The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Leaving the hobby

BSG75

Hi everyone. After 50 years I'm leaving the hobby. The final straw came when I broke off a set of footsteps just trying to get a model out of its packaging. But the truth is I've been struggling with the idea of £30 5 planks for a while; models that are made in such limited numbers; models like the 47xx that come as a kit of parts. I miss the days when duchess of sutherland was in the catalogue for years, giving you time to save up. I've had too many "mint" second hand models arrive with detailing parts glued on to a poor standard. The second hand market is just too much of a lucky dip. Its just not for me anymore 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

Don't leave. Just take a break & give yourself time to have a think. I have downed tools before, taken a break & thought I would never come back to it...but I did.

There are plenty of different aspects to modelling. Scratchbuilding may be more expensive per building than buying RTR/kit (which I didn't realise until I tried it) but it is infinitely more rewarding. It takes a lot of time too, which makes it cheaper overall.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

As.  @Pete the Elaner    says there are many aspects to the hobby. Which hobby does @BSG75f feel they have to leave?  To some extent I left the hobby they describe a few years ago for the same reason. However I followed the route suggested by @Pete the Elaner  I don't mind the perceived lack of detail in older models and these can be picked up a shows, rather than online. Scratch building all the structures etc. I am now on my way to my dream layout at minimum cost and increased enjoyment.

At the end of the day it's a hobby which you can choose from others to get entertainment etc from non essential spending and any leisure time.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, BSG75 said:

……. the truth is I've been struggling with the idea of £30 5 planks for a while; …….

Have some pity for those modelling modern and contemporary era’s where modern bogie wagons cost anything from £35 or £40 minimum, up to as much as £90 each.

A rake of 6 of these wagons can easily cost something like £300 or more.

I can understand why all the costs have gone up, but for something as basic as a 5 plank wagon……..????

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Then join the Hornby Railway Collectors Association, Head down to one of their shows with a modest amount of money, and indulge yourself. 6 coaches for under 30 quid? No problem. All the stuff is well made and easily serviced. It runs well too. OK, we aren't talking the latest hifi RTR, but if you want an enjoyable model railway, it's well worth a look. 

Great post Phil. Throwing a lifeline there. Well done.

I'd just add that this happens frequently, but I find that sitting down for a few hours, listening to a choice of Music and on my own, to build Plastic Wagon Kits, seems to refocus my  head. Most Kits are less than £15. Sometimes completed in less than 45 minutes and lining them up ready for detailing is quite Mindful. 

When I was once in quite a 'dark place' motivation and mental Health wise,  someone said remember how to eat that 'Elephant'. Small bits and little and often.

Good luck BSG75, a new year and a new direction matey.

Phil (another one).

• Like 7
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Is it necessary to place so much importance on buying new locos and stock?  On the assumption that you've already got a fair amount, how about consolidating what you've got and set about building a layout with scratch built buildings and scenery?  It may be that you've already got a layout, in which event perhaps a new one could be built, using as much track and stuff as possible from the old to keep costs down.  I can't really imagine giving the hobby up altogether.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

You can get a lot of action in a small space in a Hornby Dublo layout and the locomotives, track, buildings and rolling stock seem to last forever. My Sir Nigel Gresley is coming up for 70 years old and still going strong without bits falling off.  I cannot imagine life without a model railway. 

P1010705.JPG

• Like 17
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

Try the "lucky dip" route to railway modelling, "Collectors centres", antique shops, charity shops, bootsales, 2nd hand shops, small ads, Basefook marketplace. Find something, anything cheap, haggle, grab then convert, restore, resell, repaint, reuse! Give yer brain a rest and have a bit of fun! Latest purchase for me? G scale Christmas train set with loco, tender,box van and caboose, sound and smoke, fully working, charity shop, £5! May pass it on to my mate as he's contemplating a garden railway in the FRONT garden, mad! If it gets damaged, nicked or eaten it was only a fiver. C'mon, don’t leave, open your mind......woooooooo!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

You can get a lot of action in a small space in a Hornby Dublo layout and the locomotives, track, buildings and rolling stock seem to last forever. My Sir Nigel Gresley is coming up for 70 years old and still going strong without bits falling off.  I cannot imagine life without a model railway. 

P1010705.JPG

That orange curved-chord truss bridge, two questions:

1. Who made it, and

2. How wide is the actual roadway? TIA

I see an On2­½ bridge in the ironwork.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I support the line.."giving up what"...?

My life's obsession is railways in its widest sense.  I have the model railway, I have a garden railway, I volunteer for a heritage line, I follow the prototype, I enjoy being held up at level crossings, I write about railways, I read widely, I take pics I walk disused lines...etc etc.

I don't do it all at once, the enthusiasm comes and goes, but I'm always doing one thing or another.  

