Thinking of getting a rolling road - suggestions?

• RMweb Premium

A new Hornby one is a bit much but I don't see an alternative other than Ebay. I would say that it's expensive for what it is, but that's most of model railwaying.

Most of my locos are DC (with the intention of DCC in the future). I've read that there is a DCC rolling road but I forget who offers it.

Edited by OnTheBranchline

DC / DCC is only relevant if the rolling road has a power supply included, like the Gaugemaster one. I believe this is a discontinued product, but is worthwhile if you don't already have a DC controller available & also want a dedicated rolling road. It also comes with an ammeter, which can be useful.

The Hornby one needs an external power supply, so this can be DC or DCC; whatever you want to supply it.

The Bachmann looks similar to DCC concepts: a set of roller blocks which are placed on the track & draw power through it. Again, these are whatever you supply, so you can pop them on a spare siding then pack away after use.

I have a Bachrus version, ideal if you fancy working in more than one gauge.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234467928163?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=CjwKCAiA_vKeBhAdEiwAFb_nrVy3Z0npyJTuaj9VAnkryDGm5Y9wGh2fTeT7KWOua8CI2MtXNtxfYhoCzaIQAvD_BwE

For OO models, the old H&M version is OK, but a challenge to find.

http://philsworkbench.blogspot.com/2018/02/h-loco-tester.html

I built the N Brass version, but now use the other two in preference.

https://www.nbrasslocos.co.uk/road.html

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OnTheBranchline said:

I would say that it's expensive for what it is, but that's most of model railwaying.

To be fair, no-one is selling millions of these, and once you have one you are happy with, you don't buy another. You don't, I did, but then I'm weird.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

I have a Bachrus version, ideal if you fancy working in more than one gauge.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234467928163?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=CjwKCAiA_vKeBhAdEiwAFb_nrVy3Z0npyJTuaj9VAnkryDGm5Y9wGh2fTeT7KWOua8CI2MtXNtxfYhoCzaIQAvD_BwE

For OO models, the old H&M version is OK, but a challenge to find.

I built the N Brass version, but now use the other two in preference.

https://www.nbrasslocos.co.uk/road.html

Bachrus rollers unfortunately are no longer available, but well worth getting if you see them secondhand.

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, ikcdab said:

I agree, but I often struggle with them falling over, so I have now purchased an old H&M rolling road from eBay (they take a while to come up) as the DCC individual units fit in the slot nicely, and I don't need to use the rollers for the tender if they are fixed to the loco.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Bachmann distribute rolling roads made by Proses.

These also come with wheel cleaners

They do versions for…

0 gauge (both 2 and 3 rail)

H0/00  (both 2 and 3 rail)

A bit pricey, but sometimes there are good discounts to be had.

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/category/465/rolling-road-stand-(500mm)-ho-oo-w-drive-wheel-cleaners/prr-ho-01

image.jpeg.597e23c9d8a78e479db0bdd466c96172.jpeg

image.png.db9c20e205436c532cb49e0ba1429af2.png

image.jpeg.ee75850ab2e188f9ed0beccc40631f8b.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi all,

I have the Hornby rolling road with 2 extra sets of rollers. Never had a problem with it. My wife bought mine for £49.99 early last year shop soiled for my birthday. It had been a display item and the box was a bit tatty. Looking at the prices now I think I got a real bargain. But they all look rather expensive to me. Must admit I do like the modular look of the Bachmann one.

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 1

On 03/02/2023 at 05:46, pH said:

Since you’re in North America, I would suggest looking at these:

https://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2538

They work with DC; I don’t know about DCC.

On 03/02/2023 at 08:03, ikcdab said:

I have the DCC Concepts version of this rolling road.

It doesn't see much use but when I need it, it's REALLY useful so I paid the £40ish a good few years back now.

Works with DCC.
Can fully recommend this type for flexibility.

I did look at the Hornby one but then realised it wouldn't work if I had different pickups in different places on one loco.

• Agree 1

On 03/02/2023 at 03:51, OnTheBranchline said:

A new Hornby one is a bit much but I don't see an alternative other than Ebay. I would say that it's expensive for what it is, but that's most of model railwaying.

Most of my locos are DC (with the intention of DCC in the future). I've read that there is a DCC rolling road but I forget who offers it.

The one I bought is shown below:

IMG_20211111_173618_resize.jpg.77fd6727142e7fe2af01b43778f28737.jpg

It came off AliExpress for ~£36 2-years ago. Cheap-n-cheerful and does everything I need. The Seller was "Golden Model&Toy Store".

