Paired Nameplate Suggestions

• RMweb Premium

I recall an article in Railway Modeller that played with the idea of named pairs of locos. They suggested that two Class A3s, Salmon Trout and Sandwich would be a good double header and that the next loco after "Happy Knight" should have been named "Morning After".

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Being serious, consider the way in which industrials were named, often at the whim of a factory/mine owner or manager.  They seem to fall into distinct categories; children, The Classics ,honouraries, localities, accountants, descriptive characteristics, or science.  From the NCB in South Wales for example, Linda (Maesteg NCB system, named after a manager's daughter, there was also Maureen, a tradition carried over from the Nixon empire who owned the mines and the railway system here prior to nationalisation). also Nora at Blaenavon, Menelaous (Cwm colliery near Ebbw Vale), classical, Lord Camrose (Mountain Ash), an honourary.  Fonmon (Rhoose Cement Works) would be a locality.  Forest no.1 must surely have been named by an accountant, and the Ffestiniog's Welsh Pony and Mountaineer would be descriptive characteristics.  Some defy categorisation (go you rebelllious heroes, go!)

So, for the OP's purposes, Alex is obviously a son or daughter and it's running mate, the same model so probably ordered at the same time, would probably be a sibling (can you imagine the family discord if it wasn't!), and shortened names are in play here, so Jim, Babs, Liz, Bill.  One might want to avoid nicknames, but familiarities seem ok.

Locos were traded and bought second-hand of course, and not usually renamed, maybe it was considered bad luck like renaming ships or firms cash-strapped enough to buy secondhand locos couldn't be bothered, so one might have a fleet of engines named to a theme and then an obvious secondhand interloper.  Not uncommon for ex-GW locos sold to the NCB to retain their GW numberplates (9600) and keep the numbers even when the plates were discarded (7754).

I rather like classical names.  I already have Cyclops, and am considering Prometheus, not original but a great steam engine name.  How about three identical locos called Cerebus...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

According to the Preserved British Steam Locomotives website, Menelaus was indeed named to honour William Menalaus the Dowlais works manager, in his capacity as president of the South Wales Institute of Engineers, a post he took up in 1857.  The loco dates to 1913, a Peckett B3, and was one of the last 'working' steam locos in the area, still in operation at Cwm Colliery in 1985.

• RMweb Gold

Pluto and Charon.

Hubble and Kepler (my cats as it happens).

Vesta and Ceres.

Eris and Dysnomia.

No prizes for guessing what my other hobby is.😎

Regards Lez.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

I wonder if this is actually classical - Menelaus being a character in the Illiad - or named after William Menelaus the works manager at Dowlais https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Menelaus .

Menelaus also was the name on the 1846 2-2-2 No.29 of the Manchester, Sheffield & Licolnshire railway.

• RMweb Gold

About 60 years ago, the London Underground car cards (cantrail sort of level inside each car) included an imaginative campaign by a firm of tubing manufacturers. This consisted of paired names, which were not theirs, as in "It's not Shackles & Wedlock", but there were several others.  They were really called Accles and Pollock.

• Like 2