The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2023

didcot

14 minutes ago, didcot said:

What is Leclerc playing at? Interesting grid though. 

Having a bad weekend. It was gusty though. When cars rely so much on aero & drivers are pushing that close to the limit, mistakes will happen.

Another qualy spoiled by a red flag though. I really don't think the crash was deliberate, but depending on what needs to be changed on the car, he may start in front of Verstappen & Ocon because his own crash prevented them from setting a good time. That is so wrong.

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I really don't think the crash was deliberate, but depending on what needs to be changed on the car, he may start in front of Verstappen & Ocon because his own crash prevented them from setting a good time.

And Mr Bean will be sooooo annoyed...

He'll have his elbows fully out as he bludgeons his way to the front, and woe betide any Mercedes that impedes him and does not grant him due precedence.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

What Leclerc’s crash really does is set up a chance for Perez to get far enough ahead that Verstappen can’t catch once he has got through the traffic.

and as Jenson Button pointed out, a frustrated driver is not a better driver.

in the meanwhile we’re off to Brands Hatch for a bit of BTCC .

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Martin Brundle channeling Murray Walker during Leclerc’s lap attempt, talking about how great drivers manage to pull fractions of a second out of nowhere, at which point Leclerc loses it and spins off into the wall…

Cheers

Darius

• Funny 5

7 hours ago, The Lurker said:

What Leclerc’s crash really does is set up a chance for Perez to get far enough ahead that Verstappen can’t catch once he has got through the traffic.

Max will just get up to third, punt off second place man enough to cause a safety car and get up right behind Perez for the restart...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Hobby said:

Max will just get up to third, punt off second place man enough to cause a safety car and get up right behind Perez for the restart...

Sounds familiar!

The safety car negates all the racing that has already taken place. If a safety car is to be used, then the drivers should be monitored to ensure they keep their relative distances, and should be instantly penalised if they refuse to do so. 

In addition, there should be NO PITTING under the safety car. If a car should have to pit for safety reasons (not just for new tyres) then they should be held at the end of the pit lane and not allowed out until the safety car has been called in, the safety car train has passed and they can join the end of the procession...

Mr Vindictive? Moi?

Edited by Hroth
more mr angry..
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Just caught up with qualifying...

Hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha...

I did wonder why he abandoned the lap all together, but I'm glad he did. 😆

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

An interesting grid, and with Elon Musk being seen in the RB pit, who knows what special tricks Horner has up his sleeve? If Perez wins again, the script does become difficult for them. 

Meanwhile Toto has described the W14 as "a nasty piece of work", which is some indictment. Merc having led FP1 are now looking to scramble to even be in the points. 

• Like 3

There is a case for extra time to be added if there is a red flag with less time than it would take for a car to leave the pits and finish an out lap, just as long as it doesn't cause excessive bunching and everyone gets a fair shot, and the concept of a restart is viable. I'm sure Liberty media would love the extra excitement...

• Like 1

What a dismal boring race. Over hyped and under delivered. 3 Street tracks on the bounce and all rubbish.

If you could bottle them you'd have a good sleeping tablet. 

New rules says you can't leave the pit box until the last car finishes, but RB mechanics on the wall regardless.

RB obviously prefer Crashtappen!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

It had more to it than the Baku race - probably because there were some racers out of place after Leclerc’s visit to the wall. It meant we saw some overtaking.  - and not just with DRS. But Ferrari seem to be going backwards right now

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, didcot said:

Well introducing the drivers is like a lead balloon. 

Just f@kin get one with it muppets. 

The crowd seemed distinctly underwhelmed by the tacky driver introductions although Lewis and Sergio got audible cheers.  Will I Am looked absurd conducting his orchestra.  Jackie Stewart was a trooper ducking under the tape guarding the driver/VIP enclosure to get a Roger Federer interview for Martin Brundle despite security trying to get him out.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I followed on the BBC F1 website and was pleased to 'see' both Ferraris overtaken by a Mercedes. Merc have a crap car and yet the drivers hang in there. In race trim the Ferraris are unconvincing, and their drivers seem lost. McLaren are wallowing, too. 

I read about the Federer interview. Why would some tennis player be of any interest to F1 fans? 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

Another borefest with the RB strategists managing to put their number 2 driver in his place.

I know there were years of Merc dominance but never to the level of the RB's. You couldn't guarantee they'd win as the others were fairly close and did win races. 

If the rest don't discover how they are so fast, especially with DRS, Max may as well be awarded the title now. It will save a heap of cash and give the FIA time to work out how to make the races exciting. On Sky Ant suggested ditching most of the spoilers which seemed to make sense.

As it slowly becomes another US based race series how long will it be before they get bored with the processional races? They are used to Indycar where pretty much everyone has a chance of winning and being a lap down means nothing.

As for the teams what are Ferrari doing and as for McLaren..... Merc must be wondering why an OAP in a customer car is beating them every week.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I read about the Federer interview. Why would some tennis player be of any interest to F1 fans? 

It seems to be a Martin Brundle thing to interview (or be rejected by) celebrities on the grid.   At least Federer was more erudite than the very tall but apparently spaced-out US basketball player Brundle interviewed earlier.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 2

Oddly enough, Max was probably helped by starting ninth, given that he was able to benefit from DRS for a greater portion of his race.  With DRS estimated to be worth 0.9 seconds per lap, and no other teams able to defend their greatly inferior straight-line speed or impede his progress, perhaps there’s little surprise that Max was able to catch and pass Checo..

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I can't decide if it was the race or the coverage that was poor. Early on there seemed to be an awful lot of very close shots that made following the order hard and then also cutting away from interesting things. Two wide in the background but the camera panned to follow a Ferrari through the corner for instance.

Edited by SR71
  • Like 2

Having watched the highlights this morning it was somewhat depressing to see Verstappen just blow past everyone. Checo must be questioning his teams wisdom in starting him on the softer rubber. I highly doubt that RB will allow the inter team battling to continue. 

I think the advantage gained by DRS needs further controlling. First thing that comes to mind is the maximum speed gained being regulated to be a certain specified amount. Quite how they would test that however I have no idea and therefore that's why I think it's left as open as it is.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

4 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

Another borefest with the RB strategists managing to put their number 2 driver in his place.

As for the teams what are Ferrari doing and as for McLaren..... Merc must be wondering why an OAP in a customer car is beating them every week.

I didn't bother staying up to watch the highlights, the ability of Vertstappen to get up to the back of Perez and still be extending his lead when he had to come in for his tyre change suggests 'strategy' was certainly at play in the team.  Perez is a very good driver, he has showed that at other teams as well as RB, he should have been able to run away at the start.

Merc know exactly what the problem is, the challenge is to fundementally change the car in season with limited funds and maybe in the second half they might be able to prove a bit more of a challenge to RB.

• Like 2