Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The 00 Wishlist Poll Returns!

• RMweb Gold

This is all excellent stuff, Brian and team, so many thanks for all your hard work. It seems that several favourites are now seeing the light of day as a result of your previous efforts.

May I also suggest another 'dimension' to the poll, please?

One of the major (potential) disappointments that I have, when buying new RTR locos (especially steam outline ones) is the quality of the running when in DC mode (that's the only mode that I'm interested in, as I don't 'do' DCC and am unlikely to).

Although the price of new models is inevitably increasing at the moment (not a complaint, just an observation), many British RTR models seem to be comparatively less expensive than continental counterparts. Perhaps there has already been debate about such products being 'built to a budget?'

As such, I for one would be prepared to pay a higher price for any given model, if excellent, smooth running straight-out-of-the-box can be guaranteed. We know it can be done, as evidenced (for example) by the recent Planet Industrials 'Victory' 0-6-0T, which is the best smooth, slow-speed RTR runner I've ever seen in a British outline.

You can, of course, get good runners from the likes of Bachmann, Hornby etc, but such qualities are remarkably inconsistent, even amongst what could be the same batch of identical models.

So, is there any way to ascertain what the general feeling would be about the above issue, please?

Many thanks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Rich

It is, indeed, a 'labour of love' for all of us (not forgetting Andy York there) but we all get a lot out of doing it.

It's a shame we can't maintain The Guide but something 'had to give' due to time constraints.

Enjoy the voting!

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Neal

We ran N gauge for a number of years (with help from the NGS) - as well as Industrial and Underground categories - but had to stop due to time constraints.

We offered all our data and assistance to any responsible group wishing to run N themselves, but - so far - there have been no takers. And that is despite much effort on the part of a number of N modellers.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Neal

We ran N gauge for a number of years (with help from the NGS) - as well as Industrial and Underground categories - but had to stop due to time constraints.

We offered all our data and assistance to any responsible group wishing to run N themselves, but - so far - there have been no takers. And that is despite much effort on the part of a number of N modellers.

Brian,

So have the NGS been approached again this time to assist in running it??

Regards

Neal.

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, Calnefoxile said:

And where's the N Gauge equivalent???

No wonder N gauge is seen as the poor relation!!

9 minutes ago, Calnefoxile said:

We've been through this all before, four years ago - 

Looking back to that the postings from some of the N gauge fraternity were abrasive then too to which I responded:

On 12/10/2018 at 16:37, Andy Y said:

Part of my reticence to be immediately obliging is because of an attitude from some of the N community towards this direction.

It doesn't seem to have changed much and it's fair to say that the combative stance also means that some manufacturers catering for the scale feel similarly. This topic is not for N inferiority complexes but should be raised in another topic if you wish.

Brian and the team put an awful lot of time in and, as OO modellers, have chosen to concentrate their time in OO which makes up around 4/5ths of the UK market, to do the same for N would take as much time again (for the team and me too) plus a bit more for the remaining 1/5th or less. If the NGS or other bodies wish to spend similar amounts of time it's up to them; not for Brian to chase them up.

End of.

• Like 1
  • Agree 10
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold

Would it be possible to have a write-in text box for what "current production" item we would like to see another run of? With the way models are made now if you don't get it when it's made you don't get it. Often I can't afford enough of an item when it comes out and I'm sure I'm not the only one. One particular wagon that I need another 30 of simply doesn't exist for sale either new or second hand and it was only made a couple of years ago.

Andi

• Like 5

1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

We've been through this all before, four years ago - 

Looking back to that the postings from some of the N gauge fraternity were abrasive then too to which I responded:

It doesn't seem to have changed much and it's fair to say that the combative stance also means that some manufacturers catering for the scale feel similarly. This topic is not for N inferiority complexes but should be raised in another topic if you wish.

Brian and the team put an awful lot of time in and, as OO modellers, have chosen to concentrate their time in OO which makes up around 4/5ths of the UK market, to do the same for N would take as much time again (for the team and me too) plus a bit more for the remaining 1/5th or less. If the NGS or other bodies wish to spend similar amounts of time it's up to them; not for Brian to chase them up.

