Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

New Years modelling resolutions 2023

Kris

• RMweb Premium

2023 is upon us, so it is time to set those New Year resolutions. Can you stick to them this year or just how soon will you break them?

For me, my modelling resolutions will be to:

- Finish relaying the track on the goods yard section of Coombe down. 

- Build up at least 1 coach kit that is in the stash. 

- Continue spending very little on models.

So over to you, what are your resolutions?

Remember its just for fun and you never know setting a resolution or two might just help you do some more modelling. 

• Like 1

Main thing - not to let the spectre of defeat keep me away from the workbench. So often it takes me for ever to pluck up the courage to lift the iron in case I mess things up. I spend far more time worrying about making mistakes than actually making stuff. It’s almost as if modelling is some kind of esoteric ritual and if all the elements aren’t in place the magic won’t work….A friend of mine at work was discussing a similar issue recently and he uses a 20 minute timer for intimidating tasks. You set the timer and focus on that task for 20 minutes. With a clear end goal in sight, it’s not so scary.  I tried it and it’s a really good way to just sit down and do something - and keep going after 20 if it’s going well. This panel of 5’3 track actually took about 20 minutes as it turned out….

D93A0F53-AC7C-460B-9667-19CC51007C99.jpeg

Edited by Irish Padre
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

My new years modelling resolution is to extend the layout outwards, make a well in the middle to operate it and get it running. 

My life goals for next year is to put my partner through her driving test, achieve my promotion and get my dog a companion. 

Big James

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

When I started Cwmdimbath just over 6 years ago, after a 30 year gap in modelling, I resolved (generally and not in connection with new year's) to finish projects before starting the next one, and not to have more than one on the go at a time.  I've slipped a little in the last 2 years and have 3 simultaneously, all stalled for various reasons, at the moment. 

So, my new year's rezzo is to get to grips with them and sort it out so that I can return to the original disciplined and organised approach.  Project 1 is the attempt to cobble a 44xx using a reversed Bachmann 4575 chassis and a K's bodyshell, with the wheels from the K's; I can scrub this one altogether as there is an RTR 44xx pending from Rapido, though this means a new project to restore the donor 4575 to running order. 

Project 2 is a similarly themed bit of kitbashing cut'n'shut, a perhaps ill-advised Collett 1938 31xx with the bodyshell made up of Airfix prairie running plate, cylinders, and motion on which sits a Mainline 43xx boiler, the Airfix Prairie tanks, and a Mainline 56xx cab and bunker.  The mech is from a Bachmann Ivatt 4MT mogul which has been savagely attacked with a hacksaw; wheels are the right size and spacing.  This is going to be an 'impressionist' layout model at best, but so far is capturing the general look of this, the ultimate large prairie, no.4 boiler and 5'3" wheels.  Looks a bit like a 4575 on steroids; scaled up, hunkered down low, broad shouldered, and mean looking, something of a thug of a loco.

Project 3 is the High Level chassis for the Hornby L&Y pug I bought last year as a possible colliery loco.  The basic frame of this is complete, cylinder mounts and bearings in place and the next stage is to install the axles and cog gear in the gearbox, and fit the motor and worm.  My nerve needs stiffening before I start this phase, as the success of the loco is predicated on it, but there is no reason to think that I cannot manage the task!

The resolution is not time restricted, but once one of p2 or p3 is started, I intend to complete it before the next project, and not to take on any more such projects until both are complete.  Discipline, Johnster-me-lad, discipline!!!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

To finish what I have started. And to order less. 

( unfinished projects: Repair black 5, finish new fiddle yard for Donnersbachkogel, chip 5 continental second hand locos/trains (OBB1020, 2060, 1189, 1041, 4010)

• Like 3

1. Now I've got the railway room,  move in

Work to that end starts Monday

2. Move more wagons from the erecting shop through the paint shop 

3. Not spend so much, but now I see Piko are bringing out an SM31 and there are going to be more versions of the EN57 (not just Piko's)  , that could be a tricky one.

Andy

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I really don't make resolutions any more - they are just another thing to feel guilty about if [ when ] I fail. But for this year I *hope* to work out an acceptable (to me) plan for a roundy-roundy Ybbstalbahn layout that I can actually fit into the available temporary space (small - no chance of the double-headed 15-coach Christmas train I saw on youtube) - at the moment I can't get my head around the "needs to partly run alongside a road, needs a bridge over some water, needs to sensibly fit the side-of-a-valley landscape" desiderata.

