RMweb

Hornby 2023 - Bluetooth decoders and control system

AY Mod

3 hours ago, RAF96 said:

There is a bug that only allows the first function map to be imported. They are working on a fix, but in the meantime here is a bit of a convoluted work-around issued to the test team.

• Unassign any locomotives from the HM7040 in the Manage Device screen. 

• Create a new 'Temp' vehicle in the Engine Shed. 

• Assign the HM7040 to it, ensuring that this is the only locomotive the 7040 is assigned to. 

• Tap on Settings.

• Tap on Profiles.

• Find your chosen function map.

• Plug in the HM7040 / 'Temp' loco.

• Tap on Import Function Map.

• Go to Locomotive Settings of the 'Temp' locomotive. 

• Tap on Export Function Map.

• Save the Function Map with a given name. 

• Go to Engine Shed. 

• Tap on the correct locomotive you wish for the newly exported function map to be applied to.

• Tap on Import Function Map.

• Choose the Function Map you recently exported.

• This will install the function map for another locomotive.

• Repeat this process using the 'Temp' locomotive with other profiles, exporting each Function Map out and re-importing them back in to the correct locomotive.

• Once complete, go to Manage Devices, tap on HM7040 and assign the HM7040 to all locomotives you wish to control with it.

Once it is fixed it will follow the previously documented method.

Crikey! Erm, I think I’ll wait for the bug fix. One further question, if I may, can I go ahead and add all my non Hornby sound chips (as additional locos associated to the Dongle)? The ability to customise the F icons in the TXS app is BRILLIANT, as it’s a real pain to try and remember all their individual different function maps. The ability to customise each loco with its own individual icons for function maps is a massive benefit. What I don’t want to happen is do all that work (30+ individual maps) then find that data has been lost in an App fix/update? 

Edited by miles73128

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, miles73128 said:

Crikey! Erm, I think I’ll wait for the bug fix. One further question, if I may, can I go ahead and add all my non Hornby sound chips (as additional locos associated to the Dongle)? The ability to customise the F icons in the TXS app is BRILLIANT, as it’s a real pain to try and remember all their individual different function maps. The ability to customise each loco with its own individual icons for function maps is a massive benefit. What I don’t want to happen is do all that work (30+ individual maps) then find that data has been lost in an App fix/update? 

It's not that bad. I have just done it and done a quick video the process takes about 5 minutes. Once I edit the video together I will pop a link to it on here.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Meerkat said:

can i access the engine shed without any hm7000 a sim waiting for the dongle to arrive,  or is it best to wait for the dongle and then link it first?

You can access it without the dongle so I see no reason why not to add the locos then assign them later. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Kris said:

Here is my very quickly produced video on using the tts sound profiles https://youtu.be/gvpPbZPH6Zk

Power cycling the loco and or dongle is a normal part of the procedure.

The bug is when you try to add a second or subsequent loco's TTS profile from the profile page.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Meerkat said:

can i access the engine shed without any hm7000 a sim waiting for the dongle to arrive,  or is it best to wait for the dongle and then link it first?

Yes - the engine shed is just a list of your locos. You can assign either a 7K decoder or the dongle as required to bring them into play - applicable to the decoder fitted.

Edited by RAF96

17 hours ago, RAF96 said:

Yes - the engine shed is just a list of your locos. You can assign either a 7K decoder or the dongle as required to bring them into play - applicable to the decoder fitted.

thank you very much for that, i start listing later today

Got the dongle yesterday from Rails and started to get it set up with my Lenz LZV200 system. The setting up of the dongle was no problem at all, went really well. Added my first loco to the engine shed, including photo etc. Assigned it to the dongle and imported the "vanilla" function list. The loco I connected was a Cavalax 56. Used the app to try to run the loco and yes success it ran well. Tried a few functions like F0 lights and sound and all worked fine. Then assigned the function list with appropriate words and icons to see how that worked. All went very well, although the words appear to be too big for the space, when you go back to the "running" functions the words fit perfectly. 

Now the problem. Not all the functions work as they should. For instance, the cab lights won't work, the park lights won't work, the head light doesn't work and some of the sounds won't work either. No idea why, but I will probably have to spend a little more time checking things out. Will probably send Hornby an email regarding this to see if it's a problem. Or maybe the dongle is only designed to work with the Hornby system and not other Expressnet systems such as Lenz. I'll have to load a none sound loco up later and see how I get on with that. 

One nice feature I found is the ability to export the function setup and then load it against the same function setup on another loco. I then loaded another Cavalax 56 and imported the function setup and all the words etc. were they. So, if you have several locos that all have the same functions, once you've done one setup the rest can just be imported in, and they will also be done.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I'm wondering if it is worthwhile investing in an Elite so express net can be utilized and thus the dongle for complete versatility if dongle works seamless with Hornbys system. ,(?) 

I see some other options have appeared in the Apps 'engine shed' ie 'function maps'. I'm presuming this is to assist dongle use? 

my dongle haven't arrived yet,  tho been looking in the engine shed,  where it says assign decoder is that were you say dongle ??

also do i have set up f1 to 28  for example type lights and set it to f1 or use the images?

