Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Cavalex - New Class 60

AY Mod

2 hours ago, darrel said:

Thanks. The driver would normally put the master switch into neutral when the train stopped. So my thought would be the headlight would go out automatically when the train stopped on the model. 

Could that be the kind of thing mis-interpreted as a 'fault' with the model .... 'the headlight was on now its gone off, must be faulty'

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

My vote is for the headlight to turn off when the loco stops as this is prototypical.

A function could be used for those who didn’t like this ‘feature’.

This would have to be well explained in the accompanying guide in order to stop anyone complaining.

Andrew

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, mevaman1 said:

My vote is for the headlight to turn off when the loco stops as this is prototypical.

A function could be used for those who didn’t like this ‘feature’.

This would have to be well explained in the accompanying guide in order to stop anyone complaining.

Andrew

It's not prototypical though is it? As the driver has to manually turn the master switch off for it to go out. It's not a case of if the loco stops it goes out. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 29/04/2024 at 12:13, RBE said:

We are looking in how to best represent this. It's not a case of the light going off every time the loco stops but only when the master switch is put in neutral. In effect on the model it would just be a function button that turns the headlight on and off. The loco has day, night, yard and stabling modes on functions anyway so do we have it go out automatically whenever you stop or just have a manual headlight function button labelled master switch? Thoughts?

My though is have it on an on/off function as maybe a driver may not put the loco into neutral when stopped. Also do the new BIMAC headlights do this?

30 minutes ago, RBE said:

It's not prototypical though is it? As the driver has to manually turn the master switch off for it to go out. It's not a case of if the loco stops it goes out. 

Unless doing intensive shunting (so should have markers only switched on but becoming less used by crew) as soon as loco stops for a 'pause' be it in yard / shed/ loop the direction selector is placed to EO engine only or as some call it neutral ! This activates the second feature! The auto recline! Seat back feet up! Then this instantly activates function key 101 brew in hand 😄

G

• Funny 2

Having the headlight switch off automatically when the loco stops would be the reerse of the usual setup for cab lights, where they can be set on when stopped and automatically go out when the loco starts moving - these are also able to be set directionally. For those locos of other brands, and the Cavalex class 56, this is the cab light setup I prefer. Many of the newer locos have this already, but older locomotives with ESU LokSound or LokPilot 4 and 5 decoders have the ability to have this programmed in, as long as the loco wiring has the two ends wired correctly.

The older locos with cab lights on the one circuit for both ends cannot be done this way.

Coming back to the Cavalex 60, there's no reason the headlights could not be set up to automatically go off when stopped, if that's so desired. It would also be easily reprogrammed to not do this if so desired. Having said all that, I would prefer the headlights to simply be on a function where I would have control of whether they are on or off.

19 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Unless doing intensive shunting (so should have markers only switched on but becoming less used by crew) as soon as loco stops for a 'pause' be it in yard / shed/ loop the direction selector is placed to EO engine only or as some call it neutral ! This activates the second feature! The auto recline! Seat back feet up! Then this instantly activates function key 101 brew in hand 😄

G

That's useful, so do you think that the light working automatically, without the driver pressing a function, is the way to go?

7 minutes ago, SRman said:

Having the headlight switch off automatically when the loco stops would be the reerse of the usual setup for cab lights, where they can be set on when stopped and automatically go out when the loco starts moving - these are also able to be set directionally. For those locos of other brands, and the Cavalex class 56, this is the cab light setup I prefer. Many of the newer locos have this already, but older locomotives with ESU LokSound or LokPilot 4 and 5 decoders have the ability to have this programmed in, as long as the loco wiring has the two ends wired correctly.

The older locos with cab lights on the one circuit for both ends cannot be done this way.

Coming back to the Cavalex 60, there's no reason the headlights could not be set up to automatically go off when stopped, if that's so desired. It would also be easily reprogrammed to not do this if so desired. Having said all that, I would prefer the headlights to simply be on a function where I would have control of whether they are on or off.