It looks remarkably like the Zollertech / TenCommandments one pictured by @phixer64 earlier.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 02/02/2023 at 21:46, pH said:

Since you’re in North America, I would suggest looking at these:

https://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2538

They work with DC; I don’t know about DCC.

(Available for less than the direct-from-Bachmann price on EBay.)

I'm also in the USA and bought these, they work well. Note that there are two versions, with and without roller bearings. The ones without are for supporting non-driving wheels.

Hornby: Great for Tank engines and small-medium steam tender locomotives. Can't do Diesels with multiple powered bogies, or larger/articulated steam locomotives. Can use with both DC and DCC. Good for display/photographs/videos.

Bachmann/Proses: Larger and more flexible than the Hornby at a higher cost. Works with larger locomotives Hornby is too small for. Wheel cleaners are a nice feature. Works with both DC and DCC.

DCC Concepts: Very flexible in that you place it on your own track, you test your locos on the track they will run on. They're also flexible in how you place them so you can get only a few axles for smaller locos or many axles for larger locos. Runs on your track so works with both DC and DCC. 

Gaugemaster: Complete unit, power supply and rollers in one unit. Has an ammeter which is very useful in servicing. EXTREMELY photogenic, the rolling road itself is a gorgeous piece. Can be used as a DC power supply for track. However this rolling road has multiple critical faults: It's only available secondhand, it operates on DC only inherent in its design, and only comes with a UK plug.

If there's an alternative power cable or version for North America/Japan plug that works with the gaugemaster rolling road I would like to know. As a service technician I would love to have one for my bench.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GernBlanstonShow said:

Hornby: Great for Tank engines and small-medium steam tender locomotives. Can't do Diesels with multiple powered bogies, or larger/articulated steam locomotives. Can use with both DC and DCC. Good for display/photographs/videos.

Bachmann/Proses: Larger and more flexible than the Hornby at a higher cost. Works with larger locomotives Hornby is too small for. Wheel cleaners are a nice feature. Works with both DC and DCC.

DCC Concepts: Very flexible in that you place it on your own track, you test your locos on the track they will run on. They're also flexible in how you place them so you can get only a few axles for smaller locos or many axles for larger locos. Runs on your track so works with both DC and DCC. 

Gaugemaster: Complete unit, power supply and rollers in one unit. Has an ammeter which is very useful in servicing. EXTREMELY photogenic, the rolling road itself is a gorgeous piece. Can be used as a DC power supply for track. However this rolling road has multiple critical faults: It's only available secondhand, it operates on DC only inherent in its design, and only comes with a UK plug.

If there's an alternative power cable or version for North America/Japan plug that works with the gaugemaster rolling road I would like to know. As a service technician I would love to have one for my bench.

I suppose for the Gaugemaster one it's less about the plug and more that it runs on 240V while the US system is 110V, so you would have to strip out the transformer and replace it?

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

There's a 40% off  "Flash Sale" on at Rails of Sheffield....Today only.....

DCC CONCEPTS DCM-RRN.10 ROLLING ROAD N & TT GAUGE PREMIUM EDITION – 10 AXLE. =  £59.95

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/dcc-concepts-dcm-rrn-10-rolling-road-n-gauge-premium-edition-10-axle?utm_source=Klaviyo&utm_medium=campaign&_kx=RmoK_J0LXwQuyo5UDsKNyzeYX4sJ1G8KTA3ffy30XyU%3D.RXkVMS

• RMweb Gold
On 11/02/2023 at 18:49, ISW said:

The one I bought is shown below:

IMG_20211111_173618_resize.jpg.77fd6727142e7fe2af01b43778f28737.jpg

It came off AliExpress for ~£36 2-years ago. Cheap-n-cheerful and does everything I need. The Seller was "Golden Model&Toy Store".

It looks remarkably like the Zollertech / TenCommandments one pictured by @phixer64 earlier.

Ian

ive been looking at the rolling roads on ali express but was a bit unsure about getting one as you never quite know what’s going to turn up, or if it will indeed turn up, but having seen the pic of yours I’ve given it a try.

£26 delivered so worth a punt, got it from the weirdly named ‘Release Pressure Funny Life Store’ which made me think of the simpsons episode where they appear on a Japanese game show called “Happy Smile Super Challenge Family Wish Show” 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chap in Burnley* makes the rolling road cradles and sells them on eBay and you can buy in multiples of however many you want - I got four of them a while back, and they work well (especially now I have given them a tweak as suggested recently in another thread). Planning on using them in a scenic setting in a micro I am (slowly) building.

Steve S

* Direct Train Spares of Burnley - no connection, just a happy customer

Edited by SteveyDee68
Copied across the web link!