Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The 00 Wishlist Poll Returns!

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

We are thread-drifting, though, and this is not the best place for this discussion.  

Hello everyone

Yes...we are 'thread drifting'. Can we please stay on topic of The 00 Wishlist Poll 2022?

As noted by Andy, a separate thread (or Poll) will do the subject much greater justice than here.

Many thanks

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

May I say a BIG THANK YOU to all who have so far downloaded the Poll poster?

Although the Poll Team itself sends out a fair number of Press Releases etc, we really do need your help to get the message as far and wide as possible. If your club or society wants more information, I am here to help.

The more voters we have taking part, the better the overall results in terms of representation and differentiation. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

We are thread-drifting, though, and this is not the best place for this discussion.  

Agree with that comment Johnster, and if I wasn't in the middle of a very messy house move I would now actually be thinking of starting either a new thread or a workshop blog. 

3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I’d say that current DC RTR running quality in general is pretty good; certainly better than the bad old days of the 70s and 80s, when we had those awful pancake motors and plastic spur gears.  These things were pretty feeble, and had to run at very high rpm to develop any power with which to pull trains, resulting in the reduction gearing which introduced a lot of drag and friction, added to by the metal clips which held the spur gears in place but pressin sideways on them.   With traction tyres, Satan’s expectorant, spreading crud all over the layout and compromising pickup performance as well as denying any pickup at all on that wheel, any chance of decent, controlled slow running or smooth starts and stops was out the window before you’d started.

Suffice to say on your comments above, I stumbled across these recently: https://www.strathpefferjunction.com/Hornby-lima-ringfield-motor-upgrade-conversion-kits/ which, along with Ultrascale wheels, are a real game changer.  So far I have "updated" the pancake motor on a kit-bashed EMU for Nictun Borrud (took less than 5 minutes) and I have a Lima 33 on the bench being converted into an Orbit Track Cleaner (including putting a CD drive motor into the pancake housing).

When I get a chance a blog about the 33 will follow...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Yes...we are 'thread drifting'. Can we please stay on topic of The 00 Wishlist Poll 2022?

As noted by Andy, a separate thread (or Poll) will do the subject much greater justice than here.

Many thanks

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Big James said:

Glad to see the poll back. I always enjoyed it. Great shout with the selection of SR prototypes. 

Big James

I feel now is the right time to start on the BSL Ironclads from the stash.  Pull-Push set first I think...

😜

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Tim Dubya said:

feel now is the right time to start on the BSL Ironclads from the stash.  Pull-Push set first I think...

I feel the same. I had a golden arrow D1 looking at me and then rails announced there’s. Now the same goes for the golden arrow O1 and Q class. Wouldn’t surprise me if I started to put it together and it gets announced. 

Big James

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Hello Din

We were running yearly, but stopped for a while from 2019 and ran The Quirky Poll. We will now alternate between the two (so, Quirky will run in 2023 with The 00 Poll again in 2024 etc).

Brian (on behalf  of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thank you! @BMacdermott and team.

We always enjoy the polls that you have run in the past and Yes! As has been alluded already, there have been several success items recently with “wish list” items now in production.

Looking forward to casting my vote on Monday and seeing the results in January.

Excellent stuff.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Great you are doing this again Brian . I've always viewed this as a bit of fun but its a lot of hard work for you and the team . Hopefully interesting ,though, and it must be nice to see manufacturers react to it in their introductions .

I think for me , I've got most of the locos and rolling stock required , so wish lists are likely to be things I'd really be interested in buying rather than the perhaps more scatter gun approach i've used before . I wonder if others are in a similar position , with all the recent models introduced will we identify top candidates with laser like precision or ,conversely, will it lead to a fragmented list of somewhat esoteric prototypes . KR models will be thrilled!  Whatever it is it will be interesting as usual. 

• RMweb Gold

Hello Legend

Many thanks for the kind comments which are appreciated by The Team.

The guiding principle of The Poll is as we say in the Q&A on page 1 - repeated below. You can vote for whatever you like as long as it follows this premise.

Regards

What is the purpose of The Poll?  

To provide railway modellers and collectors with an easy way of indicating to companies making or commissioning 00 ready-to-run models which models they would realistically buy if made at some time in the future.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Very many thanks to the 110 people who have so far downloaded The Poll poster.

And we hope the 507 of you who have so far downloaded 'the contents' PDF are enjoying your browsing.

We will be asking the Mods to 'close off' this thread as we are about to 'go live' tomorrow (Monday 12 December). Look for our thread: The 00 Wishlist Poll 2022.

Enjoy the voting!

Note to Mods: Grateful if this thread could be 'closed off'. Many thanks.

• Like 2

• AY Mod locked this topic