Accurascale profits

• RMweb Gold

Looks like a classic slow burner of a business model, a bit like my place of work which has been growing steadily since I started there in 2005. It's good that it is profitable, but not at the expense of the quality of the product.

This is good in this day and age where many if not most businesses are only interested in providing maximum returns to shareholders at the expense of everything else.

• Like 7
  • Agree 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, 97406 said:

Looks like a classic slow burner of a business model, a bit like my place of work which has been growing steadily since I started there in 2005. It's good that it is profitable, but not at the expense of the quality of the product.

This is good in this day and age where many if not most businesses are only interested in providing maximum returns to shareholders at the expense of everything else.

Thank goodness for that comment. I though I was the only surviving human that detests profit before people, as it is at present.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Thank goodness for that comment. I though I was the only surviving human that detests profit before people, as it is at present.

Yep, I harbour a strong disdain for those businesses that ‘steal’ from the rest of us, the enablers in government and the mega rich who pull the strings. 

The good guys deserve our support.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

On 15/01/2023 at 05:32, BachelorBoy said:

I am not an accountant.... so, does the increase in Accurascale UK shareholders' funds of £72,284 (2021 £119,805 minus 2020 £47,521) mean it made a profit of £72,284 after tax?

And if so, does that mean that Accurascale, proportionately, is more profitable than Hornby?

Thanks in advance.

BB

image.png.1b0bb953b882fc939a43d7d98fd8226a.png

Am I the only one thinking about typing bump on every other thread to make this disappear from page 1? Nothing else needs to be said on this subject does it!?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Dorset33 said:

Am I the only one thinking about typing bump on every other thread to make this disappear from page 1? Nothing else needs to be said on this subject does it!?

Its their business and i dont see how it helps putting on threads like this,it says a lot for them that they openly engage in this.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

To me, the business aspect is part and parcel of the experience and I feel reassured that it looks to be going in the right direction. It also helps govern my decisions to purchase more product as it’s announced. 

In addition, the insights into the manufacturing process provided in this sub forum is also of great interest, working as I do with businesses who both manufacture themselves and purchase offshore, although they’re in the apparel industry. 

Edited by 97406
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 15/01/2023 at 18:33, McC said:

Simplified accounts are very 'simple' indeed :) Any well run business will have work in progress valued with stock, or recognise preorder payments not as a sale, but a creditor, etc. Not our first rodeo but suffice to say that accurascale is doing just fine, is profitable and growing carefully :) 

This to me is the very best post on RMweb.

It is from a company who have bold ideas about what they think the modeller wants, and are not afraid to strive for it, They have assembled a very credible team to deliver that and I can tell you that I tingle with excitement at the prospect of announcements from them significantly more than the annual jamboree  from the red box merchant which is always orientated towards "big wheelers from a bygone era" with a smattering of other stuff. 

I want good quality transition era freight stock / locos, from a manufacturer I can trust.  Quite simply Coil A, 21 tonner and HUO, hauled by Manor and Brush type 2 do it for me, as will centre headcode 37s in the fullness of time.  No doubt other really useful locos and items of rolling stock will appear, and if they fit my bill I will buy them. I have no issue with paying a deposit for anything suitable from A/s because I know they will come up with a quality product.  Most importantly there is no crowd funding nonsense, nor are there any perceived risks with a company paddling in red and issuing statements about trying to get back into profitability.

There will always be debate about duplication and that is highly subjective.  IMHO there would be no issues with A/s producing 16 tonners to compete with Bachmann's various kinds, but producing a competing DP1  is a complete waste of effort.

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

The easiest way for Accurascale to increase profits would surely be to increase their run sizes. So much of their stuff is out of stock. Their mk5s and 92s have only just arrived but are already unavailable. Their 37s haven't even arrived yet but are sold out.

I prefer to see a model/ read reviews first before purchase just incase it's a dud; just look at how awful, yet extortionate the Hornby 91 is.

I know having surplus stock isn't good either, but everything Accurascale makes seems to sell well. The biggest discount I've seen from retailers is only about 20%, and that's not that often.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, scottrains29 said:

The easiest way for Accurascale to increase profits would surely be to increase their run sizes. So much of their stuff is out of stock. Their mk5s and 92s have only just arrived but are already unavailable. Their 37s haven't even arrived yet but are sold out.

I prefer to see a model/ read reviews first before purchase just incase it's a dud; just look at how awful, yet extortionate the Hornby 91 is.

I know having surplus stock isn't good either, but everything Accurascale makes seems to sell well. The biggest discount I've seen from retailers is only about 20%, and that's not that often.

Although it could be argued that "leave them begging for more" is a successful strategy. 

• Agree 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/01/2023 at 19:52, scottrains29 said:

Frankly , the 37 run, 92 run and mk5’s are very very large and tied up factory capacity for a long time. With so many new models to make we can’t keep making the same things. In each case preorders were open for years so there isn’t much excuse for missing out :) 92’s and 37’s will be in shops too unless those retailers also sell Out in advance. We know that relatively speaking our first run of 37’s is approximately 5 times larger in quantity than a years production from others. 

