Hornby 2023 - Bluetooth decoders and control system

AY Mod

Thanks to all who chipped in (ho ho) about consisting. 

I guess the simplest thing to do would be to use my PowerCab to run the HST in an advanced consist until Hornby introduce consisting in HM7000. As it stands, it's my PowerCab that powers my simple oval of track (no permanent layout as of yet) so I guess it's not that big of a deal, just that I like controlling the train from my smartphone. 

Patience is a virtue!

Hi all,

I wonder if someone could help me?

I'm trying to link a decoder but when I scan, it keeps appearing under 'resettable devices'. I've tried entering the exported reset code but I just get the message 'invalid reset code' and I'm back to square one.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Michael

3 hours ago, Michanglais said:

Hi all,

I'm trying to link a decoder but when I scan, it keeps appearing under 'resettable devices'. I've tried entering the exported reset code but I just get the message 'invalid reset code' and I'm back to square one.

Cheers,

Michael

Glitch covered many times on Hornby 7K forum, power down app and loco and power up again, decoder will become linkable.

48 minutes ago, RAF96 said:

Glitch covered many times on Hornby 7K forum, power down app and loco and power up again, decoder will become linkable.

Many thanks for that!

Cheers,

Michael

Is anyone else having the issue with the app where the Hornby logo is just a grey panel on every profile in the list and also the background of all the TTS profiles has gone black.

i have tried multiple devices, iPad 15.8 and 17.4 and Android 12 and am getting the same result.

Problem just seems to be displaying the profile list.

8 minutes ago, Bob83a said:

Is anyone else having the issue with the app where the Hornby logo is just a grey panel on every profile in the list and also the background of all the TTS profiles has gone black.

i have tried multiple devices, iPad 15.8 and 17.4 and Android 12 and am getting the same result.

not having that issue,   only issue is camera wont take photos of the train but i can live without it but that only issue i have so far

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, The Meerkat said:

not having that issue,   only issue is camera wont take photos of the train but i can live without it but that only issue i have so far

I couldn’t take a photo with the app on android (uploading one I took earlier wasn’t a problem) but I switched to an IPhone and this works perfect.

1 hour ago, Johan DC said:

I couldn’t take a photo with the app on android (uploading one I took earlier wasn’t a problem) but I switched to an IPhone and this works perfect.

i think its the app and which android & OS , im sure it get fixed in time,  like i said it not big issue for me as the app works fine added trains and can control them all fine

16 hours ago, Bob83a said:

That has been identified as a memory problem in the app that was slowing scrolling of the profiles, so the logos have been greyed for now.

I have just now used the camera in both iOS and Android live apps without any problems. Have you given the app permission to use the camera.

21 hours ago, Michanglais said:

Hi all,

Cheers,

Michael

You can also pop the loco on your program track and set the decoder address that way. Then pop it back on the main track and set it up via Bluetooth that way. I've had the same problem and got round it doing this.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Johan DC said:

What brand of Android? It does not work on my Sony Xperia. It seems that it is the os that is blocking it even when the right permissions are set. The app is making all the right calls etc. It's not that much of a problem as you say, so pretty low diwn in the priority list 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

What brand of Android? It does not work on my Sony Xperia. It seems that it is the os that is blocking it even when the right permissions are set. The app is making all the right calls etc. It's not that much of a problem as you say, so pretty low diwn in the priority list 

8 hours ago, RAF96 said:

That has been identified as a memory problem in the app that was slowing scrolling of the profiles, so the logos have been greyed for now.

I have just now used the camera in both iOS and Android live apps without any problems. Have you given the app permission to use the camera.

given the app all the permissions but android also wont give permission were the photos are stored so cant even import / upload a photo keeps saying i need change settings and not sure you can change them,   

On 29/02/2024 at 22:46, D3489gibson said:

The screen grabs from my phone show the Dongle assigned to Lion, and also the Function map I've created for it. All of the functions worked accordingly when pressed. One thing I did notice, whilst another club member put one of their locos onto the tracks, is that if there is a short circuit on the track, which did occur, the Dongle stays active. This is pretty nice given that the signal in our club rooms isn't that great for 5G or BT for that matter!! 

As I've said above, a bit more tinkering with the functions is definitely required, but my next port of call is to trial a loco with more than 8 functions! 

Nathan...

Hi Nathan, can you let me know which version of the Lenz system you are using please and which Lenz box? (LZV100 or 200). I'm using the 200 and although I can use the first 6 functions (F0 - F5) after that none of them work. I've got an old LZV100 box and am thinking of swapping back to see if that works all the functions past F5, but it would be nice to know if you have a similar problem, and if not, what your Lenz setup is using. Thanks.

