RMweb

What controller should I be using?

Hi all, I've been having trouble with my OO layout, as discussed in a different thread, and I've managed to narrow down the cause of the problem to being the generic Hornby train set controller that I'm using, for reference the problem was that locomotives were slowing down quite massively on curves, as such I'm trying to find a controller that I can use to replace it, I've been thinking of using the HM2000 but thought i'd ask for some professional advice before making a purchase, thanks!

You can't go wrong with one of these IME

Single Track Controller with Plug in Transformer-Gaugemaster-GMC-COMBI | Gaugemaster (gaugemasterretail.com)

Not cheap cheap, but available from most model shops.  The Bachmann trainset controllers are a bit better than the Hornby ones if you can find them for sale.  A bit though...

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, frobisher said:

You can't go wrong with one of these IME

Single Track Controller with Plug in Transformer-Gaugemaster-GMC-COMBI | Gaugemaster (gaugemasterretail.com)

Not cheap cheap, but available from most model shops.  The Bachmann trainset controllers are a bit better than the Hornby ones if you can find them for sale.  A bit though...

I've got one of these, and it runs a Hattons O gauge A4 on rolling road with no issues. Plenty of oomph! for OO gauge.

I'd check out Morley Controllers. Was having problems with my Gaugemaster Combi with older Triang/Hornby/Ks motors, not enough umpph. The Vector 3 Crawler has loads of umpph, 2 controllers, DC and AC ports, plus CDU and 2 wired remote controllers for less than £100. V happy...

2 hours ago, MR Chuffer said:

I'd check out Morley Controllers. Was having problems with my Gaugemaster Combi with older Triang/Hornby/Ks motors, not enough umpph. The Vector 3 Crawler has loads of umpph, 2 controllers, DC and AC ports, plus CDU and 2 wired remote controllers for less than £100. V happy...

Another very happy Morley user.  They run everything from Hornby Dublo pre Ring Field through Triang and Bachmann to Coreless motors with no probs.  They can provide down below 1 volt off load, Resistance controllers deliver about 21 volts off load.  They are excellent for double heading dissimilar locos.  They also have an excellent plug in hand held control which can be extended, mine is well over 30 feet long!.    They are a bit weird in that they don't have a dead insulated/isolated off position in the way resistance controllers do.  They really need an on off switch between controller and the track if you are using more than one controller

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Ruston65 said:

Thanks a lot, by any chance is there a double track variant? I should've said but my layout is for 2 tracks, not 1, apologies for not specifying!

Yes there is a twin track model maybe called D or DS . I have a Gaugemaster Controller for 25 years and they are very good . Operates with everything from Tri-ang through Wrenn , Power hungry Heljan to the latest Dapol Hornby and Bachmann

You wont go wrong with Gaugemaster . However I am also going to give Morley a look for next Controller as I've heard good things about them (You Tube - Oscar Paisley channel). They also seem to have a hand held option 

• RMweb Gold

My setup is a GM power controller which runs the main line and a HH for the colliery, which cannot be reached from the operator's seat and it is useful to have it in my hand while I am shunting over there.  If the mark of a good controller is that one sets up a sort of connection between one's brain and the loco, using the controller only semi-conciously and not really being aware that it exists, then GM ticks this box!  I also use a Hornby HM6000 smartphone controller, which has the advantage of being untethered, but has a lot of bells and whistles that I consider a bit gimmicky, and is anything but 'semi-concious'.  GM will also replace any faulty controller free of charge, lifetime guarantee.

I have never used a Morley and know nothing about them apart from that their reputation is very good.  They are more expensive than GM and certainly look rather nice, GMs having a something of a 70s 'Practical Electronics' project with bits from Tandy look to them, which the performance belies!  A minor criticism of the power controller (over 40 years old and never missed a beat) is that it is not heavy enough to sit in it's place without being pulled around by the HH's lead or moved a bit by my using it at an arm's stretch.; it is held down with Gaffer.  My old H&M Powermaster would have not moved in a thermonuclear blast, and I loved the hammered grey steel casing and general 'proper British engineering, lad, men's work' 60s vibe; you'd call it retro now and even in the 60s it was head and shoulders above the cheap plastic Triang controllers.

Edited by The Johnster

On 14/02/2023 at 01:28, DCB said:

Another very happy Morley user.  They run everything from Hornby Dublo pre Ring Field through Triang and Bachmann to Coreless motors with no probs.  They can provide down below 1 volt off load, Resistance controllers deliver about 21 volts off load.  They are excellent for double heading dissimilar locos.  They also have an excellent plug in hand held control which can be extended, mine is well over 30 feet long!.    They are a bit weird in that they don't have a dead insulated/isolated off position in the way resistance controllers do.  They really need an on off switch between controller and the track if you are using more than one controller

But no on and off switch should be needed for a single double track controller? Just making sure

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looking to purchase the Crawler 3  to replace my  GM Feedback do these perform as well

without any motor buzz,  i do like running locos slow without any jerkiness or

sudden starts, the GM is perfect in this but has the usual feedback buzz from the motors.

My Gaugemasters are pretty good but for slow running and  smooth stopping/ starting my elderly Orbit Supertroller is, in my opinion unsurpassed, despite its age . Beats the Gaugemasters, good as they are.

• Like 1

I have used Orbits since they first appeared  and find them way ahead of other controllers, but they have vanished from the scene after Leon, the owner died. They do pop up on ebay now and then, usually for a song. I also reinstated my old H&M 3000 in a comparative test against a Morley  a few years ago, and TBH, it gives even better control than the Orbits for crawl control, although they don't like coreless motors, so now have the two types back in use, switching between them as required.

• Like 1