Hornby 2023 - Bluetooth decoders and control system

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, The Meerkat said:

it is easy,  or i found it easy, tho i got he elite controller,  if you have spare printer lead,  plug it into the select and PC, laptop,  download the select update firmware and follow the onscreen instructions,  again i only used an elite,  if im wrong please correct me

It's a manual firmware update of the PIC microcontroller, can't be done over the air etc with the Select. 

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

I've successfully tested it with a Z21 snd will be running Summat Colliery (locos only) at the Mansfield Show this weekend 😁🚂🚂🚂🚂🚂

Out of interest what advantages are there of using the HM7000 app + dongle + Z21 vs Z21 app + Z21

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, stephennicholson said:

Out of interest what advantages are there of using the HM7000 app + dongle + Z21 vs Z21 app + Z21

For me, no need for the wifi router and the known issues of operating in a busy exhibition environment with the wifi being swamped.

You do lose the sync between the Z21 app and a multimuas handset though. Also the HM7000 app cannot control accessories at the moment, so the Multimaus will be needed to change the turnouts - no pushbuttons on Summat Colliery as backup

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

For me, no need for the wifi router and the known issues of operating in a busy exhibition environment with the wifi being swamped.

And Bluetooth isn't? I have often found my earphones crackling and losing connectivity to my phone when sat trying to have lunch at shows - not really surprising given it is the same frequency as 2.4GHz WiFi - and more phones have Bluetooth switched on than WiFi, with the only real difference being the signal strength which is a lot weaker with Bluetooth than WiFi.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

I've successfully tested it with a Z21 snd will be running Summat Colliery (locos only) at the Mansfield Show this weekend 😁🚂🚂🚂🚂🚂

Wondering if I should take a chance with my gaugemaster prodigy.

9 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

It's a manual firmware update of the PIC microcontroller, can't be done over the air etc with the Select. 

ahhh, i did not know,  i never used a select, only elite and thought they work the same way sort of

14 hours ago, The Meerkat said:

it is easy,  or i found it easy, tho i got he elite controller,  if you have spare printer lead,  plug it into the select and PC, laptop,  download the select update firmware and follow the onscreen instructions,  again i only used an elite,  if im wrong please correct me

The Hornby Select does not have the external connection port that the Elite has, so to upgrade the Select firmware you have to contact Hornby to get returns details, pay £15 and then send the Select to Hornby - I think the turnaround is under 2 weeks

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jonnyuk said:

i've been thinking that for some time, go for it and let me know if it starts smoking!

on a serious note, i thought the prodigy did not use xpressNet?

It does not work with the prodigy sadly. 

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Pmorgancym said:

Wondering if I should take a chance with my gaugemaster prodigy.

It does not work with the prodigy sadly. (I tried it with mine.)

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, The Meerkat said:

is anyone having issues with lenovo tablet m10 plus gen 3,  mine wants restart all the time and wont let hm7000 app take photos or import photos,  why i asked about which Samsung work with hm7000 app

My lenovo M7 works ok

4 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

My lenovo M7 works ok

must be faulty one then i got as most time goes into sleep mode it restarts and when you power off it always turn back on after couple mins,  i get hold where i got it from tomorrow :) 

I have both the M8 and M10 - I consider both to be very good tablets, particularly at the current price.

Initially I used the M8 but found the screen too small for old eyes and fat fingers so upgraded to the M10 which works perfectly as my dedicated DCC controller for the app.

Having said that, a glitch appeared with the latest app update on the profiles page. Initially I worried that it was the tablet but the fault has been found and replicated on a number of other makes and is now under investigation.  Likely something do with differences between the many versions of Android.

Yours certainly sounds like dodgy hardware rather than  anything to do with the app.

3 hours ago, SteveM666 said:

I have both the M8 and M10 - I consider both to be very good tablets, particularly at the current price.

Initially I used the M8 but found the screen too small for old eyes and fat fingers so upgraded to the M10 which works perfectly as my dedicated DCC controller for the app.

Having said that, a glitch appeared with the latest app update on the profiles page. Initially I worried that it was the tablet but the fault has been found and replicated on a number of other makes and is now under investigation.  Likely something do with differences between the many versions of Android.

Yours certainly sounds like dodgy hardware rather than  anything to do with the app.

yeah thought as much it be hardware or maybe a bug in latest update or something,  but i tried some body else tablet that same as mine while watching the football left app open on both and mine was restarting while the other one was working fine, so defo my tablet  and not the app

So what's the best/cost effective "upgrade" path for a dongle?  I've got a tail master kicking about but it doesn"t work with that (no port, even though the website says it's rail master compatible).  Trawling ebay for a select or elite??

I still think it would be a good idea for Hornby to combine the electronics from their elite controller and the dongle in a single package, excluding unnecessary items such as function buttons and speed controls, to allow non- TXS locomotives to be controlled from a tablet.  This would be a lot cheaper for those entering DCC who want to use HM7000 technology with non-TXS decoders but who do not want to also have to go to the expense of purchasing a "traditional" controller, on which the actual controls would not really be necessary.   This would not be an expensive project for Hornby, as the necessary electronics are already available in the existing dongle and elite, but would be a real benefit for those moving into DCC control.

Roddy

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Roddy Angus said:

I still think it would be a good idea for Hornby to combine the electronics from their elite controller and the dongle in a single package, excluding unnecessary items such as function buttons and speed controls, to allow non- TXS locomotives to be controlled from a tablet.  This would be a lot cheaper for those entering DCC who want to use HM7000 technology with non-TXS decoders but who do not want to also have to go to the expense of purchasing a "traditional" controller, on which the actual controls would not really be necessary.   This would not be an expensive project for Hornby, as the necessary electronics are already available in the existing dongle and elite, but would be a real benefit for those moving into DCC control.

Roddy

I guess the intended path for newcomers is to use TXS exclusively and just buy an approved DC supply for the track. It's not in Hornby's interests to make it easier for folks to use "Legacy" decoders 😉

7 minutes ago, Roddy Angus said:

Roddy

I can see that sort of a "dumb terminal" not too dissimilar to be rail master base unit.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, RedgateModels said:

I guess the intended path for newcomers is to use TXS exclusively and just buy an approved DC supply for the track. It's not in Hornby's interests to make it easier for folks to use "Legacy" decoders 😉

Indeed, given that the only products they can make money on are the decoders and PSUs they'll push people that way. Seems a reasonable strategy as there's no HW development costs for a fancy HW controller that way. OK more in SW development costs but that's more manageable IMHO.

4 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

That to me is the biggest flaw and what ultimately restricts the system Hornby's inability to recognise the existing ecosystem.  What if someone wished to upgrade from and older system with a fleet of already fitted locos?  

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Pmorgancym said:

So what's the best/cost effective "upgrade" path for a dongle?  I've got a tail master kicking about but it doesn"t work with that (no port, even though the website says it's rail master compatible).  Trawling ebay for a select or elite??

Bear in mind if you go the Select route, as I am,  you're limited to the restrictions of that controller, e.g. loco addresses only up to 59.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Pmorgancym said:

That to me is the biggest flaw and what ultimately restricts the system Hornby's inability to recognise the existing ecosystem.  What if someone wished to upgrade from and older system with a fleet of already fitted locos?  

Sort of as I said above, they're not really a target market for Hornby currently  as they're not going to be buying decoders or dc PSUs.

5 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Bear in mind if you go the Select route, as I am,  you're limited to the restrictions of that controller, e.g. loco addresses only up to 59.

That's acceptable are there restrictions on functions etc too?