56 minutes ago, Tony Walker said:

Hi Nathan, can you let me know which version of the Lenz system you are using please and which Lenz box? (LZV100 or 200). I'm using the 200 and although I can use the first 6 functions (F0 - F5) after that none of them work. I've got an old LZV100 box and am thinking of swapping back to see if that works all the functions past F5, but it would be nice to know if you have a similar problem, and if not, what your Lenz setup is using. Thanks.

Hiya,

We have LZV100's at out club, all V3.0! I can't say I had any issues, apart from not being able to control my class 11 whilst running Lion. More testing will be done this Thursday when we have our test track up!

Nathan...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

After a long and hard battle with a dead spot (bad track laying of my part) I was wondering, if these decoders would work with a battery? I have no direct plans, but would be a fun project I think.

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Johan DC said:

After a long and hard battle with a dead spot (bad track laying of my part) I was wondering, if these decoders would work with a battery? I have no direct plans, but would be a fun project I think.

I have seen adverts for these decoders using batteries for use on 0 gauge locos. 

• Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, Johan DC said:

The Power bank (stay alive) will cope with the dead spots, but several folk report using the decoders with dead rail. Just ensure you build in adequate short circuit and charging protection as LiPo batteries burn easily if abused.

• Informative/Useful 1

Question, is there a shortage of power banks in general?

I'm in Australia and everywhere is out of stock.  I'm not sure they ever even got them in.

I'm wondering if it's a broader issue or just that stupid Australian wholesaler again.

5 hours ago, leonk said:

I'm in Australia and everywhere is out of stock.  I'm not sure they ever even got them in.

I'm wondering if it's a broader issue or just that stupid Australian wholesaler again.

Hornby underestimated demand....

• Agree 2

On 13/03/2024 at 12:29, leonk said:

I had trouble finding stay-alive back in Jan, I end up finding some after a tip from a Facebook user. I do think the stay-alive are too big to fit in those loco which really needed them, not even my latest P2 Prince of Wales had enough place to fit them; I think Hornby could make smaller stay-alive with less capacity, the current ones keep the loco powered when idle with sound for at least 25 seconds, so cutting the capacity could allow for smaller size and easier fit.

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 11/03/2024 at 15:20, Tony Walker said:

Hiya Tony,

I took my dongle down to the club room last night, and ended up testing it out on Medway Quay, our O gauge layout that will be at Ally Pally this weekend. 

I was able to control the non-sound locos, but couldn't control the Sound fitted ones for some reason..

Nathan...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, D3489gibson said:

Hiya Tony,

I took my dongle down to the club room last night, and ended up testing it out on Medway Quay, our O gauge layout that will be at Ally Pally this weekend. 

I was able to control the non-sound locos, but couldn't control the Sound fitted ones for some reason..

Nathan...

Would that be Non DCC fitted or DCC fitted but without sound?

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I've just set up my dongle with a Lenz system. It seems to run short addresses Ok, but not long addresses.

I've confirmed the operation of a particular loco by giving it a short address - I used 100 - and assigning that to the dongle - it works.

Give the loco a long address e.g. 1111 and assign to dongle - doesn't work.

Am I missing something simple on a setup?

I have "Elite" selected as the DCC controller type

Lenz system is a LZV100  Can't remember what s/w version it is (haven't got my LH100 to hand to check it) , but it was upgraded when my handsets were upgraded to v3.6

Edited by newbryford
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, newbryford said:

I've just set up my dongle with a Lenz system. It seems to run short addresses Ok, but not long addresses.

I've confirmed the operation of a particular loco by giving it a short address - I used 100 - and assigning that to the dongle - it works.

Give the loco a long address e.g. 1111 and assign to dongle - doesn't work.

Am I missing something simple on a setup?

I have "Elite" selected as the DCC controller type

Lenz system is a LZV100  Can't remember what s/w version it is (haven't got my LH100 to hand to check it) , but it was upgraded when my handsets were upgraded to v3.6

Mick, I've got locos to operate using 4 digit addresses OK but cannot use any function above F5 (F0 - F5). The sounds on F1 obviously work and so do horns set on the lower functions, but that's it. I'm using the new LZV200 box with the latest software and LH101 control. I think I might try my old LZV100 box and see if that operates any more functions. Will let you know.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tony Walker said:

Mick, I've got locos to operate using 4 digit addresses OK but cannot use any function above F5 (F0 - F5). The sounds on F1 obviously work and so do horns set on the lower functions, but that's it. I'm using the new LZV200 box with the latest software and LH101 control. I think I might try my old LZV100 box and see if that operates any more functions. Will let you know.

Hi Tony,

Thanks, so i't probably something I'm missing.

I know the loco works on a long address as I currently have a Multimaus handset plugged in - and I've cross-checked operation of the loco with a Powercab on my test bench.

I haven't checked the higher F-key functions yet - just trying to get it to work with long addresses.

Edited by newbryford