Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Old things that are still going, I mean apart from The Johnster…

On 29/12/2022 at 13:12, Steamport Southport said:

Blimey, you're right. It's only the chassis that seems to have been replaced.

I must have been looking at something else very similar with the LMS style doors all these years. Not the Mainline one.

It might have been my brother's as I don't have it.

Did Graham Farish or somebody do one?

Jason

Pat Hammond did a nice piece in the Hornby Collectors Club mag earlier in the year on it, confirming it's the same mould- the only difference is the plank lines don't show up so much now because of the age of it :)

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

How accurate is it?  Probably not very, since the RTR trade seems incapable of supplying a scale cattle wagon with proper detail, but if it is reasonably close to the right size, then a bit of work to the bodyshell could make it a worthwhile project.  Scribing new plank lines, opening out the drain slats at the bottom, bit of door detail, and a new chassis, and of course a decent paint job and proper numbers (CCTUK does a sheet that I think covers this wagon), and you've got a nice little model for not much outlay.

45 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

How accurate is it?  Probably not very, since the RTR trade seems incapable of supplying a scale cattle wagon with proper detail, but if it is reasonably close to the right size, then a bit of work to the bodyshell could make it a worthwhile project.  Scribing new plank lines, opening out the drain slats at the bottom, bit of door detail, and a new chassis, and of course a decent paint job and proper numbers (CCTUK does a sheet that I think covers this wagon), and you've got a nice little model for not much outlay.

Try Hornby. The Maunsell and Bulleid cattle wagons are amongst the best RTR wagons around.

The Oxford LNER wagons would have been fantastic if the designer would have known about them being "handed" which totally messed up the partition and partition rack. The newer version omits the rack completely.

Why anyone is still looking at things from the Ark is a bit strange when you've got things like this and at a reasonable price.

R6827_3283575_Qty1_1.jpg

R6737A_3196880_Qty1_1.jpg

R6737A_3196880_Qty1_3.jpg

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stockdetail?sid=164288

Jason

• RMweb Gold

I was only wondering; there’s nowt wrong with stuff out of the ark if it’s to scale and can be worked up.  Nowt wrong with a Southern cattle van either, only as a 1950s ere modeller I would prefer an accurate LMS van because that’s what the bulk of them were, and for all I know, this silurian era model might be capable of being worked up into something a bit better than the ‘impressionist’ Bachmann ex-Mainline toy, despite having toy credentials of it’s own.  I mean, I doubt it, but it’s worth asking the question!

11 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I was only wondering; there’s nowt wrong with stuff out of the ark if it’s to scale and can be worked up.  Nowt wrong with a Southern cattle van either, only as a 1950s ere modeller I would prefer an accurate LMS van because that’s what the bulk of them were, and for all I know, this silurian era model might be capable of being worked up into something a bit better than the ‘impressionist’ Bachmann ex-Mainline toy, despite having toy credentials of it’s own.  I mean, I doubt it, but it’s worth asking the question!

Get the Parkside one.

https://peco-uk.com/products/lms-cattle-wagon

They also do the LNER type with the correct "handed" sides which Oxford got wrong.

https://peco-uk.com/products/lner-standard-cattle-truck?_pos=9&_sid=f7a4d1355&_ss=r

One from the Ark and relevant to the thread, but still a very good model is the Slater MR cattle wagon. Must be from the 1960s. Some of those lasted until the 1950s.

https://slatersplastikard.com/linePage.php?suffix=JPG&code=4031

Jason

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes. the Parky is the way to go.  I like their kits, shake-the-box, good runners once they're ballasted, and complete with wheels and transfers for my period.  The Slaters MR is a possible as well, right at the end of it's life by my period but a lot of character, a relic from another age, not far off being suitable as a dilapidated farm shed but I think a GW would be more likely.  I'll avoid the LNER, as I have what I think is a disproportionate number of ex-LNER wagons on the layout.  There need to be some of course, but in the early 50s somewhere between a third and a half of the general merchandise stock was LMS with more still being built, and the new BR standards beginning to make their mark, and this should be reflected at Cwmdimbath, so I've declared a moratorium on more LNER wagons until I think the balance is redressed. 

• RMweb Gold

having had a cursory glance, I'd tend to agree that the Tri-ang signals & lever switches are probably the oldest items still on sale. The switches are pretty bomb-proof, and still quite capable of performing their function(s). 

For an analogue Luddite like me, just the job! 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, tomparryharry said:

having had a cursory glance, I'd tend to agree that the Tri-ang signals & lever switches are probably the oldest items still on sale. The switches are pretty bomb-proof, and still quite capable of performing their function(s). 

For an analogue Luddite like me, just the job! 

I think that the R044 black point motor passing contact switch is the oldest item still on sale.  The original R number was R44. It has been produced from 1955 onwards and originally cost 5 shillings and 10 pence.  You can use it to calculate inflation. 

There was originally an R144 lever frame base to hold the lever frames in position so they could use a common return but this seems to have gone out of production.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Robin Brasher said:

I think that the R044 black point motor passing contact switch is the oldest item still on sale.  The original R number was R44. It has been produced from 1955 onwards and originally cost 5 shillings and 10 pence.  You can use it to calculate inflation. 

There was originally an R144 lever frame base to hold the lever frames in position so they could use a common return but this seems to have gone out of production.

Couple on E-Bay right now...

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/12/2022 at 16:07, Steamport Southport said:

How old are the GEM levers and cranks? ISTR them in very old Railway Modellers.

They were still available until very recently.

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/3_manufacturer/gem/

Now under John Day and some models have started to reappear.

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/3_manufacturer/gem/

Jason

Pack of 6 omega loops £11.50! Ouch