RMweb

Hornby 2023 - Bluetooth decoders and control system

AY Mod

On 04/07/2023 at 00:30, E100 said:

Can we please not reopen/reignite this and stick to the topic - it’s been over a week since the last post. (Not a comment whatsoever on whether I agree / disagree with the point made). 

I certainly use model railways as a way to escape the chaos of the modern world, so prefer to have the politics left out of this forum. Plenty of other areas to have those discussions.

To help get the thread back on topic, I’m interested to know if those with the decoders find themselves changing the CV’s on the decoders much more than they otherwise would eg acceleration rate now that it’s so much easier and can be done in real time? Another question for longer term users is whether they are planning to buy the legacy dongle on the basis that the app is better than their previous handset/device?

you are both right. Decent peeps know what to do and how to formulate their thoughts. 

It seems this system is working out better than anything else on the market- mainly because of price tags. Im quite happy with the way my shunter is working and its cv' spec. 

I wonder if one of the clever electronic companies will come out with another add on ala the Dongle to help all the other systems compatible with it? I hope this is possible as I have several new type locos which I cant operate the functions above function 20 ie Baccy 37 and 47. I wouldnt want to start changing decoders in my Latest full spec deluxe versions of these. 

Still waiting for more sound profiles, 59? or 33?

Hopefully Hornby have plans for Accessory control?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Marcoblanco said:

I wonder if one of the clever electronic companies will come out with another add on ala the Dongle to help all the other systems compatible with it? I hope this is possible as I have several new type locos which I cant operate the functions above function 20 ie Baccy 37 and 47. I wouldn't want to start changing decoders in my Latest full spec deluxe versions of these. 

I would love a Loconet compatible dongle but accept that's wishful thinking. I will potentially look at obtaining a http://yamorc.de/products/?singleproduct=1239 to utilise it on the 00 layout with the Digitrax 210+ demoted to 009 duties.

8 hours ago, Marcoblanco said:

Hopefully Hornby have plans for Accessory control?

You can already control solenoid points, signal or street lights and a turntable from the app using the existing HM6010 module.

Depending upon its power source it can provide Basic operation of those services (DC powered) or the same functionality as the V2.0 R8247 unit (DCC powered). It is likely the dongle will be able to operate the R8247 from the app similar to a legacy decoder.

So, myself and a few others from our club have purchased Folly Lane, and took delivery of it today, plus a chance to see how it operates. Tasked with bringing a loco each, I opted for two incase one failed, and good job I did! I took 60532 Blue Peter, and 66701 with me, both of which have had TXS decoders fitted the past few weeks. To my shock, the 66 decided not to play ball at all, so will need to see what's up with that.. Blue Peter on the other hand was amazingly well behaved! This has had the A1 Tornado sound project loaded onto it, and I must say, the sounds are a lot better than the TTS offerings for it, having watched a few youtube videos when I was getting back into DCC and sound last year.. Has anyone mastered the CV editing at all for the AFC setup? I want to turn off some of the spot sounds, firemans breakfast being one of them, and maybe swap the LNER Peanut and Chime whistles around so that the Chime plays instead of the peanut when using F28 AFC... 

Cheers,

Nathan... 

49 minutes ago, D3489gibson said:

So, myself and a few others from our club have purchased Folly Lane, and took delivery of it today, plus a chance to see how it operates. Tasked with bringing a loco each, I opted for two incase one failed, and good job I did! I took 60532 Blue Peter, and 66701 with me, both of which have had TXS decoders fitted the past few weeks. To my shock, the 66 decided not to play ball at all, so will need to see what's up with that.. Blue Peter on the other hand was amazingly well behaved! This has had the A1 Tornado sound project loaded onto it, and I must say, the sounds are a lot better than the TTS offerings for it, having watched a few youtube videos when I was getting back into DCC and sound last year.. Has anyone mastered the CV editing at all for the AFC setup? I want to turn off some of the spot sounds, firemans breakfast being one of them, and maybe swap the LNER Peanut and Chime whistles around so that the Chime plays instead of the peanut when using F28 AFC... 

Cheers,

Nathan... 

Doing it from the app CV Editor is a doddle, but only if you know the F-#s for the functions you need or want to bin. It helps to read the famous manual to understand what those selector CVs do.

If you have recently loaded the Tornado profile and have a power-bank fitted then that will charge when static and prevent any  stalling due to inrush current.

Anyone whose fitted the Dapol Class 73 can i ask if youre directional lights work correctly? 

Ive got a later Intercity 73 136. With the Dapol imperium decoder i get independant control of the cab lights and blinds either end.

