RMweb

Formula 1 2023

didcot

On 16/09/2023 at 17:33, Pete the Elaner said:

Normally you can just take some things with a pinch of salt, but claiming Marko is not an employee was an outright lie.

The fact he is a director is openly available from Companies House for anyone who wants to check it.

According to what I have just read, you can be a director of a company without being an employee?

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

55 minutes ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

According to what I have just read, you can be a director of a company without being an employee?

I used to be a director of a trade association, it came with being the chair of their technical committee. I wasn't an employee nor was there any renumeration.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Just catching up - somewhere over the weekend (possibly in the Observer, possibly the Grauniad, possibly online news on my phone) there were comments that RB had softer rear suspension to cope with how last year's track had been and they had to set the ride height higher to avoid too much wear on whatever that thing is called that can be measured for clearance after the race - I think it might have been a comment from Valteri Bottas saying they had a similar setup problem.

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, SR71 said:

Saw mention that Perez got a 5s penalty for clashing with Albon. Doesn't change his finishing position though.

"We don't punish based on the result of the incident" = meaningless penalties for cars that can make up whatever gap they need vs the car who's race was materially effected by the incident. 

• Agree 6

14 hours ago, OnTheBranchline said:

"We don't punish based on the result of the incident" = meaningless penalties for cars that can make up whatever gap they need vs the car who's race was materially effected by the incident. 

That is the way it has been for some time. They have been consistent with this for some years. Hamilton's contact with Piastri in the last race was a recent example.

It is wrong? My view is that it is.

I am also a believer that rules should be changed between seasons. Inconsistency within a season is unfair because the contest is a season long so if someone gains an advantage from an action, then a competitor should be allowed exactly the same within the same contest.

But making a change when all points are on zero is different.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
On 18/09/2023 at 17:40, Bulleidboy100 said:

Yes. I am for two small Companies in the model and railway hobby sphere as per my sig. No remuneration.

• Like 1

On 18/09/2023 at 17:40, Bulleidboy100 said:

according to HMRC if you are director, you are also an employee for PAYE purposes. this doesn't mean that you need to be paid; but it does mean any remuneration you get needs to be subjected to PAYE. There are a number of minor exceptions to this rule. This doesn't necessarily hold true for other countries, where main board directors are taxed as if they were self-employed professionals, Germany being a case in point.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, john new said:

Yes. I am for two small Companies in the model and railway hobby sphere as per my sig. No remuneration.

1 hour ago, The Lurker said:

according to HMRC if you are director, you are also an employee for PAYE purposes. this doesn't mean that you need to be paid;

In my case I am chairman of the local Community Centre where we have our model railway clubrooms. The Community Centre is a registered charity and so the local authority then had to set up a limited company for our "trading activities" which means that I am also the Chairman of The Old School Tearooms Ltd. As soon as this happened I had to complete a self assessment tax return even though the answer to every question about income, salary, expenses, dividends etc was "Nil". That was when I was still working and on PAYE. Now retired on a pension, I still have to also complete a self assessment return.

Apologies to the F1 fans for the usual RMweb topic drift . . . . . . 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

& here we go again...back to back GPs

They will be setting up in Japan today ready for tomorrow's practise.

Was Singapore a blip for Red Bull? I think so. Their design seems to be based around good aero, which means they work best with high speed corners. These were lacking in Singapore but are very much a feature of Suzuka. Will the technical directive about flexi-wings have an effect? Maybe, but I expect it will be very minor.

The FIA look like they dropped a clanger with flexi wings anyway. We have been through this a couple of seasons ago. It looks like they made their directive too specific back then. Surely something a little more thorough should have worked now too?

After a good start to the season, Alonso is regularly being beaten by the Mercedes & now the McLarens have caught up too. We have seen this before. Things seem to go well for him in a new team but it does not last too long. He seems to not have the ability to work well within a team & his relationship with them slowly weakens. As for his team mate, Stroll is having a poor season. I can only remember him having 1 good weekend this season.

