The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2023

didcot

• RMweb Premium

What's up with the Austrian GP? Sure, it's not the most exciting circuit but I've always been reasonably fond of it, and it's certainly the most scenic. Don't watch F1 that much these days though, doesn't it work with current cars?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Too short, too narrow, Monaco in the countryside basically. Now if they redeveloped it and re-opened a lot of the original track that was lost when it was butchered in 1996 it would be much more of a spectacle.

It's a bit on the short side and definitely a shadow of its former self, true. Too narrow I think reflects more on modern F1 cars being so oversized, but that's not going to change.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Too short, too narrow, Monaco in the countryside basically. Now if they redeveloped it and re-opened a lot of the original track that was lost when it was butchered in 1996 it would be much more of a spectacle.

I quite like the Austrian GP.

Certainly more overtaking than the virtual zero of Monaco - on the two straights and the corner in between them for a bit of shoulders out.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Reorte said:

It's a bit on the short side and definitely a shadow of its former self, true. Too narrow I think reflects more on modern F1 cars being so oversized, but that's not going to change.

However, the cars now are not as wide now as they were for almost two decades from the late 70's through to the early 90s...

These bad boys are 2200mm wide.

image.png.85c05b9be636a2d12b11eb97334d4587.png

Edited by 57xx
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, 57xx said:

However, the cars now are not as wide now as they were for almost two decades from the late 70's through to the early 90s...

Unlike modern road cars, which are morbidly obese compared to their 70s equivalents.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, 57xx said:

Grid penalties on the 2nd race of the year = Ridiculous. Especially when it is an FIA mandated ECU that was the problem.

And so if one fails every 3 or 4 races ?????????????

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

Sorry, do you want another street track in a middle eastern country using oil money to sport wash their human rights abuses? 

or just another street track in general? 

Edited by OnTheBranchline
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, OnTheBranchline said:

Sorry, do you want another street track in a middle eastern country using oil money to sport wash their human rights abuses? 

or just another street track in general? 

Wow, I was not aware I was not allowed an opinion.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, 57xx said:

These bad boys are 2200mm wide.

image.png.85c05b9be636a2d12b11eb97334d4587.png

Length plays quite a big part of it too, they're definitely quite a bit longer.

• RMweb Gold

5 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Laurent Mekies wants to quit Ferrari due to CEO “discontent”, has offers from Alpine, F1 and the FIA.

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1022019/1/another-top-ferrari-figure-wants-quit-due-ceo-discontent?fbclid=IwAR02NXFc5wud2FEsR0lMBXse0v0aOADULOhKFWMyPQmW5bioP2yACwoI4vQ

1 minute ago, Oldddudders said:

All this around the Ides of March, eh?

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Hroth said:

All this around the Ides of March, eh?

Are you suggesting the failure of the Ferrari in Bahrain was due to them using B-ware? 

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1