Swiss Model Railway Announcements/Wishlist

SBB1

On 31/12/2023 at 13:17, MOB 2002 said:

Can’t help but think they’d have done better by packaging up the Bdt with some SBB EWI’s all in NPZ livery. Surely the market for BLS driving trailers is fairly well catered for by Hobbytrain right now?  

Still, I suppose it does mean that we are finally seeing the Bdt without it being essential to buy an Rbe4/4 too. 

Mark

Perhaps someone at Piko had been watching Youtube and thought they could crash Hobbytrain's party?

► Abschied von den BLS EW I Wagen (youtube.com)

These won't be cheap - Menzels Lokschuppen have pre-listed the two-car 'Bdt plus B' set and the three-car set at 190 EUR each - but for my money (having one of each in my collection) the Piko Bdt is a better model than the Hobbytrain driving trailer, and likely to 'go' better with the Piko coaches.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Montreux_1991 said:

These won't be cheap - 

Indeed the catalogue gives Piko's RRP (Euro 210) - the German big retailers as usual will probably knock 10 - 20 Euros off that 

On 31/12/2023 at 13:17, MOB 2002 said:

Can’t help but think they’d have done better by packaging up the Bdt with some SBB EWI’s all in NPZ livery. 

Still, I suppose it does mean that we are finally seeing the Bdt without it being essential to buy an Rbe4/4 too. 

Mark

Here we are again! Piko's decision making perennially baffles me. First there was the 'no driving trailer without an RBe'  - now here we have the long awaited 'separate' BDt but it is (a) in essentially a very short lived guise (SBB NPZ livery with a particular BLS logo) and (b) still paired with something which perhaps we don't want (c) the RRP of 210 makes it not hugely cheaper than the price of an RBe/BDt pair

• Agree 1

Next up: Arnold

2024 looks like a great year for Italian motive power (D445, E646 and ETR1000) but the only new Swiss items are BLS re4/4s (161, 173 and 192, with or without sound) and two Epoch II Edelweiss-Pullman coach sets.

It's now 33 years and counting since the Lima NPZ was last produced. Does this mean Arnold / Hornby don't have usable tooling?

3 hours ago, Montreux_1991 said:

Next up: Arnold

2024 looks like a great year for Italian motive power (D445, E646 and ETR1000) but the only new Swiss items are BLS re4/4s (161, 173 and 192, with or without sound) and two Epoch II Edelweiss-Pullman coach sets.

It's now 33 years and counting since the Lima NPZ was last produced. Does this mean Arnold / Hornby don't have usable tooling?

Not so great for the rolling stock to go with the Italian motive power though! It looks like slate grey UIC’s and C1 liveried Eurofimas will appear again, but good luck trying to get hold of liver and grey UIC carriages … and please nobody mention full brakes! From what I’ve seen the 2023 releases of Italian coaching stock has sold out almost before it’s hit the shelves.

The Lima NPZ was a frustratingly good model for its time. I can only assume the fact most recent liveries would require the tooling of a new centre car has ruled it out. Good second hand ones still often go at around the £150 mark even with the prehistoric Lima EWI.

Mark

2 hours ago, MOB 2002 said:

Not so great for the rolling stock to go with the Italian motive power though! It looks like slate grey UIC’s and C1 liveried Eurofimas will appear again, but good luck trying to get hold of liver and grey UIC carriages … and please nobody mention full brakes! From what I’ve seen the 2023 releases of Italian coaching stock has sold out almost before it’s hit the shelves.

The Lima NPZ was a frustratingly good model for its time. I can only assume the fact most recent liveries would require the tooling of a new centre car has ruled it out. Good second hand ones still often go at around the £150 mark even with the prehistoric Lima EWI.

Mark

Livery application has always struck me as the weakest point of the Lima NPZ - the shame is that Arnold re-issued centre cars (3256/7/8) in the 1990s with plug doors, close coupling and a much sharper finish, but didn't reissue the NPZ. Adding insult to injury, they used a ‘paler than Lima’ shade of yellow for the doors.

Even today, a sharp coat of paint (plus - ideally - upgraded bogies and pantographs) would make a fine model, assuming the tooling remains usable.

I wish I could say the same for the Arnold UIC-X coaches. Or pretty much any of the alternatives, for one reason or another…

3 hours ago, Montreux_1991 said:

Livery application has always struck me as the weakest point of the Lima NPZ - the shame is that Arnold re-issued centre cars (3256/7/8) in the 1990s with plug doors, close coupling and a much sharper finish, but didn't reissue the NPZ. Adding insult to injury, they used a ‘paler than Lima’ shade of yellow for the doors.