• RMweb Premium

There’s rumours of Yuki Tsunoda losing his seat for next year and the line up being Ricciardo and Lawson. Which would be unfortunate because Yuki has been driving the wheels off that Alpha Tauri. But if Lawson isn’t on the grid for 2024, that would also be a shame too considering how good his performance has been so far (or has it been good because AT has been bringing upgrades?). Ricciardo is always fun but it’s time for new blood.

Edited by OnTheBranchline
  • Like 4

There is also a story that Williams may be after Lawson to replace Sargeant, or even Albon, who is being linked with other teams. Mind you, I’m not sure where Albon could go, unless it’s to McLaren to replace Norris, who could be off to Red Bull, leaving Perez wanting a new seat.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Obi-Jiff Kenobi said:

There is also a story that Williams may be after Lawson to replace Sargeant, or even Albon, who is being linked with other teams. Mind you, I’m not sure where Albon could go, unless it’s to McLaren to replace Norris, who could be off to Red Bull, leaving Perez wanting a new seat.

Or if Sainz is leaving Ferrari, Albon could go to Ferrari... 

• Like 2

Does Honda have any say over one of the Alpha Tauri / Toro Rosso Mk2 seats? 

I've long wondered if having a Japanese driver has been part of the deal, especially when he was going through his difficult phase last year, thoughts further compounded by the speed at which de Vries was despatched this year.

Jo

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Obi-Jiff Kenobi said:

I hope the rumours of Norris to Red Bull are no more than that.

He would surely know that he may get the equal fastest car but always 2nd best choice for everything else. Unless Red Bull are going to pay him significantly more than McLaren, he would be better off where he is.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I hope the rumours of Norris to Red Bull are no more than that.

He would surely know that he may get the equal fastest car but always 2nd best choice for everything else. Unless Red Bull are going to pay him significantly more than McLaren, he would be better off where he is.

Norris is contracted with McLaren until end-25. With Piastri now signed until end-26, and cars that work race after race, the team is looking good to be up with Merc and Ferrari as best of the rest, as A-M falters. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Norris is contracted with McLaren until end-25. With Piastri now signed until end-26, and cars that work race after race, the team is looking good to be up with Merc and Ferrari as best of the rest, as A-M falters. 

I would think the only sensible move would be to follow his old boss to Audi when they are fully in at the end of his current contract. McLaren are building slowly but consistently so he’s in a pretty good place and I’m pretty sure Zak Brown won’t let him go easily as he’s performing so consistently too. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

I would think the only sensible move would be to follow his old boss to Audi when they are fully in at the end of his current contract. McLaren are building slowly but consistently so he’s in a pretty good place and I’m pretty sure Zak Brown won’t let him go easily as he’s performing so consistently too. 

There’s no guarantee that Audi will be super competitive when they join F1

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

If he were to move anywhere it would be to replace Leclerc at Ferrari - back with his bestie Carlos

Apart from the money why would that be an attractive option? They seem incapable of sorting out the stability of the team. Carlos jumped while McLaren still seemed a bit stuck but they have continued to build even with the loss of Andreas which suggests they aren’t over reliant on one person or blinkered. That long contract Lando signed is looking a very astute choice with the options he had at the time. 

2 minutes ago, OnTheBranchline said:

There’s no guarantee that Audi will be super competitive when they join F1

No but Andreas has form for building strongly and they will have max budget as Audi would love to overhaul Mercedes. As we’ve seen from Mercedes drop there’s no guarantee but Audi have a huge amount of experience in similar level motorsport so I doubt it will take them long to be competitive. Andreas going in now is building the back room infrastructure ready for the technology to be unleashed. He certainly helped push McLaren back on track and they seem to have continued to build on that after he left. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 18/09/2023 at 20:35, SR71 said:

Saw mention that Perez got a 5s penalty for clashing with Albon. Doesn't change his finishing position though.

I’ve never seen the point of time penalties alone - should be done as (1) a set number of places or something (2) like x seconds or x places which ever is the greater loss. Reason so that the penalty actually has an outcome for the driver’s finishing place. If they are in last finishing place anyway, or don’t finish, then carried forward to the next race.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2