Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Swiss Model Railway Announcements/Wishlist

SBB1

Are we allowed to talk about HO in this topic?!

Pretty much the only thing I’m holding out for at the moment is the exquisite, bronze SOB Traverso RABe 526 Voralpen Express set. I’m so enamoured with this train that I would pay pretty much whatever it cost. Not only are they great to look at, but they also have wide geographical coverage.

I’d love one of the Piko Giruno sets but it’s prohibitively expensive. 
I really need to focus my spending on track and electrics, so that I can build something for my now large collection of HO and HOm to actually run on! Thinking about the cost of catenary gives me nightmares. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Having just dived into the wonderful world of the Kato Rhaetische Bahn I am sooo hoping that they will at some point release a Ge 6/6 1 Crocodile. What are the chances of that? Kato produce models of steam engines so the coupling rods shouldn't really be a problem for them. I imagine that it would be a massively popular model. Does anyone have any info/rumours about this, by any chance?

On 24/08/2023 at 15:19, faded_Glory said:

Having just dived into the wonderful world of the Kato Rhaetische Bahn I am sooo hoping that they will at some point release a Ge 6/6 1 Crocodile. What are the chances of that? Kato produce models of steam engines so the coupling rods shouldn't really be a problem for them. I imagine that it would be a massively popular model. Does anyone have any info/rumours about this, by any chance?

People have been saying the same thing since the inception of the Kato Glacier Express stuff circa 2015. I even suggested it to Mr Kato himself but nothing yet

• Like 1

Thank you for responding! It doesn't sound too good then, at least for the near term.

I have a 'spare' rake of coaches and was thinking of putting off buying locomotive power for that, in case the Crocodile suddenly appears on the scene. Now I think that perhaps I should just get another Ge 4/4 III for now, and let the future take care of itself. If they ever do release it, it might well come as a set with dedicated coaches anyway...

In the meantime I could always get a Del Prado one as a scenic ornament!

Thanks again!

Edited by faded_Glory

9 hours ago, faded_Glory said:

Thank you for responding! It doesn't sound too good then, at least for the near term.

I have a 'spare' rake of coaches and was thinking of putting off buying locomotive power for that, in case the Crocodile suddenly appears on the scene. Now I think that perhaps I should just get another Ge 4/4 III for now, and let the future take care of itself. If they ever do release it, it might well come as a set with dedicated coaches anyway...

In the meantime I could always get a Del Prado one as a scenic ornament!

Thanks again!

I have a motorised Del Prado Croc. It's 1:160 so slightly small but putting Kato chassis in it pushes the height up quite nicely.

What stock have you got? Bear in mind that the Glacier express coaches are always hauled by Ge4/4II on Chur - Disentis, and for the last few years they are the standard traction for GEX on the Albula.

There is also heaps of RhB stuff on Shapeways

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

Now that is an intriguing idea! I did order a Del Prado one, they go for pennies on the Internet, it should be with me in a few days. What Kato chasis did you use? I presume a Bo-Bo one, making it more akin to the Ge 4/4 82?

These are the trains I can run right now:

Ge 4/4 II with a rake of EW1 coaches and a Gourmino

Ge 4/4 III Unesco with the container wagons

Allegra with 3 Bernina panorama coaches plus the open coach (in summer) or a 4th panaorama (in winter)

I have another rake of EW1 coaches plus the luggage coach, but no locomotive just yet. I was thinking of getting another Ge 4/4 III, I know where I can get a plain red one for a reasonable price (the fancy coloured ones go for silly money, if you can find one at all). On the other hand, I could put a baby Crocodile in front of the container coaches and use the Unesco loco for the passenger train. To be honest I'm not too fussed about historically accurate train compositions.

At the moment I am just laying out track on the kitchen table.

20230827-102400.jpg

I have a hobby room with a fixed H0 layout along the walls. I could make some changes in that room which would give me space for a 4x7 feet Rhatische Bahn layout (without affecting the H0 one). Worth thinking about.

I'm going on a rail tour to Switzerland in October :)

Edited by faded_Glory
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/08/2023 at 01:25, Gordonwis said:

I have a motorised Del Prado Croc. It's 1:160 so slightly small but putting Kato chassis in it pushes the height up quite nicely.