Even today, a sharp coat of paint (plus - ideally - upgraded bogies and pantographs) would make a fine model, assuming the tooling remains usable.

One possible factor in the 'reissue the NPZ?' scenario is exactly the fact that it was produced 30 years ago - ie at the time when NPZ was 'the latest thing' - which is certainly isn't now, with only Dominos left 'in the current public eye' 

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

These Browns are very welcome but I hope they’ve sorted out the chassis for this run. I have one from the previous release of these improved models (as opposed to the much older models with blanked out cab windows). The body is well modelled, the colouring is good, and it ran well for a while. But the electrical path from bogies to chassis was through very fine soldered wires which too often came unattached in use and were virtually impossible to resolder without damage to the plastic parts. It has been in pieces on my work bench for over a year now while I try to come up with a fix. 

Edited by Frutigen
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Frutigen said:

These Browns are very welcome but I hope they’ve sorted out the chassis for this run. I have one from the previous release of these improved models (as opposed to the much older models with blanked out cab windows). The body is well modelled, the colouring is good, and it ran well for a while. But the electrical path from bogies to chassis was through very fine soldered wires which too often came unattached in use and were virtually impossible to resolder without damage to the plastic parts. It has been in pieces on my work bench for over a year now while I try to come up with a fix. 

I have had exactly the same problem with my Arnold Re 4/4's but luckily been able to re-solder them without damage. I have also had wires come adrift in the Arnold Re 484 and even the much more recent ETR 610.

Arnold really need to find ways of making these wires more durable or better still get rid of them altogether like most other manufacturers have done.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Two nice completely new toolings from LGB but unfortunately €1450 each. 
The MGB loco will no doubt come in Brunig and FO liveries later. 

IMG_2809.jpeg.3d47e76e2449ecf11f71d675b1ac91c7.jpeg

IMG_2808.jpeg.db39c74e8d474884c9d33024a9fc4aff.jpeg

• Like 1

Talking of 'new' items, I thought I might as well post here.

I've just taken delivery of a few Fleischmann EWIV red-door coaches. I'm pleased to say that the doors and stripe are in the correct 'vibrant' red colour and not the rather dull and lack lustre colour shown in the catalogue (if that was putting anyone off).

Do feel free to move this post if there's anywhere more relevant to put it.

Cheers,

Michael

• Like 1

If last year is a gauge, could the 2024 Fleischmann announcements be imminent - was January 10 last year.

I can’t imagine anything earth shattering, but part of me expects to see an Re10/10 combo. If so I hope it’s in pre Cargo condition. 

Mark

On 07/01/2024 at 08:13, cornish trains jez said:

Morning,

As already mentioned above, here are the Arnold BLS Re4/4 from the catalogue.

F2A3E870-13F4-4C9C-8B7D-DF670DF49F00.png.6d399231a139f1919d2083f61ac1989d.png

D8F4AD3E-FC75-4B94-9E52-184562F9BA9D.png.9c8a8012af4075f7fb59a8122c44c707.png

Best regards,

Jeremy

As the pictures are photomontages, I wonder if the re-run might be re-tooled with more accurate ratio of width to height shape. Thanks to some of the people frequenting this forum, I realised that the cab windows are more like an Ae4/4, so sold both my Arnold BLS163s on the basis that - if the expensive up to date model is inaccurate I may as well stick to using the older models. As such at present i have about three of the older bodies (including the BN lettered version) running on Minitrix Re4/4II chassis

Edited by Gordonwis
  • Like 1

Regarding BLS Brownies. I should also have added that there is a very nicely done 3D printed Re4/4 available through Shapeways. It can be made to sit nicely on at least two of the available Swiss Bo-Bo chassis options (ie Kato Ae4/4 and Minitrix Re4/4II

• Like 1

Here is the Shapeways BLS 174, compared against Arnold, and Kato Ae4/4. The key is that the Arnold Re4/4, like the current Fleischmann Re4/4II is too wide for its height, resulting in a disappointingly  squat appearance. The same 'body too wide' issue also afflicts quite a few other models, notably the Minitrix DDR Ludmilla, and the Kato 1:150 Ge4/4II .