And yes, I do have a family and other hobbies, but they are mere hobbies. Not an obsession that is railways.

So what is the OP actually giving up?

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Getting back to the OP, since a change in circumstances a couple of years back I have stopped "collecting" and started building. Which has been much more satisfying. 

But, I noted that @Captain Kernow has been putting a lot of stuff into the free to a good home forum.  

What if each of us put a couple of surplus items into that forum for the benefit of fellow RMWebbers to pick up for the nominal cost of postage?  It's a simple way to give back, grow the hobby and help others like  @BSG75restore faith in our community. 

Happy New Year everyone!  I am off to find a few items to list.

Steve

Edited by sjp23480
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, BSG75 said:

Hi everyone. After 50 years I'm leaving the hobby.  ...snip...

Whatever you decide, please do not dispose of your trains and stuff; you will regret that decision later on!

27 minutes ago, 33C said:

Try the "lucky dip" route to railway modelling, " ...snip...

I was at a small two-rail only O scale show and found some Weaver two-bay hoppers at an astoundingly LOW!!!! price of $1.00 each; some ready to roll with Weaver trucks and couplers. There normally ebay for $15.00 and up. I bought all four of the complete ones and several of the partial ones. Near the end of the show when I made my final pass through the aisles there were still four or so bodies left. I bought them and removed the center-sills (right there at the vendor's table) for replacements for a couple of ones that I had that were broken.

This style of hopper (note that it has since been two-railed) but only two discharges:

100_2950.JPG.8796e08c3d3def677828d9b12c3f745b.JPG

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

14 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

That orange curved-chord truss bridge, two questions:

1. Who made it, and

2. How wide is the actual roadway? TIA

I see an On2­½ bridge in the ironwork.

Hornby Dublo made the bridge and the bridge extension is cut from a Hornby Dublo turntable. I don't know how wide the roadway is but the bridge is wide enough for a single track railway.  I think the bridge is quite expensive. While many Hornby Dublo items are cheap now some of the rarer items are not.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

My signature probably says it all, but one thing about this hobby is that it really is multifaceted!

Try something totally different - Gn15, for example, hand built bodies on cheap and cheerful chassis, build a micro and have some fun. Doesn’t need to be expensive and the enjoyment is the freedom to do what you want.

Or go completely bonkers like me, and pick up random bits of Triang Big Big Train to build into a max sized micro! 

A wise man once said that “one’s view of life is totally different from ten feet to the right of where one exists” … try applying that to your modelling… and good luck.

All the best

Steve S

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Try something totally different - Gn15, for example, hand built bodies on cheap and cheerful chassis, build a micro and have some fun. Doesn’t need to be expensive and the enjoyment is the freedom to do what you want.

A very valid suggestion. Going into the garden scales can be very economic. In 16mm, that £30 will almost get you a basic loco kit - complete. Spend time sticking details on the model, and you get a load of fun, for a bargain price. 

It all depends what the OP really wants. If they want a world where all the bells, whistles and details are stuck to every loco, made of metal and the whole lot costs £50, then it never existed, and isn't going to any time soon. Be a bit flexible and buy that old "duchess of sutherland" and there are loads of options. Railway modelling has something for everyone.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

This is a decision that of course only you can make, and if you have made your mind up that the hobby is no longer for you, then you have made your mind up that the hobby is no longer for you and that's that, whatever we say to try to persuade you to reconsider.  You have to do what is right for you.  Much has changed since the days when you could save up for Duchess of Sutherland in the knowledge that it was in permanent production at Binns Road and there was no time related pressure to buy it while this run is available.  £30 for a 5-planker or a 16ton mineral (£1,800 for a 60-wagon rake, plus probably £200 for the loco to pull it, a cool £2k beer vouchers) is a bit of a culture shock to anyone who remembers the low price/high quality days of the first 15 years of this century, and if money is tight it is a bit off-putting. 

We enjoy excellently scaled, detailed, and finished models that run superbly while being cheaper in real terms than kits were back in the day, and if we can afford the bells and whistles of DCC, we can operate them more realistically than ever and include sound, working lights, even opening doors.  Things are the best they've ever been in that respect  and still improving.  The impression of reality our models can provide is better than ever; one may have nostalgia for the engineering quality of Hornby Dublo or the robust simplicity and low cost of Triang, but the truth is that they produced some dreadful models.  The HD Duchess, like 00 all pacifics of those days, was ridiculously shortened to get around 13" radius setrack, had no flanges on the centre drivers, no brake or other detail below the running plate, had skirts beneath the boiler, and the cab was filled with the motor; an attempt to market such a crude toy would be quite unacceptable nowadays.  And remember that HD collapsed because they couldn't keep a lid on overheads; their successor, Wrenn, marketed the models at about three times the price level.