Yeah your auto cab light thing is very odd, that implies that the driver turns his cab light on every time he stops his loco, which he doesn't. Hell with my modellers hat on rather than company one, I personally would be happy with no cab light at all as it's not that often turned on and then only at night.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

2 hours ago, RBE said:

Maybe having a function (placed high up F15+) that you can turn on and latches as to do it every time so that moments after the train stops the headlight turns off, maybe a delay of around 2 seconds for realism? This way people can access it if they want?

And if they (people) stop momentarily by accident or for shunting realism then it doesn’t go off but if they then do sit static for longer it would show the driver changing the direction selector to neutral/engine only.

2 hours ago, RBE said:

Yeah your auto cab light thing is very odd, that implies that the driver turns his cab light on every time he stops his loco, which he doesn't. Hell with my modellers hat on rather than company one, I personally would be happy with no cab light at all as it's not that often turned on and then only at night.

It can also be left off - most of mine are remapped to F21 as it saves me having to look up cheat sheets every time I want to switch on a cab light. I leave them off most of the time. To be fair, the thinking behind it was probably to ensure the cab lights were off when the locomotive was running, rather than switching them on every time it stops - I didn't invent the settings. 🙂

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, RBE said:

with my modellers hat on rather than company one, I personally would be happy with no cab light at all as it's not that often turned on and then only at night.

I second that. At least in my current strictly analogue* model fleet, the only lighting I'm remotely interested in are white headlights (or markers? not sure on the correct terminology) at the front of a diesel/electric loco/unit and red tail lights at the back**. Any interior lighting would be hugely out of place alongside the vast majority of my fleet (which doesn't have them) and I would look to turn them (the interior lights) off or remove them on anything I acquire which happens to have them.

* Dapol's announcement of a 48xx/14xx with a coreless motor (and the deteriorating state of my current analogue Hornby controllers, which I believe are incompatible with coreless) may force me to reconsider this if I'm still here in a year or two, but I'm still unlikely to be interested in modelling night-time operations with interior lights switches on

** even these I'm not sure about, since with most types (such as Sprinter DMUs) these lights should stay on when the train stops and of course, on an analogue layout, this doesn't happen.

Edited by Rhydgaled

2 hours ago, SRman said:

I would prefer the headlights to simply be on a function where I would have control of whether they are on or off.

Me too. Then the engine or other feature sounds can be played with without interfering with the headlight.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, RBE said:

That's useful, so do you think that the light working automatically, without the driver pressing a function, is the way to go?

Yep...for realistic operation then switchable to markers only for none mainline running, only as that is how the original lighting was setup!

BUT when does head light come back on? Speed step 001? On dcc ....or when voltage applied to dc? Some would say retro step back to one grain of wheat bulb illuminating a light bar! As you can tell firmly sat on fence.....thanks to BR's crazy original set up you have a difficult call to make!

May be a prototypical operation one to many as you will have hundreds of returns as you know modelers can't read instruction manual! 😃

Think I've just texted my self to 75% leave them on all the time switchable to markers only with function key!

Your trains your call....some modelers will moan regardless😁 

G

• Like 3

Its the same with 92’s.  Think its a bit of a unique feature to these two.
When you come to a stand, you take the loco out of direction into ‘on’ (engine only on a diesel) and the main headlamp (wether day or night) goes out.

99.9% of the time if stationary you dont sit there with the loco set to forward/reverse, its a bad habit and the DSD would do your nut in if so - so it would be good to incorporate it.

You could have the headlight function set to driving only,  then use the ‘function time out’ setting to give you say a 5s delay when you come to a stand before it switches the headlight off.

the only drawback is if you are just flicking the lights on/off youd have the time out delay regardless of what you are doing, but thats pretty minor.

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, on checking the pre order page for the 60 on Rails Of Sheffield I noticed 60062 in its DB Steel on Steel livery has now gone. I knew the price was still TBA but has this livery now been pulled completely please?

34 minutes ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

Well outside my period 😎

Well outside my period 😇

Well outside my period 🫣

Resistance is futile!

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

On making tracks layout,few pictures off Facebook....

438145262_924540939469891_68617463114171

441035085_924549572802361_15302679012434441064113_924549532802365_64890180725517

That's the one I fell for 🙄

• Funny 1