Landslip at Hook, Waterloo to Basingstoke route closed

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I would hope that above a certain - not very high - level, anyone can expect to be hauled out of bed when needs must. Being on-call was a standard part of junior and middle operations and engineering management in my BR days. Often shared, of course. As a local manager it was alternative weeks, as a Divisional On-Call Officer it was one week in five. 

But seemingly - from what Controllers have said - no Zone On Call ops officers nowadays on a couple pf Zones (and maybe more?).  So what we used to get as 'run-of-the-mill' types things as Regional On call Ops Officers simply gets dealt with by Control  now.  I don't doubt that there are very senior folk at Director level who are quickly advised for major incidents but i wonder how many of them are qualified in Rules & Regs as we had to be for Regional (or indeed any other level) of Ops On Call and could therefore give advice and make decisions in that respect?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Southernman's heart's-outpouring is stark. Had his worst fears been realised, and a major derailment occurred, an Inquiry might have ensued, with lots of airing of this sort of evidence. Even so, I do wonder whether the local MP might be interested in this history of neglect. BR had a lively Soil Mechanics organisation. I wonder what happened to that in the blasé Railtrack era?

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Southernman's heart's-outpouring is stark. Had his worst fears been realised, and a major derailment occurred, an Inquiry might have ensued, with lots of airing of this sort of evidence. Even so, I do wonder whether the local MP might be interested in this history of neglect. BR had a lively Soil Mechanics organisation. I wonder what happened to that in the blasé Railtrack era?

Indeed, though we should be wary of continuing to blame Railtrack for shortcomings that Network Rail has had many years to correct, just as governments criticise the legacies of predecessors while failing to deal with the actual issues.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Indeed, though we should be wary of continuing to blame Railtrack for shortcomings that Network Rail has had many years to correct, just as governments criticise the legacies of predecessors while failing to deal with the actual issues.

John

I know they've had 'many years' John but from personal observation they had an awful lot of catching up to do -  some perhaps even dating back to the cash strapped days of BR.  I commented on the former WR situation because the amount of work done, and being done, has been very noticeable from simply looking our of the train window.

This compares starkly with the Railtrack era when money intended for maintaining the infrastructure was disbursed as 'profits'  by the most senior decision makers in the company and civil engineers were being starved of the money they needed simply to keep the infrastructure safe for train operation.    NR faced a massive backlog although having said that I still go back to my original comment about what appears to me to be a disparity between Zones

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I know they've had 'many years' John but from personal observation they had an awful lot of catching up to do -  some perhaps even dating back to the cash strapped days of BR.  I commented on the former WR situation because the amount of work done, and being done, has been very noticeable from simply looking our of the train window.

This compares starkly with the Railtrack era when money intended for maintaining the infrastructure was disbursed as 'profits'  by the most senior decision makers in the company and civil engineers were being starved of the money they needed simply to keep the infrastructure safe for train operation.    NR faced a massive backlog although having said that I still go back to my original comment about what appears to me to be a disparity between Zones

Agreed, but the way history repeats itself is concerning.

Not many months ago, a landslip near Honiton tunnel that happened "on my watch" twenty-odd years ago was almost perfectly replicated. On this occasion, fortunately, without having a train off the road.  

After the previous slip was rectified (not a quick or cheap task), we were assured that improved and increased drainage, combined with a new inspection and maintenance regime would ensure it couldn't happen again.

What happens in the real world is that, as soon as most of the people who deal with such occurrences move on or retire, there is a (natural) tendency for newer staff to concentrate on what they can see falling apart....

I suspect this is also what has happened near Hook.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
On 21/01/2023 at 13:49, Dunsignalling said:

Agreed, but the way history repeats itself is concerning.

Not many months ago, a landslip near Honiton tunnel that happened "on my watch" twenty-odd years ago was almost perfectly replicated. On this occasion, fortunately, without having a train off the road.  

After the previous slip was rectified (not a quick or cheap task), we were assured that improved and increased drainage, combined with a new inspection and maintenance regime would ensure it couldn't happen again.

What happens in the real world is that, as soon as most of the people who deal with such occurrences move on or retire, there is a (natural) tendency for newer staff to concentrate on what they can see falling apart....

I suspect this is also what has happened near Hook.

John

The landslip at Honiton was due to the incompetence of the contract firm, it wouldn’t be right to discuss/disclose the details, there is a current investigation underway. I will say, had it have been managed correctly, the slip wouldn’t have happened. 

I will agree to a point on newer staff only concentrating on what can be seen. One of the biggest issues I see over and over, is the lack of hand over between staff when they move on. Add to that, the new individual wants to manage their way, things very quickly get lost/forgotten. 

We should not forget that engineers no longer run the railway, it’s bean counters, the very mention of prevention in maintenance generally results in work being shut down/declined as unnecessary cost. They don’t look at bigger picture, it’s very much the hear and now and react. 

As for Hook, the whole of the site is on a risk register and monitored. The site which slipped showed no signs. During the summer months when other sections suffered from the effects of desiccation, this site held firm, again, following the onslaught of the inclement weather, other sites have shown movement, this site didn’t. Only two days prior, there had been dynamic recording on the Down Slow, the track was as stable as it had been for the previous 6 months if not longer. Add to this, the site had recently been inspected from the track, again no signs of concern. This doesn’t mean that the site is forgotten, but it also doesn’t mean that because it’s a known area of previous concern, that it will be subject to works, just in case. It’s was a sudden and unexpected failure. 
Unfortunately, the slimed down work force, the targets being pushed by the gov and their effects on senior managements way of thinking, the ever reduced access but increased tonnages all result in affecting how the many issues are managed and prioritised. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes a very good bit of work.  It looks as if they've donevit so there are no signal sighting problems either. Regardi g the speed restriction it was probably as cheap to do it for 50 as for a lower limit. Just needed a bit more of the Up Fast removing.  Thanks for the pictures.

Jamie

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Yes a very good bit of work.  It looks as if they've donevit so there are no signal sighting problems either. Regardi g the speed restriction it was probably as cheap to do it for 50 as for a lower limit. Just needed a bit more of the Up Fast removing.  Thanks for the pictures.

Jamie

Signal sighting is rarely an issue along that stretch - it's pretty much arrow straight for nearly 14 miles... The curve visible in the background of that photo is a trick of perspective, and is maybe 100m deviation over the course of about a mile...

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

A view from on the train. Bit of a jolt as we slewed over onto the line of the removed up fast.

Hard to be certain from the perspective but I suspect the slew had to be quite sharp to retain use of the signal immediately before it.

20230124_130053.jpg.325337c76ea7477679fee38b1d819ba8.jpg

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1