Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The N Gauge News N Gauge Christmas Wish List - 2022: Diesel & Electric

I've just noticed that there is a poll/Wish list on the N Gauge News website. I don't know if it will actually inspire any manufacturer, but it might be interesting to see what N gauge diesel/electric modellers actually want. *anything please, we're starving for new models*  😁

https://www.ngaugenews.com/post/the-n-gauge-news-n-gauge-christmas-wish-list-2022-diesel-electric

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

It's a great poll - just remember to click on the "See all results" button for each section to see the complete list rather than just the top four.

I'd suggest that we're also starving for some old models - a few more liveries on class 37 & a re-run of the likes of a Black five wouldn't go a miss. Ditto some coaches to run behind them!

Steven B.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

ES1 in the poll, but no options for ex-NER Bo-Bo freight electrics or No.13 express passenger electric?  No option for NER/LNER Tyneside electric MU stock?  No option for the Armstrong Whitworth experimental diesel-electric trialled on the LNER in the 1930s?  In response to the cries of “too niche”, the poll includes many one-offs and prototypes which, if produced, would nearly all be bought under Rule 1 and possibly in faux liveries for “might have been” scenarios.  I would suggest that a “might have been” electrified/dieselised LNER layout is just as attractive a modelling proposition and would also generate Rule 1 sales, given that all but the A/W diesel survived into the 1950s and consideration was given to modifying the EF Bo-Bos for use elsewhere on the 1500v dc network.

Yours in froth,

RichardT

Edited by RichardT
Correcting autocorrect

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, rogerzilla said:

I'd like a class 21/29 but that's been tried, and failed.

Given they have done the class 21/29 in OO, and the class 22 in both OO and N, Dapol are in a pretty good position to know whether a 21/9 in N would be viable or not. I'd have thought it would be more likely to be viable than a class 28, but perhaps not. As a 29, it was most well known for its work on the West Highland from 1967–71, where it dominated proceedings, but that doesn't seem to be the most popular era — most probably think the class 27 dominated this line from the early 1960s to the middle 1980s, but there was a period in between when this wasn’t the case.

1 hour ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Given they have done the class 21/29 in OO, and the class 22 in both OO and N, Dapol are in a pretty good position to know whether a 21/9 in N would be viable or not. I'd have thought it would be more likely to be viable than a class 28, but perhaps not. As a 29, it was most well known for its work on the West Highland from 1967–71, where it dominated proceedings, but that doesn't seem to be the most popular era — most probably think the class 27 dominated this line from the early 1960s to the middle 1980s, but there was a period in between when this wasn’t the case.

RevolutioN offered a 21/29 but did not get enough interest, whether Dapol will take a punt I guess will depend how well they do with their revamped M7 and Ivatt.

23 minutes ago, Taigatrommel said:

Shape issues, wrongly placed details on the cab front.  There are more recent and more accurate models available to vote for on the list.

Don't hold your breath for Bachmann, plenty other fish in the sea for them, ditto Rapido and Revolution.

Accurascale have no interest in N.

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Don't hold your breath for Bachmann, plenty other fish in the sea for them, ditto Rapido and Revolution.

Never say never :) we have manufactured quite a few items in 2mm already. :) 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I've got no expectations of an new one appearing, I was really just commenting on it being missing from the poll.

1 minute ago, Taigatrommel said:

I've got no expectations of an new one appearing, I was really just commenting on it being missing from the poll.

I guess like the OO poll it's too soon to be planning another, unless someone has one 'oven ready' @McC.

The Deltic, 47 and 37 would all be higher on the list of models to redo, but behind the Peaks though Rapido have started that race off now with the 44, expect Bachmann to react I think.

• RMweb Premium

The Farish 37 and 47 have their faults but I wouldn't rush to replace mine. More regular re-runs and somenew liveries wouldn't go amiss.  The headcode box on the Dapol 50 makes me wince every time I see it!

Still plenty of other models I'd produce before duplicating a loco though. Plenty of steam era suburban, Mk2b, c d & e, and Mk4 for starters. Then there's wagons and multiple units aplenty!

Steven B

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

The only issue I have with the (current) Farish 37 is the ride height — I can see the tops of the wheels. This problem doesn't seem to affect the class 31, and I don't know whether it's an inevitable consequence of needing to negotiate sharper than prototype curves. 

The old Triang-Hornby class 37 of the 1960s looked wrong to me at the time, in a way that the Brush type 2 and Hymek didn't. That may be partly down to the fact that it was centre-headcode, when all the local ones (Newcastle area) were split-headcode, and partly because I'd never seen either of the others at that time (still haven't seen a Hymek, come to that) but it too had a particularly excessive ride height.

The Farish Deltic is pretty recent, isn't it?  I had a two-tone green D9009 when first released a couple of years back, but the lime green and yellow looked really wrong, so I sold it on.  Much too washed-out compared to a real one.

Edited by rogerzilla

• RMweb Premium

Nothing much wrong with the current Farish 37, 47 and 55. No need for yet more retools here.

On the other hand, the Dapol Class 50 is so wonky donkey that I can't even bring myself to look at it.