What stock have you got? Bear in mind that the Glacier express coaches are always hauled by Ge4/4II on Chur - Disentis, and for the last few years they are the standard traction for GEX on the Albula.

There is also heaps of RhB stuff on Shapeways

Do you have any details or photos of your Krok? Would be really interested in seeing them. 🙂 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, cornish trains jez said:

Evening all,

Photos have appeared of the Hobbytrain Re4/4 vi painted samples and I have to say, these look absolutely stunning. Photos below from the Lemke Facebook page today.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Agree - they look great. I doubt at today's prices they will be a top priority for me even though they are absolutely from 'my era'

A minor correction to your Roman, Jeremy: Re4/4 vi should read Re4/4 iv

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Gordonwis said:

Agree - they look great. I doubt at today's prices they will be a top priority for me even though they are absolutely from 'my era'

A minor correction to your Roman, Jeremy: Re4/4 vi should read Re4/4 iv

Ah yes, I meant to write “iv”. 

One thing I have noticed since posting was that the cab door handrails seem to be moulded rather than seperately fitted. The front cab hand rail seems to be a seperately fitted item so it’s a shame they haven’t done the others as seperately fitted too.

I think I’ll be getting at least one although I’d like all 4 of them! Might get into trouble with senior management if I get all 4! 😂

Best regards,

Jeremy

21 hours ago, Gordonwis said:

I've been scanning my late father's photos and here is 10103 arriving into Lausanne with what must be  the TEE Cisalpin from Paris on 19 August 1983

rjsw 10103 19 8 83.jpg

Nice photo Gordon. Where would the loco changeover have taken place on this service? Assume the Re4/4 would not have taken the service from Paris.

4 hours ago, cornish trains jez said:

Nice photo Gordon. Where would the loco changeover have taken place on this service? Assume the Re4/4 would not have taken the service from Paris.

Vallorbe.

The SNCF multicurrent CC21000 (promised now by Arnold) were designed to be used on the loco hauled Cisalpin (after it was changed to loco haulage from 'RAe TEE' sets. They ran Paris - Vallorbe (1500v dc as far as Dole and 25kV thereafter to Vallorbe).

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Question for the forum hivemind: are there any N bogie tank wagons that would be appropriate for Swiss standard gauge set 2017-present? Specifically types that convey fuel/other flammables. 'Zacns' seems to crop up a lot in photos in various liveries and states of cleanliness - hopefully this gives you an idea of what I'm after!

Cheers,

Andrew

4 hours ago, SBB1 said:

Question for the forum hivemind: are there any N bogie tank wagons that would be appropriate for Swiss standard gauge set 2017-present? Specifically types that convey fuel/other flammables. 'Zacns' seems to crop up a lot in photos in various liveries and states of cleanliness - hopefully this gives you an idea of what I'm after!

Cheers,

Andrew

Numerous types of fuel tankers (of all types and operators/lessors) operate across Switzerland. I'v got around 40 (at least) all told in my N gauge collection, and it really hardly matters if they are officially  'Swiss' or not - I mix and match . Just about any European N gauge fuel tank wagon will do.

In my picture near Geneva in May 2023 these are the ubiquitous VTG ribbed type (registered in Germany) -  try Minitrix

or Flesichmann 

However it is very hard to specify as models come and go and what you will find to suit your budget could be from any source, new or second hand 

CH May 23 (607).JPG

CH May 23 (600).JPG

Thank you for the info and images @Gordonwis

A little bit more digging and it looks like Fleischmann have some tankers in the 82581x range with new variants still being produced.

Minitrix suggestion was spot on - this is exactly the type I'm looking for: https://www.trix.de/en/products/details/article/15367 Their numbering system is a little less intuitive but hopefully with a bit of digging I'll find more examples. Still no VTG in present day configuration. Maybe that's one for the wishlist!

You should be able to find quite a few suitable examples from Minitrix including some specifically aimed at the Swiss market such as the Osterwalder/Avia and plain Wascosa ones.

Have you also considered the tankwagons from Brawa?

https://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/Güterwagen/Kesselwagen/Brawa-67258/de/modell_392515.html

They are a slightly older design but some are still in use today.