Oh, and have another go at trying to produce prototype parts for a station building (vaguely Bramber, Southwater, Partridge Green style) and a prototype for the matching platform (did I mention I get obsessional about brick bonds and the faces of platforms and the need in this case for proud courses at the top and bricks at the edge rather than overhanging paving ?)

OK, it's only been 5 years so far for that last one, maybe I'll get a round tuit one day.

ĸen

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Believing that our western new year's day is a man made concept that does not mark any fixed astronomical point or even a anniversary, I don't hold with new year's resolutions.

However I have had what some would call a notable birthday, so in the next decade my resolution is that I will complete the layout under construction and not get diverted by other modelling tasks. The only caveat to this if I come into a reasonable sum of money I would explore TT:120.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KeithHC said:

To start my very first layout……… just to make it fun based on a real location and in EM as well.

Keith

"Good luck, we're all counting on you." qu. Leslie Nielson. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

To make something - anything -  in either O gauge or n gauge and to run the layouts regularly.

I used to build locos, stock and so on but need to get back into doing it.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
Just now, DaveF said:

To make something - anything -  in either O gauge or n gauge and to run the layout regularly.

David

I am doing all three of those already Dave (well, it is 2mm finescale rather than N)! So mine must be to do more for myself. Every model I have finished recently has been for other people.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3

Western Resolutions

1. More modelling without guilt. I love it and that is enough justification

2. Breathe and be patient when things go wrong. Put the tools down and take 5 mins (Never smash things!). 

3. Wear an apron and stop wiping stuff on my clothes!! 

4. Control envy (remove youtube app from phone) 

Western Goals

1. Design and start new layout

2. Produce an item to base a modelling article around

3.refine use of airbrush

4. Build an O gauge wagon to try out modelling at that scale. 

Best wishes folks. Happy new year. 

• Like 5

Have Radio 2 with Tony Blackburn on and,it has to be said,he's playing some fine tunes.

Am today continuing with some projects that have stalled,due to lack of motivation.

Am aiming to finish,or as close as poss,two Replica Railways Mk. 1 FO's,despite my limited painting/applying lining transfers skills,and doing some minor roof mods to a Bachmann BG.Then it will be back to roof mods on some of my Dapol 22's.

Nothing very skilled or earth-shattering,but quite relaxing,hopefully leading to more projects coming to fruition in 2023,which is my aim.I may even start a layout...

Happy New Year,

Neil

• Like 2

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 31/12/2022 at 07:22, Kris said:

2023 is upon us, so it is time to set those New Year resolutions. Can you stick to them this year or just how soon will you break them?

For me, my modelling resolutions will be to:

- Finish relaying the track on the goods yard section of Coombe down. 

- Build up at least 1 coach kit that is in the stash. 

- Continue spending very little on models.

So over to you, what are your resolutions?

Remember its just for fun and you never know setting a resolution or two might just help you do some more modelling. 

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

I believed that I failed all of these resolutions. My excuse life, it just got in the way. 

I will ask Andy to start the 24 New Years Resolution thread in a day or 2. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 31/12/2022 at 20:24, Vecchio said:

To finish what I have started. And to order less. 

( unfinished projects: Repair black 5, finish new fiddle yard for Donnersbachkogel, chip 5 continental second hand locos/trains (OBB1020, 2060, 1189, 1041, 4010)

Here we go. Black 5 repaired, still not happy, pre-ordered the new Hornby one. 

Fiddle yard: Done, just need to adapt the scenic moduls to fit to it... if I am quick this happens still in 2023. Shouldn't sit here but work in the shed...

Chip second hand locos: OBB 1020 done, 4 more to go.... 

To order less.... Well, didn't happen. Two class 37, a bunch of wagons, one Belgium shunter (second hand), a Scottish DMU, a Caledonian pug (second hand), two Austrian DMUs, one Austrian shunter, three Austrian narrow gauge locos (well all three second hand...), two 7mm shunters on pre-order, one 66 and one 37 on pre order.  

• Like 1

Well. Got a lot of kits gone.

Must cut back on buying  job lots. 

Make the kits I have.

Make some more foreign locomotives and rolling stock.

And a bit more 0 gauge, battery stuff!

"The best laid plans gang aft aglay!" ...I think...

• Like 1

I have a number of resolutions but the main one is to somehow convince SWMBO that, after 30 years, it is time to stop ‘rebuilding’ the house and to start my next layout. You will probably learn of my sudden death on Tuesday.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2