Edited by The Meerkat

hi all ne more question, 

when doing the function list,  each page allowed 9 functions,  so on page 2 is it like the elite controller,   0 is also number 10 on page 2 or can you type in 10 or doe sit have to be 0 and then use image of F10 etc

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, The Meerkat said:

my dongle haven't arrived yet,  tho been looking in the engine shed,  where it says assign decoder is that were you say dongle ??

Yes, that is correct, but when you look at it it will not say "dongle" it will give you the code for the dongle that looks very similar to the codes given out by other HM7000 decoders. With my dongle the code starts with HM7040.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, The Meerkat said:

also do i have set up f1 to 28  for example type lights and set it to f1 or use the images?

Has Kris says above, you assign the loco to the dongle, which will be HM7040****, the allocated number. As for the functions, the system initially shows functions F0 thru to F28, as per the operating option. You can then either leave the function number as is, type a description, or type a description and add an icon, or just use an icon. Just ensure you set the function operation to Switch, Trigger, Time or Elite.

Having had another go with the dongle yesterday, it appears via my Lenz system that you can only operate the first six functions (F0 - F5). Anything above F5 doesn't do anything. Not sure if that's because I'm using the dongle via a Lenz system or if it's the same if you use the dongle via the Hornby Elite. If anyone else has set up and is using the dongle, it would be good to know if they have the same problem or not and what system they are using. I'll drop Hornby a note and see what they have to say. Will add, this is the case whether it's a sound decoder or a non-sound decoder.

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Marcoblanco said:

I'm wondering if it is worthwhile investing in an Elite so express net can be utilized and thus the dongle for complete versatility if dongle works seamless with Hornbys system. ,(?) 

I see some other options have appeared in the Apps 'engine shed' ie 'function maps'. I'm presuming this is to assist dongle use? 

As a cheapskate I have a similar plan using a Select, and so I bought a used one cheap via eBay over Xmas. Trouble is it turns out to be one from the first batch with the scary +/- 40V spikes on the output. I'm not letting that near my toy trains unfiltered. Hopefully a simple bit of LC filtering on the output will smooth it out a bit.

PXL_20231229_120738231.jpg

Edited by spamcan61

I want to install a 21 pin TXS into an aaccurascale 37. 

Speaker wise, it has a sugar cube built in. Ive seen a video on youtube showing the preinstalled speaker plus the supplied speaker in the biggest enclosure and it works well. But would it work if i used the accurathrash speaker instead of the hornvy speaker in the biggest enclosure?

• RMweb Gold

Would probably kill the decoder's amp if you used the Accurathrash without removing the sugarcube speaker on a TXS deocder.

You also won't get most of the lights to work with a TXS decoder.

13 minutes ago, Kaput said:

Would probably kill the decoder's amp if you used the Accurathrash without removing the sugarcube speaker on a TXS deocder.

cheers ill avoid the accurathrash speaker then. 

Lighting wise its going into a green one so only got headcode and tail lights. Not fussed about drivers desk and engine room lights.

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Kaput said:

Depends how the 37 is wired. I'm running an Accurathrash plus Hornby sugar cube in my DP1. speakers are wired in SERIES though. 

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Depends how the 37 is wired. I'm running an Accurathrash plus Hornby sugar cube in my DP1. speakers are wired in SERIES though. 

The Accura models are wired in parallel

5 hours ago, Kris said:

Yes, that is correct, but when you look at it it will not say "dongle" it will give you the code for the dongle that looks very similar to the codes given out by other HM7000 decoders. With my dongle the code starts with HM7040.

Thank you very much for that,

4 hours ago, Tony Walker said:

Has Kris says above, you assign the loco to the dongle, which will be HM7040****, the allocated number. As for the functions, the system initially shows functions F0 thru to F28, as per the operating option. You can then either leave the function number as is, type a description, or type a description and add an icon, or just use an icon. Just ensure you set the function operation to Switch, Trigger, Time or Elite.

yes but on the elite after function 9,  you got press function key again to get to functions 11 to 19,  again using 0 to 9 numbers to play the sound, is that same when entering the function number then give it any icon you wish?

5 hours ago, Tony Walker said:

Having had another go with the dongle yesterday, it appears via my Lenz system that you can only operate the first six functions (F0 - F5). Anything above F5 doesn't do anything. Not sure if that's because I'm using the dongle via a Lenz system or if it's the same if you use the dongle via the Hornby Elite. If anyone else has set up and is using the dongle, it would be good to know if they have the same problem or not and what system they are using. I'll drop Hornby a note and see what they have to say. Will add, this is the case whether it's a sound decoder or a non-sound decoder.

Yep. All mine are working fine, up to F29. Really impressed you can customise the F maps, it’s so much easier than trying to remember all the different maps for each loco-but like going from DOS to windows lol 

IMG_5629.png

Edited by miles73128
  • Informative/Useful 1