Styal Line trials in the 1960's

paulbb

Where the newly delivered Class 81 electrics and production Deltic class 55s involved in high speed testing on this line between Slade Lane Junction in Manchester and Crewe via the Styal Line around 1961-3?  This route was a sleepy LMR route (though used by the Mancunian express so it did not need to stop at Stockport as all the other London expresses did) until it was used as a test bed for the then new 25KV ac traction being developed at the time. Many electric EMU's were tested along here prior to the main route being available for electrics. It was rumoured that the 55's and 81's were coupled together and involved in testing overnight at very high speeds -100mph plus. One of the early class 44 Peaks was allegedly involved in these same  speed trials too. Can anyone shine any light on these matters?

It is quite possible that any very high speed trials were conducted in secret. Certainly those using a 4-REP unit on the Southern later the same decade were, with what were in effect "Grove" procedures being utilised to ensure that only those directly involved knew what was happening.

Classes AL1 - AL5 used the Styal line for commissioning tests  in that period, working out of Longsight. I don't think the line was suitable for  particularly high speed testing and I never heard of Deltics being involved. I had a couple of weeks at Longsight as a vacation student from Uni and went out on a few test runs but nothing particularly fast. One was trying to get the ammeters up to the redline and our test train wasn't heavy enough so we were using the handbrake to increase the load, had to stop when the smoke and smell coming through the cab floor suggested the brakes were about to catch fire.

• Like 5
  • Funny 3

I'd doubt it was used for any 'secret' tests - it runs through suburbs of Manchester on an embankment and at the time was probably mainly jointed track and certainly not designed for any high speed trains.

Beyond Wilmslow you soon get to the salt mines and their fixed speed restrictions.

So all in all, not a route to do serious high speed testing of any real distance.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The Styal Line and Colchester to Clacton/Walton were the test beds for the equipment, principles and techniques to be used in the AC electrification schemes on the WCML, around Glasgow and out of Liverpool St and Fenchurch St.  Nothing to do with high speed.

A high proportion of "secret" high speed testing stories are nonsense.  And I can tell you what the results of the alleged REP at 120mph tests were - 8 trashed motors needing complete rebuilds (see also Class 60 at 100mph).   

Edited by DY444
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Most of the tests were to do with the overhead. It used to be a standing joke about how easy it was to bring it down!

Never saw a Deltic in Manchester and anyway the production ones were too late for Styal line testing.

Why would you put  DE on a line to test the overhead? Doesn't make sense to me.

I agree with others about the suitability of the Styal loop for high speed running. From personal experience the passenger would get jogged about even on a dmu suburban service. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One little known, and hardly relevant, fact about the Styal Loop is that it was (according to its original ohle construction spec) the only section of 25kv overhead on BR which could accept a pantograph set to SNCF uplift forces.

Don;t forget two that the original trial running, and druver g handling familiarisation,  on the Styal loop was carried out using E2001 until sich tme as the various production series ALs began to arrive.

• Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

I'm pretty sure that one of the RTC's Class 17 'Claytons' (8598) powered test trains that measured the OHLE on the Styal line in some way, during 1972.  

More relevant information here:  https://features.rcts.org.uk/diesel-dilemmas/rtc-main-line-locomotives-1968-1978/d8598/

Weren't those tests for an early in cab signalling system?

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

One little known, and hardly relevant, fact about the Styal Loop is that it was (according to its original ohle construction spec) the only section of 25kv overhead on BR which could accept a pantograph set to SNCF uplift forces.

Don;t forget two that the original trial running, and druver g handling familiarisation,  on the Styal loop was carried out using E2001 until sich tme as the various production series ALs began to arrive.

Was that the only line it ever ran on? Surprised they didn't test it on the Clacton branch 

Many thanks for the above; seems like although there were several tests on the Styal Line, the high speed ones where gricer folklore- like the strategic steam reserve fantasy of the 1970s (?). It always struck me as strange though, to test the efficacy of a system -the 25kv ac - that had already been 'proved' by SNCF engineers.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

There's one of it running through Mauldeth Rd in Railways In And Around The Manchester Suburbs by E.M. johnson

Were there any reports of it actually working a passenger train or was it purely a training loco?