The current Hornby Duchess, City of London, costs £241.99 RRP without DCC, and is only available to pre-order, one of your issues.  It is to scale (we won't worry about the 00 compromise for the purposes of this discussion, that's another discussion altogether), well detailed, has a lot of separate detail (which makes it less robust than a Hornby Dublo loco and is one of the most significant factors in the high cost; Chinese assembly plant workers no longer aspire to the waiting list for a Flying Pigeon bicycle, they want cars, nice things, and holidays, and rightly enough, they work hard for them).  IMHO, the exploitative move of British manufactures to China in the late 90s was short-term profit-taking and bound to end in the situation we now have; increasing prices despite which demand remains high, increasing transport and distribution costs in a threatened world economy, and short production runs in factory slots that have to be booked years ahead.  The models would be more expensive and probably of lower quality if they were produced in this country, and you'd still have the 'production run' issue to deal with; going back to continuous production would mean a smaller and less competitive catalogue and nobody wants a warehouse full of spare parts these days.  Not gonna happen.

The models are 'better' (but more delicate and easily damaged), and the variety on offer is vastly increased over even 20 years ago, never mind the days of Triang and Hornby Dublo, but at the cost of them only being available in short production runs.  I am nobbut a poor pensioner (cue violins) and feel pressurised to buy models now because they might not be available for several more years when I've saved up for them.  It can be uncomfortable, and is I'm sure one of the factors behind your dissillusionment.

There are cheaper ways of obtaining models, notably eBay, but not everybody is comfortable with the uncertainty of bidding wars or the pricing levels of 'buy it now', not to mention that there are plenty of mendacious chisellers out there (check out 'eBay Madness').  I love the hobby, enjoy my layout hugely, and am content with the current situation even if prices are going north, and can live with the downsides of the modern market.  I'd never give it up, but fully appreciate your position.  Prices will continue to rise and availability will continue to fall, and some people will leave the hobby.  Others will accept smaller layouts with less locos and stock, in order to be able to afford a layout at all; it comes down to individual choice. 

Paradoxically, my low income has resulted in not having a room big enough for a main line layout to the standards I'd insist on and I've perforce had to model a BLT.  But this is exactly the type of layout that I can afford to stock to decent levels, and the operation (to replicate running to the 1950 Rule Book as far as possible) is about as much as I'm comfortable with, so clearly I am not capable alone of operating a bigger more complex layout in the way I'd want to.  So I'm very happy with the layout I've got, which is the right size and degree of complexity for me!

I'd endorse J S Bach's comment about not getting rid of your trains in case you rethink the situation in the future, though, assuming you can store them.  I mean, supposing a decade or so passes and you chance on a model railway exhibition and go in for a wander round for a few hours; bet you anything your enthusiasm will be re-kindled and you'll come home itching to build a layout.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

My Sir Nigel Gresley is coming up for 70 years old and still going strong without bits falling off. 

That's probably because it didn't have any in the first place. 

Seriously, I find my Hornby Dublo a useful diversion from the more serious stuff. My collection started with a small amount of stuff I got for £8 in 1958. It included a second hand Montrose which still runs perfectly. 

It all got put away for many years then when I got back into modelling it came out occasionally for maintenace. Swapmeets and eBay led me to filling the gaps, working back to the introduction of BR liveries in the mid 1950s and forwards to the end of production. Many of the rolling stock items can be picked up in good condition for a few pounds. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I think I’ve been through this many times.  Had a triang and Hornby set up as a kid.  Sold most of it in teens but kept some bits.  Then started collecting stuff from jumbles in the late 80s for a layout that existed only in my head.    Moved to the US in my late 50s and decided to build a garden railway, which I did and lasted a good 10 years.  Early this year we decided to move from flat Florida to the North Georgia mountains.  The garden railway and heaps of track is packed to move.  I have the feeling that no matter what, the garden railway will NOT work up the mountain!  So, we revert to planning the 00 layouts in the basement.  But sourcing reasonable UK based stuff in the US is difficult, if not impossible.   However, throughout the past many years since my childhood 00 gauge train set, I’ve dreamed, played, researched the prototype, joined clubs, done heritage stuff and generally kept an interest bubbling.    I’m not sure where this will lead in the future, but I’ve kept the interest going.

Don’t suddenly sell everything (unless you really need the money) and keep your mind working on all the possibilities.  Even giving your past knowledge as advice to a new generation.

The imagination is a wonderful thing to keep your interest.

