Märklin announces Flying Scotsman in H0

sncf231e

4 hours ago, HSB said:

From those pictures appears to be 00 rather than H0!

Fred, If you right click and use google translate (or the drop down menu on a tablet) you can translate to English. Thilo gives a good explanation of which locos he is using to illustrate the relative differences between OO and HO and their merits when next to the coaches. 

5 hours ago, ellocoloco said:

Fred, If you right click and use google translate (or the drop down menu on a tablet) you can translate to English. Thilo gives a good explanation of which locos he is using to illustrate the relative differences between OO and HO and their merits when next to the coaches. 

I think you reaction was for Howard. Being Dutch I do not need Google translate to translate German.

Gruss

Fred

• Thanks 1

It really looks a bit 'off'. I was expecting given the almost 20 years that have elapsed between the fundamental design of the Hornby model and this HO equivalent, that the later model would have finesse of the 2020s, but between the shape of the cab (too stubby?), chimney (too tall?), the pivoting pony, and infill at the bottom of the boiler, the Hornby model is still the better one running on 16mm track!

the HO valve gear is nice though, especially the return crank fixing

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

It really looks a bit 'off'. I was expecting given the almost 20 years that have elapsed between the fundamental design of the Hornby model and this HO equivalent, that the later model would have finesse of the 2020s, but between the shape of the cab (too stubby?), chimney (too tall?), the pivoting pony, and infill at the bottom of the boiler, the Hornby model is still the better one running on 16mm track!

Being a collector I am prepared to accept it is far from perfect, all have their shortcomings but the drive mechanism of the Trix is superb. I was expecting it to be heavier than it turned out. The main issue for me is the chimney is a little too tall but I can live with that.

• Agree 2

47 minutes ago, Bigskybirds said:

I will try to do a short video tomorrow with some Hornby Pullman or LNER teaks.

That would be perfect, many thanks.  Thinking of getting the Trix Scotsman but only have OO coaches so not sure how it would look and don’t really want to buy any other coaches as already have Hornby Pullman and LNER teaks.

1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

I think it's the Hornby that is a bit out.  P4 scale track gauge of 18.83 mm would sort it out. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 669cpb said:

That would be perfect, many thanks.  Thinking of getting the Trix Scotsman but only have OO coaches so not sure how it would look and don’t really want to buy any other coaches as already have Hornby Pullman and LNER teaks.

Not a good look, like a car pulling a caravan.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, paulbb said:

Looks dreadful; clunky wheels , dodgy chimney, odd shade of green, and undersized cab numerals. A rich collectors delight though, maybe like the Marklin warship of the 70s (?) , afflicted by similar problems

I am not that rich!

16 hours ago, paulbb said:

Looks dreadful; clunky wheels , dodgy chimney, odd shade of green, and undersized cab numerals. A rich collectors delight though, maybe like the Marklin warship of the 70s (?) , afflicted by similar problems

It's just regular Marklin-Trix pricing for a medium large steam loco not a collectors piece as such. 445 euros is the cheapest dealer price I've seen.

The equivalent would be the metal bodied Hornby Dublo but that doesn't appear to have a metal tender or metal driving wheel spokes.

How much would the current Dublo be with lights, smoke and sound?

Edited by maico
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Prices really need to be compared on a like-like basis, either SRP-SRP or typical selling price. Although, Hornby Dublo models don't seem to be discounted that much as they don't need to be to sell. 

On 16/11/2023 at 09:48, jjb1970 said:

Prices really need to be compared on a like-like basis, either SRP-SRP or typical selling price. Although, Hornby Dublo models don't seem to be discounted that much as they don't need to be to sell. 

The RRP on the Trix website is 589 euro (£515) although it sold out on pre-order at the factory some time back as did the Marklin version.

https://www.trix.de/de/produkte/details/article/22886

Some Dublo models have been discounted on eBay by dealers the A3 being one of them. The Scotsman market must be saturated by now!

Edited by maico
  • Informative/Useful 1

Picked up mine yesterday. What a model. It looks and runs superbly and is up there with Roco 310.23 in terms of finish. Alongside my repainted ESU 66, these two are a couple of diecast beasts. As these were sold out relatively quickly on the Mrklin/Trix webshop, my fingers are crossed that British HO has been good enough for them to offer something else!

PB230023.JPG.034ebcea7aea629279d287fcecf9ea54.JPG

PB230024.JPG.a0196dd43f5d5260d3f6fa3cd4d93aa5.JPG

My pictures do not do either of them justice.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

On 23/11/2023 at 11:44, ellocoloco said:

Picked up mine yesterday. What a model. It looks and runs superbly and is up there with Roco 310.23 in terms of finish. Alongside my repainted ESU 66, these two are a couple of diecast beasts. As these were sold out relatively quickly on the Mrklin/Trix webshop, my fingers are crossed that British HO has been good enough for them to offer something else!

PB230023.JPG.034ebcea7aea629279d287fcecf9ea54.JPG

PB230024.JPG.a0196dd43f5d5260d3f6fa3cd4d93aa5.JPG

My pictures do not do either of them justice.

It’s this kind of post that ruins RMweb’s reputation, with someone ACTUALLY liking a model and enjoying it for what it is, not slagging it off for minor imperfections. I’m sure it will run superbly, the reason I switched to continental  HO all those years ago. I’ll park mine  next to  my Trix  Big Boy and giggle with wonder at being able to finally truly compare the difference in size between them. And I’ll run it with a nice rake of Orient  Express coaches from Rivarossi. Enjoy!

• Like 5
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, tonkatoy said:

Enjoy!

Thank you.

Enjoyment is what its all about. I too went to Continental HO many years ago once I could buy my own trains rather than waiting for Christmas or Birthdays. The difference was unbelievable at the time. Once I found out OO and HO weren't actually the same the die was cast. Unless any suitable coaches come out RTR, my Scottie will take my Rhinegold set although I do have two Sachsenmodelle Eastern European sleeper sets which are almost a matching shade of green!

I have a side interest in British HO with three repainted 66s. My main interest is Spanish HO but lets not talk about the (broad) gauge!

My Scottie can make itself useful with some Cargowaggons in the meantime.

PB230026.JPG.b42569413b124120fe4c8b7e8806e78c.JPG

• Like 1
  • Agree 2