Abbotswood and Norton Junction …. Rolling stock

• RMweb Gold

Thought I would seperate out a rolling stock thread from the layout build. Hasn’t been too much activity on this front lately but have finished these off…

Two Coil J wagons to join the steel trains - cut down Bachmann ore tipplers with a new top edge added from micro strip, transfers from @railtec-models … thanks Steve …. Coil supporting battens added and some weathering. 

68E5187B-68A0-4FD4-B044-6E3748D13857.jpeg.d7025ed33f59f84de90fb53bbac98ea3.jpeg

Have also been tinkering with DCC settings on locos…. Having got an ABC section to work all locos with V4 and V5 chips needed a good talking to to get them to obey it. But all now good … Have also removed braking inertia from all locos so stopping should be more controllable.

Back to layout build …

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Have also removed braking inertia from all locos so stopping should be more controllable.

This was something I found I needed to do too, particularly for the loco changes on Dagworth but since continued into everything else.

Wagons look good. 

Andi

• Thanks 1

On 13/01/2023 at 12:26, Phil Bullock said:

Have also been tinkering with DCC settings on locos…. Having got an ABC section to work all locos with V4 and V5 chips needed a good talking to to get them to obey it. But all now good … Have also removed braking inertia from all locos so stopping should be more controllable.

On 13/01/2023 at 12:39, Dagworth said:

This was something I found I needed to do too, particularly for the loco changes on Dagworth but since continued into everything else.

Hi,

This is something I've been thinking about, I was thinking of trying to program everything with the same braking rate, but I'm now wondering if turning off the inertia altogether would be simpler, so I have one question.

How does it affect running with sound locos? I'm thinking of if it affects the initial pull away pause?

Simon

• RMweb Premium
On 13/01/2023 at 12:26, Phil Bullock said:

Back to layout build …

Hi Phil

The Coil wagons look loverly.

I know I usually take the micky out of DCC but I have always found when driving other peoples trains the use of the braking inertia to be a pain in the backside. It might be more realistic but with me on the controller that image is shattered when I stop short of where I want to or crash into something.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Phil

The Coil wagons look loverly.

I know I usually take the micky out of DCC but I have always found when driving other peoples trains the use of the braking inertia to be a pain in the backside. It might be more realistic but with me on the controller that image is shattered when I stop short of where I want to or crash into something.

Thanks for the kind comment. You are not alone with the inertia issues….  Hence the reason for removing it… hopefully will reduce spads.

4 hours ago, St. Simon said:

Hi,

This is something I've been thinking about, I was thinking of trying to program everything with the same braking rate, but I'm now wondering if turning off the inertia altogether would be simpler, so I have one question.

How does it affect running with sound locos? I'm thinking of if it affects the initial pull away pause?

Simon

Hi Simon

CV4 controls deceleration inertia on the Loksound chips and is completely independent of starting inertia. The one does not affect the other…. 

Cheers 

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Hi Simon

CV4 controls deceleration inertia on the Loksound chips and is completely independent of starting inertia. The one does not affect the other…. 

Cheers 

Hi Phil,

Thanks, I knew that acceleration and deceleration were separate, but I hadn’t really thought about having different a

values for each, how silly of me!

Simon

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

With the weather not being conducive to layout building outside have been looking for other jobs to do that won’t upset the domestic Apple cart.

Wagon exams came to mind so have decided to apply a 3 tier system working by boxes of wagons…

A exam …. Visual only, repairs as needed. Applied to all stock before each trip out.

B exam …. As A above with addition of wheel cleaning in situ … 6 monthly

C exam - As A exam  but wheels removed for thorough removal of muck, lubricate axles, check back to backs and replace.

Have started with C exams on the oldest and most used wagons …. Empty 16 tonners, clays and Bolster Cs done. The Bolster Cs were the first to benefit from the removal of plastic wheels, subsequently enforced on all stock . The bolsters had run so much their original plastic wheel flanges had worn to become translucent! They have had metal wheels do 10 years now, here’s the accumulated muck removed from 136 wheels…. Removed with a wooden scraper. 

Should hopefully keep track cleaner …

949A446E-4540-415F-A794-8A611A1CADD2.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Haven’t done much with rolling stock through the summer as spent a lot of time in the Pirton layout. Now that’s been shown it’s back to my own layout and stock.

Banana vans nearly finished … will post when done… but here’s a little fill in project.

Timber bodied opens were disappearing in the 60s/70s but there were still a few around. According to Paul Bartlett’s super collection of photos the old Mainline BR bauxite 5 plank open was an Ex SR wagon vacuum fitted by BR.