But with the TXS fitted F0 dosent control any of the lighting. I do get lights on F22 but it also seems to engage the F28 mode as it starts up horns before moving and does the brake sound when stopping. Also then, the sound wont turn off agasin using F1?

1 hour ago, meatloaf said:

Anyone whose fitted the Dapol Class 73 can i ask if youre directional lights work correctly? 

Ive got a later Intercity 73 136. With the Dapol imperium decoder i get independant control of the cab lights and blinds either end.

But with the TXS fitted F0 dosent control any of the lighting. I do get lights on F22 but it also seems to engage the F28 mode as it starts up horns before moving and does the brake sound when stopping. Also then, the sound wont turn off agasin using F1?

F21-F24 are the auxilliary lighting controls, F21 and F22 do the A cab lights and blinds, F23 and F24 do the B end. Not sure how your ones managing to engage F28 when selecting F22 though... 

Nathan...

1 hour ago, D3489gibson said:

F21-F24 are the auxilliary lighting controls, F21 and F22 do the A cab lights and blinds, F23 and F24 do the B end. Not sure how your ones managing to engage F28 when selecting F22 though... 

Nathan...

I dont know that it is, but the loco is behaving like it has. With the lights on the loco functions exactly as youd expect with F28 engaged.

For example if i press F21 - the engine starts as it does with F22 - F24

2 minutes ago, Johan DC said:

Anybody some idea about the timing for the 'correct size' Next18? I have an A5 and a G5 waiting. Or will the non-sound version fit?

Probably never given the this systems needs a Bluetooth aerial which would be too large to fit on a Next18 with the other components.

1 minute ago, WIMorrison said:

Probably never given the this systems needs a Bluetooth aerial which would be too large to fit on a Next18 with the other components.

N18S and 8-pin use the same PCB and anyone handy with a soldering iron could pick up more hardware function outputs on the 8-pin. No forecast on Gen2 decoders yet.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, RAF96 said:

No forecast on Gen2 decoders yet.

It's going to need China to move out of lockdown and start producing again for the chip manufacturing to supply the components needed the build a decoder without the PCB aerial section. There are bluetooth chips that do not need a separate aerial I believe.

This will also help everyone's pensions too .......

Most semiconductor manufacturing is in Taiwan and the industry is supplying high profile, high volume consumers such as the automobile, computer, and TV industries. Manufacturing of the required components and assembly of these into model railway decoders is not on the priority list.

• Agree 1

In summary, Hornby already have the design of the smaller Next18 decoders but the shortage of components required them to redesign the somewhat larger version.

Once component supply has stabilised from the after effects of the pandemic then undoubtedly the second generation decoders will be put into production.

Patience is needed plus acknowledgement that the delay is due to factors outside Hornby’s control.

23 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Are these locos not on @Jenny Emily's list of locos tested with the Next18 decoder?

I tried the A5 and the next18 TXS decoder won’t fit. I have not tried the G5.

The only oo model I was able to easily fit the next18 decoder in was the Planet Industrials Victory class.  

• Informative/Useful 3

I managed to fit the Next18 to the Heljan NER railcar, Bachmann Ivatt 2MT and the Bachmann V3 all with powerbanks and speakers.

I failed with a couple of small tank locos as expected so they can wait - no rush.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, SteveM666 said:

I managed to fit the Next18 to the Heljan NER railcar, Bachmann Ivatt 2MT and the Bachmann V3 all with powerbanks and speakers.

I failed with a couple of small tank locos as expected so they can wait - no rush.

Did you use the build-in speaker in de railcar? Or the HM7000? I'm not so happy with the sound of the former, so might change it.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

There's plenty of BT antennas available in 1206 package size, OK not tiny but much smaller than the current PCB antenna.

6 hours ago, Johan DC said:

Did you use the build-in speaker in de railcar? Or the HM7000? I'm not so happy with the sound of the former, so might change it.

I used the HM7K speaker and PB hidden in the compartment behind the cab.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, SteveM666 said:

What sound profile did you use for the railcar?

6 hours ago, jaym481 said:

What sound profile did you use for the railcar?

None of them really fit at the moment and I’ve not heard the real thing (in case you didn’t know, one is preserved at Embsay) so I decided to stick one of the diesels in it and turn the volume down. I believe the original had an internal combustion engine driving a generator for electric power to the wheels.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I use the Class 73 sound on my railcar, also not too loud. It's diesel, not petrol, but hey, Rule #1!

I'll try to use the HM7000 speaker tonight, instead of the build in.

Do I have to physically disconnect the later when I do this?

A while back there was a link on this thread to a timetable of expected release dates for sound files, but the only link I can find seems to be broken. Does anyone have any info about when a W1 file might be about?