Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby 2023 - Bluetooth decoders and control system

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, K Hatton said:

The X7 find the decoders as "resettable devices"and will ask for reset code but then won't show them as "ready to link" (after reset and power cycle).

Try restarting the app, we've has a few instances where this sorts things out 

1 hour ago, RedgateModels said:

Try restarting the app, we've has a few instances where this sorts things out 

Tried this a couple of times (firstly by force stopping and rebooting app, then by restarting phone completely) - still no change. 

2 minutes ago, pendlerail said:

What am I doing wrong? 

Just bought the 21 pin Bluetooth decoder, set it up with sounds for my loco, switched it to DCC and get no response from the loco? 

Using ESU cab control?

Thanks

Phil

I've noticed previously that the DCC Address you input on the app doesn't always translate over to DCC properly, double check that the code is correct in programme mode (no idea how you do that on ESU as I use LENZ) 

Nathan...

• Thanks 1

I have been trying the last few days. My decoder works from DCC but I have not been able to link it, and I need to change the profile as it is for a diesel. Every attempt to link results in a request for a reset code. Hornby supplied one over the phone and I can go through the reset procedure and power cycle, get a message that the decoder is reset, and the next step goes right back to asking for reset code.

Hornby have advised that it must be a decoder fault and I'm now waiting for a reply to the email they requested.

Motorola moto g(6) play in my case.

• Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, Grovenor said:

I have been trying the last few days. My decoder works from DCC but I have not been able to link it, and I need to change the profile as it is for a diesel. Every attempt to link results in a request for a reset code. Hornby supplied one over the phone and I can go through the reset procedure and power cycle, get a message that the decoder is reset, and the next step goes right back to asking for reset code.

Hornby have advised that it must be a decoder fault and I'm now waiting for a reply to the email they requested.

Motorola moto g(6) play in my case.

I'm convinced it's more likely to be something to do with the settings/android app than faulty decoders tbh.

Might wait a week or so and see what happens (back at work tomorrow anyway) 

8 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Question to those who are having problems linking - can you confirm what version of Android you are using? 

4 hours ago, K Hatton said:

Samsung Galaxy note 3 running android 5.0

Honor X7 running android 11 (less than 1 year old) 

Both able to log in using account and can find decoders over Bluetooth.

The Note 3 can (and has) linked to 3x decoders but won't update the Bluetooth version on the decoders (starts the update, reads 0% for about 1 minute then gives update complete/power cycle message but still says Bluetooth needs updating after power cycle). 

The X7 find the decoders as "resettable devices"and will ask for reset code but then won't show them as "ready to link" (after reset and power cycle).

Not meant in an arsey way - just the relevant info from my first essay of a post 👍

• Thanks 1

Apparently Samsung A and S models use different firmware.

My A models all work fine on Android 11 and 13.

The Hornby compatibility list (linked) shows S models are OK as well. In fact very few devices are outstanding as problematic.

https://d63oxfkn1m8sf.cloudfront.net/7216/8736/2955/HM.DCC_and_HM7000_-_Incompatible_Devices_List_1.pdf

Edited by RAF96

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, RAF96 said:

it got me a formal warning from Andy and points on my licence for ‘transphobic’ content whatever the heck that is. 
I only speak English. I am not qualified in modern politically correct speak that seems to offend all and sundry

Therefore, for your future education the phrase 'gender-bender', even when you are referring to an electrical connection, is inappropriate and offensive to many.

As with law, ignorance is not a defence.

• Agree 3

14 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Therefore, for your future education the phrase 'gender-bender', even when you are referring to an electrical connection, is inappropriate and offensive to many.

As with law, ignorance is not a defence.

Amazon use it and you just used it but I am not allowed to use it.  A tad Draconian methinks.

IMG_0905.jpeg

• Agree 1

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, RAF96 said:

A tad Draconian methinks.

Not really and that, to me, is an offence to me.

Just because an Amazon seller has used a word that may be used by people who don't use an appropriate word to search for it doesn't mean you can use it here.

Just call it a female to female adapter.

• RMweb Gold

Nothing wrong with the word gender bender, a word I came across a lot in A level 

sociological.

Just means a person who bends  social rules forced upon them by their society expectations of their gender. So a Tomboy could be classed as one. 

however I did wonder what a gender bender connection was. Female to female is so much more helpful. 

• Agree 2

31 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Not really and that, to me, is an offence to me.

Just because an Amazon seller has used a word that may be used by people who don't use an appropriate word to search for it doesn't mean you can use it here.

Just call it a female to female adapter.

It can be any gender to any other gender, not limited to your **** example. 

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

It is also applied to male - male

Oh I understand now, why gender bender has suddenly turned up.

now Addy you are going to have to make a decision. 

Gender bender may seem offensive to some 

others will find ‘male’ and ‘female’ offensive because the don’t identify with those terms. 

• Agree 3

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, RAF96 said:

your **** example. 

I'm off this week, you can have a week off too.

Everyone else, please return to the subject matter of the topic.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Installed the app on a Samsung S9, running Android 10.

Searched for devices and found my decoder.

It needed a reset.

After a quick 'net search, I found a post by Rob on the Hornby forum (from Jan 2023) saying the that the code would be on the box and had the same last four characters as the linked decoder.

Couldn't find anything on the box, so gave Hornby tech support a quick call.

They said use the code ######### [*]  and lo and behold, it worked.

It then requested a decoder firmware update - duly carried out and the decoder then worked with the default sound file.

20-odd minutes later, I'd uploaded the 66 file and away it goes - controlled via the App of the DCC system at the flick of the icon on the screen.

All good - now need to play with the loco and speaker setup

I need to check the exact value of CV12 for BTE or DCC operation as I think I found some incorrect documentation (CV12=0 or 2 depending upon mode of operation), BICBW - will try and confirm later.

I did initially try an older S7 phone without a sim card connected to the net via wifi, but for some reason, the play store kept shutting down, so I couldn't download the app

That is my next mission. Also to find out how easy/hard it is to pass locos between different phones/tablets 

[*] The reset code that Hornby said to use over the phone was a bit like using the word "password" as a password - I won't repeat the exact code here as it here as it could mean that anyone might be able to access someone else's decoder! About 30 minutes later I received an email with the reset code for the decoder that contained the last four characters of the decoder identity.....

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 25/06/2023 at 20:51, SteveM666 said:

It’s a known glitch - on the list for investigation and a fix. You can still change the cv the ‘old way’ with a DCC controller and a programming track until the fix comes along.

Ahhhhh ok thanks.. its not me.. 

Ive loaded up the App to another phone and redone it to work properly.. Now its doesnt work on the original Phone.. Something im missing.. I would like 2 phones , one as backup..