I quite like the body but not the chassis…. So project is to fit a Peco Ex PD 10ft chassis , detailing includes buffers, vacuum cylinder and draw hooks from Lanarkshire Models, axle box ties from Cambrian and brass brake cross shaft, plus NEM pockets and Bachmann couplings.

Original subject and modified version, Not painted yet to show detailing….

75F30162-2231-47C5-9E01-15CBA4001871.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
Clarity
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Haven’t done much with rolling stock through the summer as spent a lot of time in the Pirton layout. Now that’s been shown it’s back to my own layout and stock.

Banana vans nearly finished … will post when done… but here’s a little fill in project.

Timber bodied opens were disappearing in the 60s/70s but there were still a few around. According to Paul Bartlett’s super collection of photos the old Mainline BR bauxite 5 plank open was an Ex SR wagon vacuum fitted by BR.

I quite like the body but not the chassis…. So project is to fit a Peco Ex PD 10ft chassis , detailing includes buffers, vacuum cylinder and draw hooks from Lanarkshire Models, axle box ties from Cambrian and brass brake cross shaft, plus NEM pockets and Bachmann couplings.

Original subject and modified version, Not painted yet to show detailing….

75F30162-2231-47C5-9E01-15CBA4001871.jpeg

The same model was discussed on this recent thread (ignore the thumbnail RMweb has chosen - that's @31A's conversion of the Airfix open):

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

The same model was discussed on this recent thread (ignore the thumbnail RMweb has chosen - that's @31A's conversion of the Airfix open):

Ah thanks for the heads up missed that! Realised when I looked at the photo again I had forgotten the door bangers. The plastic used in the Peco/PD kit is very brittle…. Had to repair brake levers and rods … so fabricated them out of 0.5 x 1mm brass strip instead.

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

The latest, vol 5, David Larkin Acquired Wagons book has a mouth watering selection of open goods wagons, a plethora indeed!

Mike.

Cheers Mike . Don’t think there were many left in revenue traffic other than the China clays in my era….

• RMweb Gold
On 23/09/2023 at 23:09, Enterprisingwestern said:

You'd be surprised!

Mike.

Will keep hunting for evidence! Meanwhile here’s the two opens finished….

0F78FB00-DFE1-4E73-A106-98F0E41E512B.jpeg.bf6cb3b9ae9ed8cf35ebbe94015f76fe.jpeg

And then there’s project bananas…. Mostly Dapol bodies on Red Panda clasp brake chassis but with a few added Peco ones…. 

1F0E5C34-D230-419E-AAD3-45F5207431A0.jpeg.8211eb07a8aafc6ba79bb3a0eef77645.jpeg

396D7A78-D062-4B03-8042-981203ED0D7F.jpeg.d4e3932c05e0edbcc4d1539939ef3805.jpeg

2EA1E8F2-A69F-4982-B552-4F4E4BC9BE54.jpeg.b54e309132bc977302a980f5ff0cbcf2.jpeg

That’s 19 done in total…. Enough once some Accurascale ones arrive too . Motive power for an Avonmouth to Brum banana special …. How about a pair of 25s?

290(2).jpg.72b740f600bf94b1530e7983cb7b48e4.jpg 

Thanks to Brian Thomas for that one. And also a thanks to @D860 VICTORIOUS for the offer of transfers - didnt need to take it up as already over stocked from  Fox and @railtec-models  - but the kind offer was appreciated.

Edited by Phil Bullock
Structure
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

As late as 1982, there were 13t opens in use for road salt to yards throughout the country, and also in scrap traffic, and MoD traffic,

Cheers! Any idea what diagram wagons? 

• RMweb Premium

When the buffers arrive I will show a completed unpainted one, then order some more kits.

I have fitted Parkside chassis to Dapol LMS van bodies for a much better model.

Some of these old mouldings are pretty good, just let down by chassis.

Those vans look great

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Haven’t done much with the rolling stock lately … too focussed on the layout build! But with @Downendians encouragement I have done some ex LMS design 5 plankers from Parkside and Cambrian kits.., 

IMG_0283.jpeg.f56ef385a6ea5e125d51a4f355976412.jpeg

They can go in the Quedgeley to Newland conco sleeper train which seemed to have just about any open wagon that could move incorporated! 

Now how about motive power for that train? Hmmm … how about a favourite of mine, the last ex BR diesel to retain its original 1960s green paint…?? 😉

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Those 5 planks are a complete minefield as you probably know.

I am just going to put a clasp under frame under a new Parkside 5 plank.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, MJI said:

Those 5 planks are a complete minefield as you probably know.

I am just going to put a clasp under frame under a new Parkside 5 plank.

And finding robust info isn’t easy either! 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

And finding robust info isn’t easy either! 

I did not spot enough either.

Just glad i managed enough minerals, and 2 rakes of MSVs.

• Like 1