The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2023

didcot

2 hours ago, ess1uk said:

I actually forgot there was a race so didn’t listen on the radio or watch the highlights on Ch4

are they still available?

Should be, they're normally on channel 4 catchup for 7 days after. 

Sky Sports F1 YouTube channel usually has about a 20 minute highlights package, and that does me for some of the duller races 

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 minutes ago, SR71 said:

Took a long time to confirm nothing happened;

BBC News - All 10 F1 teams complied with 2022 cost cap, says governing body the FIA
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/66717932

I'm clearly highly grumpy cynical this evening...

Or  RB new they would get away with cheating through overspending in 2021 but by changing their accounting practices in 2022 they would not get caught twice but would still keep the advantage 'bought' in 2021 through to the end of this regulations cycle in 2026.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, SR71 said:

Took a long time to confirm nothing happened;

BBC News - All 10 F1 teams complied with 2022 cost cap, says governing body the FIA
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/66717932

I'm clearly highly grumpy cynical this evening...

That is good news. I am sure there will still be accusations in the media of some teams paying the FIA backhanders to be cleared, but the FIA's auditors have pre-discredited any such talk.

I am surprised RB were not guilty of the same overspend as in 2021 though, simply because the auditing was published too late to make any changes to spending for 2022 & if they believed they had done nothing wrong, why would they do things differently?

Edited by Pete the Elaner
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Glad the thief failed but really? See  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/66710325  Why does anyone need a £256K watch? Some will say my view is victim shaming but that price is just madness.

Edited by john new
Forgot to paste the link.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

23 minutes ago, john new said:

Glad the thief failed but really? See  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/66710325  Why does anyone need a £256K watch? Some will say my view is victim shaming but that price is just madness.

F1 and other sporting celebrities. drivers get lots of stuff given, probably the case with Sainz and Leclerc and Richard Mille watches. That means that "normal" customers have to pay through the nose to support RM's promotional budget.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Yeah, it's sponsorship. The Teams are paid for their Drivers to be seen walking around with massively expensive watches around their wrists.

I remember when I was young seeing Kimi Raikkonen being given a watch at the end of every race when he was with Mclaren. I thought he must be very vaign that he must have it straight away. It was only much later that I realised it would be due to the sponsorship agreements, he'd be being paid to put it on as soon as he jumps out the car! 😅

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

F1 and other sporting celebrities. drivers get lots of stuff given, probably the case with Sainz and Leclerc and Richard Mille watches. That means that "normal" customers have to pay through the nose to support RM's promotional budget.

What customer, by any given scale of normality, spends the price of a small house on a watch? Not a normal customer, just one of the obscenely rich.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, john new said:

What customer, by any given scale of normality, spends the price of a small house on a watch? Not a normal customer, just one of the obscenely rich.

not a small house in Mansfield, it’s all a matter of scale/income etc 😉

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, john new said:

Average UK house price currently £276K according to the Halifax - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66728391 

Edited by john new
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

appears that Dr Marko has said something he shouldn't have done.

Doesn’t he do that every time he says something?  😇

I think they ought to do a swap with Aston Martin, pop Alonso in the other car and then we can all enjoy the fireworks. 😆

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

And South America has produced rather more world champions than Austria....

And Mexico is in North America anyway….

someone also pointed out that RedBull were  very quick to drop Juri Vipps when he used a racist slur in an E sports game. However I doubt this is the last we’ll see of the odious Marko.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

It appears that Dr Marko has said something he shouldn't have done.

Again! He really isn't a nice person and I wonder how long before RB see him as a liability. But you could say the same for alot of the RB hierarchy and certain drivers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
On 06/09/2023 at 19:35, john new said:

All marketing, makes the £15k version on hire purchase look so much more reasonable to the yuppies…

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Most hotly discussed topic on this F1 thread this year? The price on watches 😆

Says a lot about this season even though Monza was actually an ok race.

I enjoyed the F1 this weekend...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SR71 said:

I enjoyed the F1 this weekend...

Great stuff.  I do enjoy historic racing.

And then there was this episode: https://www.goodwood.com/grr/event-coverage/goodwood-revival/2023/9/what-really-happened-to-karun-chandhoks-ferrari-250-gto/

From which this quote captures the attitude of the cars' owners very well:

“The owners deserve so much credit. They send these cars that were designed 60 years ago out racing, that are worth so much, understanding that things can go wrong and that these things happen. He told me, he wants to get the car fixed and get it back on track at Goodwood soon.”

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1