• Like 4

I have a one page article, from an early "Garden rail" mag, by Peter Jones where he discusses railway modelling, at it's most basic, which has had a huge effect on me. He says he picked up a battered, cheap, battery toy train set at a jumble sale, took it home and started laying the, mainly curved track, round the periphery of the rockery. 5 minutes later, old tramway style layout, the rolling stock was converted, using cereal packets, into scaled up motive power and tubs. Time taken, half a day. So do not take a decision like leaving the hobby to heart! You can be right back in.....in half a day!🤪

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

There are cheaper ways of obtaining models, notably eBay, but not everybody is comfortable with the uncertainty of bidding wars or the pricing levels of 'buy it now', not to mention that there are plenty of mendacious chisellers out there (check out 'eBay Madness'). 

1 hour ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Swapmeets and eBay led me to filling the gaps, working back to the introduction of BR liveries in the mid 1950s and forwards to the end of production. Many of the rolling stock items can be picked up in good condition for a few pounds. 

To repeat - if you are interested in second hand models, join the appropriate society. They all tend to recycle members models at a fraction of the cost you pay from dealers and ebay. My dad has collected most of the UK Tri-ang TT stock from his time as a member of the 3mm Society. Want a DMU? £50 from the Society, £200+ from a dealer. He has 2 very nice, boxed sets.

I know it seems odd to pay for a society membership if the budget is tight, but you really can save the cost easily. The HRCA event I attended (see a recent BRM) was members-only and full of trade knocking stuff out for no money, because they know the market is shrinking (older members estates selling off collections, and not many people coming in) wheras the dealers can still claim stuff is worth a fortune.

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Paradoxically, my low income has resulted in not having a room big enough for a main line layout to the standards I'd insist on and I've perforce had to model a BLT.  But this is exactly the type of layout that I can afford to stock to decent levels, and the operation (to replicate running to the 1950 Rule Book as far as possible) is about as much as I'm comfortable with, so clearly I am not capable alone of operating a bigger more complex layout in the way I'd want to.  So I'm very happy with the layout I've got, which is the right size and degree of complexity for me!

IMHO, @The Johnster has nailed the best way of keeping the cost down - buy what you need, not what you want. If you can ignore the "lollypop locos" and just aquire enough stock for the layout you have space to build, you'll spend a lot less. I know I'm not great at this (don't relly need an APT for example) but if you have the willpower, it's going to save you a packet.

Final thought - £30 for a 5-plank wagon. Is the rest of your layout up to the same standard? No? Well, then buy the older second-hand model. The key to a good looking layout is a consistant level of modelling. I doubt there are many of us capable to producing a scene to the same standard as top-level RTR. This means we put an amazing loco on the layout and everything else looks poor in comparison. The Hornby Peckett (for example) is a lovely model, but would make my kit-built locos look a bit rubbish, so I'd not run the two together. And I love my kit built stock, because I made it myself.

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

I'd be afraid to even breath on some of the highly-detailed modern stuff.

Nowadays I like to keep things simple (and cheap). Detailing an old, though still reasonably accurate secondhand model, is more pleasurable to me, than just opening the latest super-doopa item and planting it on the layout.

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold

I found that just collecting readily available stuff was not that satisfying so I focussed on running stuff which appeared in a particular area over a time period of about 5 or 6 years. My layout is a ficticious location in the Black Country and everything that runs appeared within a 10 mile range between 1955 and finishing before the introduction of SYP on diesels.

My other modelling 'vice' as a few here will recognise is buying up things like old RTR stock and kit wagons that have seen better days. I bought some Replica/Bachmann LMS P1 corridor Brake Thirds and Composites. I cut them up and stuck the bits back together to make a Corridor Third and Brake Composite. These two were never made by Mainline, Replica or  Bachmann so I got some unavailable stock to improve my trains. The leftover bits are booked for making a 57ft BG of the type built by the LMS when the ones which had been converted to Ambulance Trains were returned to them after WW2. 

Kits get stripped down and rebuilt, converted or improved. I built a rake of ten 16 ton minerals from Airfix, Cambrian and Parkside wagons which cost me about £20 from club sales stands and toy fair oddments boxes. Some already had metal wheels and good couplings. I needed one pack of wheels, some bearings, a packet of couplings, paint and transfers. Wagons were weighted by lining the floor inside with a thin steel sheet.  Removeable loads were made from crushed real coal on scraps of foamboard. 

Currently I'm renovating three wagons bought for £5. All had good metal wheels which were worth at least the purchase price. One was a ply body 12T van which needed properly numbering and some couplings. Second was a SR 20T 8-plank which was missing some brake gear and needed some re-glueing. Third was a bit of an unexpected gem. It was a van in LMS livery on a Parkside chassis, but I didn't recognise it. On researching it I found it was a scratch built body for a type which is not available RTR or kit. A couple of small repairs and a repaint and I will have a wagon for about £4 that no-one can buy without commissioning it.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2