Edited by McC
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, McC said:

Franky, the 37 run, 92 run and mk5’s are very very large and tied up factory capacity for a long time. With so many new models to make we can’t keep making the same things. In each case preorders were open for years so there isn’t much excuse for missing out :) 92’s and 37’s will be in shops too unless those retailers also sell Out in advance. We know that relatively speaking our first run of 37’s is approximately 5 times larger in quantity than a years production from others. 

Stick with it lads and lasses. It works and we are pretty impressed so far. Pre ordering and the opportunity to spread payments is an ace strategy thanks.

P

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I actually think it is rather important to all of us who buy Accurascale's products that they make a profit. I seem to remember that back in 1959 BL produced a very interesting product, the Mini. Front wheel drive and lots of other features that were ahead of the times. It was very reasonably priced. In fact of course, the accountants did not realise at the time it was such a bargain because they were losing money on each Mini they sold. We all know what happened as a result. So I hope and trust that Accurascale are as good at managing their finances as they obviously are at designing and commissioning their models. They are needless to say extracting quite a bit out of my bank account and long may they continue!

all the best

Godfrey

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 15/01/2023 at 05:32, BachelorBoy said:

I am not an accountant.... so, does the increase in Accurascale UK shareholders' funds of £72,284 (2021 £119,805 minus 2020 £47,521) mean it made a profit of £72,284 after tax?

And if so, does that mean that Accurascale, proportionately, is more profitable than Hornby?

Thanks in advance.

BB

image.png.1b0bb953b882fc939a43d7d98fd8226a.png

Not necessarily.  Movement in retained earnings will be after any dividend paid to shareholders.  So the in year profit figure could be larger than the difference you observe.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

On the other hand, as a relatively new business, it will be a good thing to not have stock (and essentially money) clogging up shelves. Bear in mind that the Class 92s and Mk5s are only on their first production run so it wont be easy to judge how many of each livery or pack will sell and which are slower. If the first run sells out they'll know which to produce more of in a second run. I'm quite sure we haven't seen the last production run of either so get your money ready for the next one.

I haven't seen a dud Accurascale product yet so think the lads are doing a fine job and I think its a good thing they're seeing a profit from their efforts while producing fantastic models

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

34 minutes ago, GordonC said:

On the other hand, as a relatively new business, it will be a good thing to not have stock (and essentially money) clogging up shelves. Bear in mind that the Class 92s and Mk5s are only on their first production run so it wont be easy to judge how many of each livery or pack will sell and which are slower. If the first run sells out they'll know which to produce more of in a second run. I'm quite sure we haven't seen the last production run of either so get your money ready for the next one.

I haven't seen a dud Accurascale product yet so think the lads are doing a fine job and I think its a good thing they're seeing a profit from their efforts while producing fantastic models

True.

It is a real credit to Accurascale that their products are in such high demand. Having models fly off the shelves and becoming unavailable is a good problem to have. I've purchased more black boxes last year than I've bought from ever other manufacturer combined. Their products are of exceptional quality at a, not necessarily cheap, but realistic and fair price. 

I'm sure they will do re-runs, we just have to be patient! The good news is it'll give my wallet a little time to recover!

• Like 7

On 19/01/2023 at 11:34, scottrains29 said:

True.

It is a real credit to Accurascale that their products are in such high demand. Having models fly off the shelves and becoming unavailable is a good problem to have. I've purchased more black boxes last year than I've bought from ever other manufacturer combined. Their products are of exceptional quality at a, not necessarily cheap, but realistic and fair price. 

I'm sure they will do re-runs, we just have to be patient! The good news is it'll give my wallet a little time to recover!

And look what has just popped back onto the Accurascale website - new and improved 21 tonners.  Just what the doctor ordered. 

I think those who have dilly and dallied with ordering from them, only to be met with "!sold out", have realised they need to get the orders in. I am confident that in the fullness of time there will be another batch of Coil As produced, and if there are I will add more to my collection - certainly room in my stock box for them.   I  am however happy for the 21T HTO and HTV to be produced in the "building Britain" programme - but also room for HJV and HKV and the older ironstone hoppers.   

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The trick is to supply enough to have them sought after without flooding the market and having them worthless if you need to sell up.The different number re runs will tell as to be honest who collects them is probably the only one interested that much,if you run them who sees to that level of detail as they run.

The latest coal and shortened hoppers after the early froth have struggled and been discounted quite a bit recently,20 or 30 people on here dont make another production run and making different things is what will grow their business.

Those with cally six packs will enjoy knowing they can get a return if they wanted to give up and if they need to bolster the funds for the war effort once the other half bolts for the door.

• Like 1

Unfortunately model railways production don't quite fall into your rosey world.  Production quantities are set many months in advance, components ordered, factory slots made etc., etc..  Accurascale have increased quantities for previous items.  Everyone can pre-order, if it has a genuine reason for return you can return it, plus I would say that Accurascale has a reputation for high quality, so what is not to like.  If you want to see before you buy, nothing wrong with it, but you cannot expect companies to make another 500 extra to ensure on the off chance, one is available for you, should you decide to buy one. 

If your local retailer happens to have one when you visit, and you like it, great.   But ultimately its not really anyones fault but yours if you miss out.   Not everything sells out, few recent model wagons of note.  Also, when the funds come in from this product, they can then be ploughed back i  to fund the next item.  Companies in this day and age do not like stock hanging around, that  is true of most manufacturers and is a fact of life.  

• Like 3