End of.

Andy,

Which kind of answers my question of apathy towards N Gauge.

I didn't say that Brian and the Team should do the same for N Gauge, but as a Wishlist Poll hasn't been run since 2019 surely an approach to the NGS or even the N Gauge Forum, https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php should've at least been tried before dismissing it out of hand especially as the N Gauge version has been run in the past.

Regards

Neal.

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Calnefoxile said:

And where's the N Gauge equivalent???

No wonder N gauge is seen as the poor relation!!

Regards

Neal.

31 minutes ago, Calnefoxile said:

Brian,

Regards

Neal.

Or you can partake in @TomE 's poll

https://www.ngaugenews.com/post/the-n-gauge-news-n-gauge-christmas-wish-list-2022-diesel-electric

It's not quite as detailed as the OO Poll but no doubt it will be looked at by the likes of RevolutioN, Rapido and Bachmann.

If it takes off, perhaps Tom will add steam to the mix.

Edited by woodenhead
forgot a not
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Calnefoxile said:

Which kind of answers my question of apathy towards N Gauge.

It's frustration (from my side); not apathy.

I wouldn't say the militancy is representative of the whole N gauge sector; I see, visit and talk to many as well as getting their layouts into the mag. The inferiority complex just rears it's head periodically and this instance is absolutely the wrong time and place for it and I would say an apology to Brian is owed.

• Agree 2

• Moderators
Just now, woodenhead said:

https://www.ngaugenews.com/post/the-n-gauge-news-n-gauge-christmas-wish-list-2022-diesel-electric

It's quite as detailed as the OO Poll but no doubt it will be looked at by the likes of RevolutioN, Rapido and Bachmann.

Fair play to Tom (top bloke); he's pulled his finger out and done something positive rather than farting in the room.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

2 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

It's not quite as detailed as the OO Poll but no doubt it will be looked at by the likes of RevolutioN, Rapido and Bachmann.

If it takes off, perhaps Tom will add steam to the mix.

Brilliant, thanks for that link... and I'll definitely follow it up.

Cheers

Neal.

• Round of applause 1

7 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

It's frustration (from my side); not apathy.

I wouldn't say the militancy is representative of the whole N gauge sector; I see, visit and talk to many as well as getting their layouts into the mag. The inferiority complex just rears it's head periodically and this instance is absolutely the wrong time and place for it and I would say an apology to Brian is owed.

For what??

I haven't insulted Brian or the Team in any way whatsoever, just asking a question. I don't see why I need to be sorry for asking a question!!!!

Cheers

Neal.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Would it be possible to have a write-in text box for what "current production" item we would like to see another run of? With the way models are made now if you don't get it when it's made you don't get it. Often I can't afford enough of an item when it comes out and I'm sure I'm not the only one. One particular wagon that I need another 30 of simply doesn't exist for sale either new or second hand and it was only made a couple of years ago.

Andi

Hello Andi

We tried that in 2019 as we had been requested to do so but - as we expected - it wasn't worth the effort. I'm sorry but it is more time-consuming than it may sound!

As it happens, the Class 37 and Class 31 (with the GWR 14xx) were the most-requested locos but even those only garnered 33, 17 and 23 votes respectively.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Calnefoxile said:

I don't see why I need to be sorry for asking a question!!!!

Because it's a distraction from this topic and what it's intended for. It just came across as very shouty and belligerent which, knowing how much time the team put it into it all, is upsetting. Excess question and exclamation marks give that impression too.

• Agree 1

• Moderators

'nuff said.

But my issue is with RMWeb really and trying to highlight the apathy on RMWeb towards N Gauge, we all know that N is a minority gauge to OO, but I would've though that RMWeb/BRM would at least try and cover all...

Ahh well, let's see how long I get on the naughty step for daring to question the mighty Andy Y    

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=58248.0

• Friendly/supportive 1