Handrail tool

I recall once seeing a handy handrail marking/bending tool. It had various holes representing different length handrails to assist with making them of consistent length.

I've not been able to find them on-sale or where I can get one. Does anyone recall them? Who made them and where are they available?

Thanks in anticipation.

• RMweb Gold

I find the Bill Bedford jig has holes which are too large, and slight inaccuracies can occur.

DCC Concepts do a ruler/bending jig device.

I made my own by drilling 0.35mm holes 0.5mm apart in a strip of 1mm thick brass.

PXL_20230128_154431314.jpg.1eab27456e66aee588f9546a120abb63.jpg

Mike.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern
include picture.
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I find the Bill Bedford jig has holes which are too large, and slight inaccuracies can occur.

I find the Bill Bedford one perfectly useable. Make the first bend and put the bent end in the required hole. Pull the wire tight towards the edge of the tool and hold wire & jig firmly together with parallel pliers. Make second bend.

If you follow the same procedure for every similar handrail they will all come out the same size.

David

• Like 2
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Kylestrome said:

I find the Bill Bedford one perfectly useable. Make the first bend and put the bent end in the required hole. Pull the wire tight towards the edge of the tool and hold wire & jig firmly together with parallel pliers. Make second bend.

If you follow the same procedure for every similar handrail they will all come out the same size.

David

Doesn't work with 0.3mm wire I can assure you!

Mike.

27 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Doesn't work with 0.3mm wire I can assure you!

Mike.

Works for me, too - with 0.3mm. brass, nickel silver or steel wire.

I know what you mean about the holes being too large - but a quick trial with the wire of choice reveals the actual length of the handrail produced, as opposed to the nominal length shown on the jig. It is then easy to compensate for the difference.

CJI.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

Works for me, too - with 0.3mm. brass, nickel silver or steel wire.

I know what you mean about the holes being too large - but a quick trial with the wire of choice reveals the actual length of the handrail produced, as opposed to the nominal length shown on the jig. It is then easy to compensate for the difference.

CJI.

True, but being an impatient sod I built my own!

Mike.

• Funny 1

6 minutes ago, LMRT said:

I got this DCC one from Hattons, since I was able to pop in and save on postage.  I've not used it yet, but it is configured for quite fine wire, as it comes with a 0.45mm drill bit to open the holes up for wider wire,

https://www.dccconcepts.com/product/stainless-steel-scale-ruler-and-handrail-jig/

Looks excellent - but I've got the Bill Bedford jig.

CJI.