Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Old things that are still going, I mean apart from The Johnster…

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I don't think I've ever seen the coke wagon so it might have been discontinued before my time.

I did buy the GWR Open C Tube and NBR Cask wagons. ISTR the first of those I got was from the Festiniog Railway shop in the late 1970s and must have been amongst the first railway kits I bought that wasn't Airfix. Probably cost pennies!

Other old wagon kits still going are the Wills kits.

http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/Wagons/Wagons Page 1.htm

Jason

The Cask wagon at least was available a few years ago as a 'Limited Edition'. Whether that meant they had done some temporary repairs to the mould, or had actually found some unsold ones, I don't know.

4 hours ago, 41516 said:

Incorrect I'm afraid gents.  The Ratio Iron Mink has been replaced once and isn't the '1500' series original. 

Original issue (1503) in grey and replacement/current kit (5063) below. 

image.png.f1c28b9a51b54cd2fd94626b6f0baf07.png

image.png.370e5831bd10c0533f298c605c152695.png

image.png.59e5d1bcaeef3ae00b575c3ef710169b.png

Still over well fifty years old though.

I'm afraid that's still ancient, the clue is the attachments for those awful couplings from the time.

Time for a new one I reckon.

Jason

6 hours ago, kevinlms said:

The Cask wagon at least was available a few years ago as a 'Limited Edition'.

The '1500' series (1501 coke wagon, 1502 Iron ore hopper and 1503 Iron Mink) were all supposed to be 'limited editions' of 1500, hence the numbering convention - whether that was true or not I don't know.  Same originally for the Open C and Cask wagon I believe.

5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Time for a new one I reckon.

Best hope is for the much nicer ex-ABS kit to return now that Rapido's done one RTR.

One that gets overlooked is the runner-wagon for the Hornby breakdown crane (Cowans-Sheldon), which I'm pretty sure is the 'Integral' low-sided wagon from Triangs clockwork range. I don't have the Pat Hammond bibles to hand, but it must be at least early 1960's?

9 hours ago, Ben B said:

One that gets overlooked is the runner-wagon for the Hornby breakdown crane (Cowans-Sheldon), which I'm pretty sure is the 'Integral' low-sided wagon from Triangs clockwork range. I don't have the Pat Hammond bibles to hand, but it must be at least early 1960's?

1969. The earlier one-piece wagons were shorter, an open and a van. There are two versions of the runner wagon used with that crane, one on a separate chassis.

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

RTR? Has to be the Jinty, SECR tank, and a black princess Elizabeth.

Sorry Ian, these don’t count, it has to be something still available new in a fundamentally unaltered form, continuously or intermittently, from it’s introduction to the present.  If not, the Hornby Dublo 0-6-2T would be the undoubted winner. 

15 hours ago, russ p said:

The triang brick Bridge and viaduct must be quite old , wasn't the tunnel Parton the Thomas range until recently 

IIRC the bridge and viaduct date from around 1960, so certainly a bit long in the tooth!  The Grand Victorian Suspension Bridge was introduced at the same time. Not bad models either, a bit of weathering and they’ll still pass muster on most layouts!  The tunnel is I think from the 60s but a little later, around the same time as the red-brick flat-roofed ‘modern’ (at the time) station buildings and the platforms that went with them; these latter, or something very much like them, are still in the range, I believe.  I preferred the earlier Rovex platforms and buildings, which looked more like most railway buildings I was familiar with, though my local haunt, Cardiff General, had more in common with HD’s 1938 art deco buildings.  I was still using a Rovex waiting room, glazed, card strip slates, painted to represent render, and weathered, as a shunters’ cabin on a layout in the late 80s!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Sorry Ian, these don’t count, it has to be something still available new in a fundamentally unaltered form, continuously or intermittently, from it’s introduction to the present.  If not, the Hornby Dublo 0-6-2T would be the undoubted winner. 

Ah, sorry! What about the Tri-ang lineside fencing?  Re-released a couple of years back.

Replacement fishplates?

R617 uncoupler, and the R394, hydraulic buffer stop

Edited by tomparryharry
More information.

• RMweb Gold

Closer to the mark, and you may be on to something with the fencing!  Fishplates no, Hornby have been using code 100 for a long time now.  IIRC the fencing came out with ‘super 4’ track, which it could clip to between the sleepers.  When was that, about 1962?  Bernard TPM’s Slater’s ‘Huminiature’ figures from 1950 are still the winners at the moment, and acceptable on modern layouts set in that era.  Some Hornby lineside stuff is generically Merit, and could even be pre-Rovex if it was originally intended to be used with HD or Trix Twin railways, but, being plastic, I doubt it; it was Rovex who introduced plastic toolings to the model railway world.  

Edited by The Johnster

18 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

RTR? Has to be the Jinty, SECR tank, and a black princess Elizabeth.

Well, the current Hornby Jinty dates from 1978 so is on the verge of counting and unless they do a new one I can see it lasting in the catalogue as a Railroad model for quite a few years. Had a few make overs but is substantially the same model.

Currently in the Crash Set masquerading as the old Triang model with other things that were around when Noah was a lad. The crane certainly counts.

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/tri-ang-railways-rewind-rs30-crash-train-set-r1285m

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Not surprising that most of the older stuff we’ve highlighted here is Hornby, as they are the oldest of our RTR companies still in existence, originally as Rovex, then Triang, Triang Hornby, and now Hornby.  Nothing from the Rovex days survives, though some Triang items from 1960/61 such as the arch bridge and 3-arch viaduct, and the re-introduced LOTI and the shorty clerestories(great name for a band, btw) does. 

Peco and Slaters are older, though. 

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Well, the current Hornby Jinty dates from 1978 so is on the verge of counting and unless they do a new one I can see it lasting in the catalogue as a Railroad model for quite a few years. Had a few make overs but is substantially the same model.

Currently in the Crash Set masquerading as the old Triang model with other things that were around when Noah was a lad. The crane certainly counts.

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/tri-ang-railways-rewind-rs30-crash-train-set-r1285m

Jason

The box photo of the 1950s, to be in real style of the period, would have 'Dad', with a pipe in hand, perhaps using it as a pointer!

The one that was lettered SR was 1973 I think and usually described as a Sheep Wagon.

http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_year_details.asp?itemyearid=1005

Seems to have replaced this one which did date back to the 1950s. Which looks like a reasonable for it's time model of a LMS Cattle Wagon.

http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_details.asp?itemid=492

I think the main differences were around the door area. Definitely retooled.

image.png.dac234ad40f8a42fb50810976b086f90.png

Jason

21 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

I can't see any obvious difference round the doors from the Tri-ang version.

TriangCattle.jpg.da0190e4d4c3e20abed8180d25597b12.jpg

Blimey, you're right. It's only the chassis that seems to have been replaced.

I must have been looking at something else very similar with the LMS style doors all these years. Not the Mainline one.

It might have been my brother's as I don't have it.

Did Graham Farish or somebody do one?

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Blimey, you're right. It's only the chassis that seems to have been replaced.

I must have been looking at something else very similar with the LMS style doors all these years. Not the Mainline one.

It might have been my brother's as I don't have it.

Did Graham Farish or somebody do one?

They certainly did in their N gauge range and many (though not all) of those were based on models they'd previously done in 00.

There was another plastic version between your chassis and mine that had the riveted on steel couplings. The earliest version, before mine, would have had the Mk.2 couplings. So same body with at least four different (but identically sized) chassis under it.