generation mobile phone to a modern smart phone. DCC controllers have a lot of catching up to do compared to other technology devices if I'm totally honest.

To me it looks like a leap in the wrong direction. It's re-inventing DCC and non standard.

The handset looks like many DCC handsets, it has similar functions, in the flesh it looks larger than most and the digital set is not exactly cheap @ £425 rrp

The set also has a proprietry accessory decoder bus so other makes of kit can't be used.

When I first saw it I assumed it was along the lines of the Hornby BT system with direct control of the locos and accessories via BT from a proper handset but better thought out.

If as you say it is only BT from the handset to the base and accessories & locos have to be fed from the base it is rather underwhelming.

I will find out more at Warley as I will re-visit Gaugemaster tomorrow

Edited by melmerby
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Right

I've had a good chat with the guy at the GM stand.

The "Digital" system is a straightforward DCC syetem but using Blue tooth from the handset to the base.

It doesn't support any type of transponding or feedback (for now at least) and the decoders are standard off the shelf loco decoders or accessory decoders.

(No computer control either.)

The Analogue system is a straightforward DC system but again using a BT handset for control.

IIRC what he said correctly, It supports one track per base device, add ons for multitrack use will be available

(One remote can control several tracks with the suitable add-ons)

There is also an accessory bus for point decoders etc

The handsets are bigger than a typical wifi DCC handset e.g. Roco WLAN Maus but have a few extras such as loco fuel level but the digital version is otherwise pretty typical DCC fare.

A good selling point is that it is designed and built in Britain.

I would say the Hornby system is more radical for DC users as it controls the locos directly, so can be used to control multiple locos on the same track, which the GM system cannot.

• Thanks 1

Unless if I’ve read the information wrong, this seems to be a very expensive system for DC use. I currently have a GM Model Q to power my four track sections, points and lights, along with a smoothed GM supply to power my signals. To get the equivalent from Infinity, I would need to get:

1x Duo at £395

2x Acolytes at £390

1x Light Accessory at £45

3x Points Accessory at £150 (one accessory controls up to four points)

1x Signal Accessory at £20

So £1,000 at RRP!  I don’t think the benefit to me over what I currently have could justify that cost. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Knapdale said:

Unless if I’ve read the information wrong, this seems to be a very expensive system for DC use

I don't think you have. I came to the same conclusion. But it looks nice🙂.

Having a BT handset is an expensive gimmick, although it does have some extra functions not found on normal analogue systems, such as fuel consumption, which can be set and will stop the loco once the set amount of fuel is used, requiring a visit to the "fuelling" stop.

With the digital system a lot is being made of the BT link to the base, It's the only thing different to many other systems which offer wifi handsets and the DCC system itself is far from advanced.

I wonder whether there will be an Android/iOS app, allowing phone or tablet control?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Because (like the analogue version) the digital version of this system is using Bluetooth for comms with the wireless handset, it can only accommodate two handsets.

To add any additional handsets, you need to purchase a Consort expansion module for each pair of additional handsets, at another £195 per Consort module.

Most DCC systems that have, or can add, wireless handsets, use WiFi rather than Bluetooth, so no such extra modules are required when adding extra wireless handsets.

The Bachmann Kinesis system doesn’t require any such add-on modules when adding additional “Edge” wireless handsets either.

With an r.r.p. of £399.95 it’s not only cheaper, but comes bundled with their RailController computer control software package, plus a free app to allow the use of a smartphone, or tablet ( iPad etc,) as additional loco and track control (mimic) controllers.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

The Kinesis has a PC USB connection, so layout automation seems probable using iTrain or TrainController etc.

As you say it comes with Bachmann's own auto system at no extra cost, which would probably suit some users

The Infinity doesn't currently have a PC connection.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...