Note that this exercise has proven to me that  it is really the shape issue not the windows that is the problem (I've edited my earlier port to reflect this)

The crispness of the number and lettering on 174 is notably good for a 3D print

20240111_172452.jpg

20240111_173433.jpg

20240111_173651.jpg

20240111_173348.jpg

20240111_173452.jpg

20240111_173216.jpg

20240111_173235.jpg

Edited by Gordonwis
  • Like 2

Picking up a few comments on the Arnold BLS Re 4/4:

Excess width is a longstanding problem in N gauge – not least on steam engines with (inevitably overscale) outside cylinders and valve gear.

Arnold (BLS) and Fleischmann (SBB) Re 4/4s are both around 19.5mm wide. On the Fleischmann, most of the excess width seems to be in one place – the rounded ‘cab corner’ windows – making it obvious now I know what to look for. I’m not sure the Arnold is so obvious.

That said, earlier Arnold production looked so bad (black plastic windows being a particular low point) that I’m surprised Lemaco never tried their luck in brass. As already noted by Frutigen, the model was reissued around ten years ago (HNS 2238 / 2239 /2240) with clear glazing, interior detail and improved finish. I assume this year’s models will have sound-related chassis modifications but no further changes to the bodyshell.

For a replacement chassis I’d look no further than the (split frame, smooth-running) Hobbytrain SBB Re 4/4. If you’re not fussy about livery, complete brand-new models can usually be found on ebay.de from around EUR 125.

I’m also puzzled by comments (on this thread and the recent ‘Ae 4/4 being winched’ thread) that BLS Ae 4/4 and Re 4/4 look similar. Doesn’t everyone just look at the cab window frames?

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Montreux_1991 said:

That said, earlier Arnold production looked so bad (black plastic windows being a particular low point) that I’m surprised Lemaco never tried their luck in brass.

FWIW Lemaco issued a Re4/4i in N. It is 18.55mm wide excluding handrails, 19.55mm wide including the handrails.

14 hours ago, Montreux_1991 said:

I’m also puzzled by comments (on this thread and the recent ‘Ae 4/4 being winched’ thread) that BLS Ae 4/4 and Re 4/4 look similar. Doesn’t everyone just look at the cab window frames?

I'm sure that the GWR modellers feel the same way when folk say that there's no difference between Saints, Stars, Halls and Castles (the Churchward and subsequent versions, of course!)

Edited by DIW
Speeling eroor

16 hours ago, Montreux_1991 said:

That said, earlier Arnold production looked so bad (black plastic windows being a particular low point) that I’m surprised Lemaco never tried their luck in brass.

The black plastic windows don't bother me too much, after all windows do appear black in many types of outdoor lighting conditions - just look at photos of the real thing where in many cases the cab windows look black, eg https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.9d5100e9026ee2fe88e5d31bdb4a624f?rik=NQYhfR%2bCMD1XOg&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

Also opaque windows they mask the lack of a driver that is rather obvious on some models. The original idea was also to presumably hide the motor inside.

Overall despite the squat appearance I'm quite happy with the 'middle-older' moulding - which even has slightly raised worksplates. The black side windows can be replaced. My BN 179 currently has no side glazing at all at isn't all that apparent from a distance. And on the subject of seeing the model chassis through clear windows, I find seeing the chassis block through the windows is actually quite nice, you see some metalwork which is, after all an electric motor housing just like the real thing!

1 hour ago, MOB 2002 said:

Looks like the 2024 Fleischmann catalogue has been leaked … https://www.trainsdepot.org/manufacturers/pdfs/download/1290/fleischmann_novelties_2024_pdf

The big potential excitement seems to be a completely new Re4/4 II, although that’s slightly tempered by the fact that there seems to be neither a green or a red one coming any time soon!

Mark

Photo montages - so no guarantees yet ! However it would be pretty poor if the marketing people hadn't woken up to the shape inaccuracies of the previous 'brand new' Re4/4II (and also perhaps an 'egg on face ' admission that they spent loads a money on a duff model)

An interesting thing in the 'inset blow up' images is what looks like a raised FFS lettering

If it’s up to the standard of the Re6/6 then I’m sure it’ll be great. But I don’t get the choice of prototypes they’ve gone for - then again, I think most of the manufacturers have serious quick wins of re-liveries that would fly off the shelves on their hands. 

I think an obvious one for Fleischmann actually would be their steel baggage carriage with the post 1987 SBB logo. Nobody else is filling that gap.

Mark