John

10 hours ago, SBB1 said:

Thank you for the info and images @Gordonwis

A little bit more digging and it looks like Fleischmann have some tankers in the 82581x range with new variants still being produced.

Minitrix suggestion was spot on - this is exactly the type I'm looking for: https://www.trix.de/en/products/details/article/15367 Their numbering system is a little less intuitive but hopefully with a bit of digging I'll find more examples. Still no VTG in present day configuration. Maybe that's one for the wishlist!

Minitrix

Minitrix tend to issue packs or sets (some very large - up to 20 wagons in one set), hence the numbering system. This is why finding Minitrix wagons is somewhat of a lottery. The sets tend to get broken up (either by retailers or by the purchaser) so you can find them here there and everywhere on the second hand market. 

For example, set 15254 was "20 modern freight cars" with ref numbers 15254-01 to 15254-20, of which 15254-01 to 15254-04 were the classic grey ribbed oil tankers with GATX brand (seen in Switzerland)

For tank wagons therefore try:

15254 01 to 04

15265-01 to 04 (VTG markings silver livery)

15274 01 to 05 (OMV/Wascosa)

15514-01 to 15514-16 (all GATX large logo)

15645-14

Fleischmann

I've got very few Fleischmann tank wagons , because for years Fleischmann has just reliveried old 'shorty' tank wagon mouldings, but at last, as you correctly identify, the new 825819 bucks that trend, but they still have the 'heavyweight' German bogies (which I feel tend not to be seen in France or Switzerland)

Arnold

I like some of the Arnold offerings, eg:

HN6288

Edited by Gordonwis
  • Informative/Useful 1

Most tank wagons change guise / get rebranded  very frequently so it is It is quite remarkable that the wagon represented by Minitrix 15129 is still the same 23 years on! My phot is from this year, the model was issued in 2000!

CH May 23 (144).JPG

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Gordonwis said:

Minitrix

Minitrix tend to issue packs or sets (some very large - up to 20 wagons in one set), hence the numbering system. This is why finding Minitrix wagons is somewhat of a lottery. The sets tend to get broken up (either by retailers or by the purchaser) so you can find them here there and everywhere on the second hand market. 

For example, set 15254 was "20 modern freight cars" with ref numbers 15254-01 to 15254-20, of which 15254-01 to 15254-04 were the classic grey ribbed oil tankers with GATX brand (seen in Switzerland)

For tank wagons therefore try:

15254 01 to 04

15265-01 to 04 (VTG markings silver livery)

15274 01 to 05 (OMV/Wascosa)

15514-01 to 15514-16 (all GATX large logo)

15645-14

Fleischmann

I've got very few Fleischmann tank wagons , because for years Fleischmann has just reliveried old 'shorty' tank wagon mouldings, but at last, as you correctly identify, the new 825819 bucks that trend, but they still have the 'heavyweight' German bogies (which I feel tend not to be seen in France or Switzerland)

Arnold

I like some of the Arnold offerings, eg:

HN6288

Great detail @Gordonwis, thank you. It looks as though I won't have too many problems assembling a prototypical mix-and-match consist. 

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 1

At the risk of straying off topic, more example shots I have taken as I am quite the fan of tank wagons ( I photograph wagons randomly as they pass me to give me modelling detail / inspiration for later (this topic being a great example ) 

11 October 2021 I drove to the field above Frick and saw lots of variety. This tanker train included at least seven different variants, including large logo GATX, small logo GATX white, Ermewa, VTG, blue Wascosa - and few is any were actually registered in CH!

Into the bargain a nice loco livery variation on ex-Crossrail (AFAIR) 186 910

IMG_9216 (2b).jpg

IMG_9217 (2b).jpg

IMG_9218 (2b).jpg

IMG_9219 (2).jpg

IMG_9220 (2b).jpg

The next day 12 Oct 2021 at Othmarsingen.

430 114 with a short block of large logo GATX white version:

IMG_9432 (2b).jpg

IMG_9435 (2b).jpg

Edited by Gordonwis
  • Like 2

Not off-topic at all @Gordonwis - while the it's clearly possible to recreate some of these trains in N, I 'wish' there were more examples produced and with more regularity, so definitely appropriate for the wishlist. Another great example of the variety you see on Swiss railways, within just one type of wagon. 

• Agree 1