Cavalex - New Class 60

AY Mod

13 minutes ago, RBE said:

We are very much looking forward to attending Model World Live and excited to show the latest painted samples of our forthcoming Class 60.
If you are attending the show, this weekend please visit our stand, A30, for the latest updates on all of our projects and chat about model railways and modelling.

WhatsAppImage2024-04-26at06_46.13_9dc4775e.jpg.5b43ec7ef8e543ae6a09e2f928cafea4.jpg

Regards

Cav

Stunning! Well done Cav and Alex!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

As slow as that? I thought MGR discharge was at 4mph. Every day a learning day. 

Roy

👀 need a decimal point first coal would be out side the shed not on conveyer belt to be stored or burnt...! Think a few Garston drivers tried faster at fiddlers Ferry but took longer to set back and start again! 

Did manage a distcharge with out stopping and without setting back! No one back at depot believed me...the model class cab is bloody amazing

• Like 1

On 25/04/2024 at 11:23, RBE said:

We’re looking forward to attending Model World Live this coming weekend at the NEC - if you’re attending visit stand A30 to see the latest updates on our Class 60 project!

Regards

Cav

Cab Interior.jpg

Looks like the hot plate will rattle uncontrollably at a round ¼ power setting.....just like the real thing! The dials and other cab details ...wow!

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Did manage a distcharge with out stopping and without setting back!

I’ve only managed to do that a couple of times in ratcliffe! 

I wasn’t going to order a class 60 as I’m happy with my Hornby ones but having since received the class 56 and seeing the likes of the cab interior I think I may well succumb to a GB one! 

• Like 3

I will be ordering 1 or 2 Cavalex Class 60s. I feel somewhat vindicated. I suggested a year or so that Accurscale do a Class 66. Received a bit of flak with people saying the Hornby offering was good enough. Well I am delighted Cavalex felt otherwise.

IMG_8591.jpeg.34fb781ea209921a5e0be6d2d842e144.jpeg

All set up and ready to go on stand A30 for Day 1 of Model World Live at the NEC - visit our stand for a look at the latest painted Class 60 samples, including these two modern examples in GBRF/DC Rail Freight liveries! 

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

56 minutes ago, nickb4141 said:

Have Cavalex announced anything beyond the class 60 in the pipeline? 
(Class 60’s look amazing B.T.W)

Nothing further at this stage, concentrating on getting the 60 out alongside our various wagon projects and Class 56 second run next year.

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Southwich said:

Nothing further at this stage, concentrating on getting the 60 out alongside our various wagon projects and Class 56 second run next year.

Kind regards,

Will

The DC Rail one doesn't appear in the original run ?

IMG_8597.jpeg.cc5a11d42e9ab24cef5ad193e77f8e1e.jpeg

Ready for day two of Model World Live with the latest painted samples of our forthcoming Class 60, including a uniquely modelled 60001! Visit our stand, A30, for the latest updates on all of our projects and see the samples firsthand.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

These are looking absolutely superb! Having seen them with my own eyes Saturday gave me no doubts whatsoever about the 5 I currently have on preorder. Just one thing I’d like to ask is that when I saw DC Grey 60029 running on the railnuts layout, the colour temperature of the lights seemed to have a “warm” glow to them and I’m just wondering whether this will be changed to a more prototypical “pure white” colour for production models as these newer style light clusters that 60028 & 60029 have are LED’s.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I managed to stop by on Sunday at the Model World Live show and was given an opportunity to handle the 60, on open display. The model is absolutely wonderful and is so more refined over the Hornby 60. Can't wait until the start of 2025 so we can get these new 60's on our layout and pulling long rakes of wagons. Well done Cav and Alex on a superb model.

Maybe this has been asked previously apologies if it has. On the real thing the headlight turns off when the driver puts the master switch into the neutral position. It turns on again when the driver selects forward. Will the model replicate this? 

The photos look amazing very impressed with the cab took me back to the days when I worked on class 60s as a trainman. 

1 hour ago, darrel said:

Maybe this has been asked previously apologies if it has. On the real thing the headlight turns off when the driver puts the master switch into the neutral position. It turns on again when the driver selects forward. Will the model replicate this? 

The photos look amazing very impressed with the cab took me back to the days when I worked on class 60s as a trainman. 

We are looking in how to best represent this. It's not a case of the light going off every time the loco stops but only when the master switch is put in neutral. In effect on the model it would just be a function button that turns the headlight on and off. The loco has day, night, yard and stabling modes on functions anyway so do we have it go out automatically whenever you stop or just have a manual headlight function button labelled master switch? Thoughts?

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, RBE said:

We are looking in how to best represent this. It's not a case of the light going off every time the loco stops but only when the master switch is put in neutral. In effect on the model it would just be a function button that turns the headlight on and off. The loco has day, night, yard and stabling modes on functions anyway so do we have it go out automatically whenever you stop or just have a manual headlight function button labelled master switch? Thoughts?

Thanks. The driver would normally put the master switch into neutral when the train stopped. So my thought would be the headlight would go out automatically when the train stopped on the model. 

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, darrel said:

Thanks. The driver would normally put the master switch into neutral when the train stopped. So my thought would be the headlight would go out automatically when the train stopped on the model. 

The set up always annoyed me when driving 60s when you stopped in a loop as soon as you come to a halt and place direction selector to EO head light goes out and the 3w! bulb is all that is illuminated the markers where very poor light if running in day mode and drivers side marker had blown

when you stop no illumination at front!

(Don't scream at me to look at FIP above side window but loop time is feet up and rest eyes time) very often I use to switch over to markers only only to not put head light on on departure...🙈

Are the new light cluster variety the same set up?

Head lights in yards and loops look better off

1 hour ago, RBE said:

do we have it go out automatically whenever you stop or just have a manual headlight function button labelled master switch? Thoughts?

assuming it’s the decoder doing this internally using the existing lighting connections rather than it being wired to an additional AUX output? If so then maybe have it automatic by default, but with a manual override on a higher function number for those who want it? Not sure how possible that would be with the amount of functions in sound models, but would then give the best of both worlds

48 minutes ago, Bryn_Bach_Railway said:

assuming it’s the decoder doing this internally using the existing lighting connections rather than it being wired to an additional AUX output? If so then maybe have it automatic by default, but with a manual override on a higher function number for those who want it? Not sure how possible that would be with the amount of functions in sound models, but would then give the best of both worlds

The lighting has to be on additional Aux connections or else you cannot work them independently.

Edited by RBE

1 minute ago, RBE said:

The lighting has to be on additional Aux connections or else you cannot work them independently.

I understand the headlight being on its own AUX connection, that’s not what I meant. I was more referring to the automation of the light being turned on and off when the loco is stationary being done by the decoder and a specific function map, rather than some complicated circuits on the main PCB. Apologies I could’ve worded that better.

1 minute ago, Bryn_Bach_Railway said:

I understand the headlight being on its own AUX connection, that’s not what I meant. I was more referring to the automation of the light being turned on and off when the loco is stationary being done by the decoder and a specific function map, rather than some complicated circuits on the main PCB. Apologies I could’ve worded that better.

No that would be done in software on the decoder if we implement that.