Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Formula 1 2023

didcot

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, daltonparva said:

I missed what put George out?

I recall that Mercedes asked him to retire due to engine oil pressure problems meaning I guess, they wanted to avoid an on track engine auto dismantle situation. In addition, I think Verstappen was about to lap him.

I guess all that telemetry data now avoids the "grenade" engines of yesteryear.

Kind regards,

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

Why do RB (and AM) have to attend?

Because one of their cars also repeatedly breached track limits at turn 6.

Of course it's now been swept under the carpet by the FIA, no retrospective penalties. I wonder why? ........

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

27 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Because one of their cars also repeatedly breached track limits at turn 6.

Of course it's now been swept under the carpet by the FIA, no retrospective penalties. I wonder why? ........

The Brown Envelope collector has made their rounds?

As is said, "One hand washes the other".

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hobby said:

Am I the only one to imagine a car twice as large as the others, won't go round corners very quickly and will wallow whilst doing so and is powered by the largest cubic capacity engine allowed?! 🤣

And the 1950 Le Mans-entered Briggs Cunningham Cadillac le Monstre was a bit like that. But the 2023 Cadillac Le Mans entries conformed in every way, and came a most creditable 3rd and 4th overall, behind seasoned campaigners Ferrari & Toyota, the latter dominant in recent years.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hobby said:

Am I the only one to imagine a car twice as large as the others, won't go round corners very quickly and will wallow whilst doing so and is powered by the largest cubic capacity engine allowed?! 🤣

While making big woofly V8 noises - yup!  Then they present the 'Cleetus McFarland' version with two turbos the size of the moon.....what rules?

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

While making big woofly V8 noises - yup!  Then they present the 'Cleetus McFarland' version with two turbos the size of the moon.....what rules?

Ahh, yes, the 8.7 litre version which makes a whopping 185bhp!

Back mildly on topic… vegas this weekend. Weather looks chilly. Course looks awful. Could be interesting. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, njee20 said:

Back mildly on topic… vegas this weekend. Weather looks chilly. Course looks awful. Could be interesting. 

That should provide a shake up. High performance objects like F1 cars are designed to perform in a relatively small temperature window; some work better in hot temperatures & others better when it is cooler, so I would not be surprised to see some unusual cars near the front.

A safety car will be an issue too. Does anyone remember the Eiffel GP at the Nurburgring in 2020? Every driver was complaining about the re-start because their tyres were cold. The unlapped cars even had an advantage because they could warm their tyres while they caught up with the pack. That was ridiculous.

This was not a skill factor like many were claiming at the time; the tyres are designed to work only when hot because, like the cars themselves, the narrower their performance window, the better they can be designed to perform within that window. It would almost have been like driving on ice with summer tyres instead of studded ones.

I said after that event that once was acceptable because it was a new situation but they should learn from it & agree on a procedure for a re-start in cooler conditions, when the track temperature is lower than an agreed level. A yellow flag lap before the rolling re-start would work. They could all warm their tyres before having to push.

I am sure the FIA's solution will just have been to bury their heads in the sand, hoping it does not happen again.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

20 hours ago, Obi-Jiff Kenobi said:

The Cadillacs also did extremely well in this year’s IMSA championship.

They won the manufacturers' championship in the main GTP category (beating Porsche, Acura and BMW), and the drivers' and teams championships with Pipo Derani & Alexander Sims, and Action Express Racing (racing as Whelen Engineering Racing) respectively.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 04/11/2023 at 22:06, LNERandBR said:

Sprint races were created for entertainment, so let's make them more likely to be entertaining.

Put them in 2CVs. Saves wear and tear on the race cars, is greener and will be a lot more fun to watch. If the FIA supplied all the cars to spec, then it would really be down to driver skill.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1