Märklin announces Flying Scotsman in H0

sncf231e

On 22/03/2023 at 15:40, maico said:

I don't think there is any way for the UK buyer to get one of these for less than £500 😿

Scograil are offering the Trix version for 5p under if you don't use Paypal:

https://www.scograil.co.uk/trix-22886-ho-gauge-br-a3-60103-flying-scotsman-x28dccsoundx29-29763-p.asp

A bit more for the Marklin one:

https://www.scograil.co.uk/maerklin-39968-ho--gauge-br-a3-60103-flying-scotsman-x28acsoundx29-29765-p.asp

• Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Mark Laidlay said:

I'm worried about the wheels and my code 70 track.  What are recent Marklin offerings like on wheel standards?

Trix C-track is code 83

trix005.jpg

Edited by maico
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 24/03/2023 at 10:42, giz said:

A couple of German dealers I've used in the past Kramm and Lippe have sold out of the Marklin version.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I willing to overlook a few flaws. No matter what it is the right scale and gauge. That already puts it miles ahead of the OO versions IMO.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mark Laidlay said:

I watched a "Marklin TV" about new products, they mentioned some models being 1:93.5!  Certainly hoping this doesn't apply to 60103.

That only relates to the linear scale of some of their coaches. All other measurements being correct 1/87 meaning the coach is the correct height and width.

The reason for this is such coaches are 26.4 metres long and therefore eat up huge amounts of layout space.

Older models used to be to 1/100 scale but these did look too short.

• Like 1

From my e-book on Gauge and Scale (free to download at http://sncf231e.nl/gauge-and-scale/):

The 1:87 scale was not in all cases used with H0-gauge; some manufacturers used larger or smaller scales in the beginnings. Fleischmann for instance used first 1:82, then 1:85 before using the correct 1:87 scale while Trix Express used 1:90 in the beginning. Further, and even in recent times, sometimes models are made to scale in height and width but not in length.  Having a shorter length for long passenger cars was, and still is, done to make it possible to use these passenger cars on small radius track. Shown here are three German coaches which have an original length of 26.4 meter. The top two are made by Märklin and are made to a length-scale of 1:110 and 1:100. The third car is made by ADE and is to the correct scale length of 1:87.

P1000089.JPG.a3207fa572f4efa526ef5437424224d2.JPG

Regards

Fred

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 1 month later...

Found something a bit confusing in the pdf. instruction manual, quote:

"This model is larger than the customary European loading gauge. It swings out quite a ways, chiefly on curves. Please check before using this model for the first time, to make sure that it can operate on your layout without hitting signals, catenary masts, bridge railings, tunnel portals, etc. The prototypical construction of this model requires that the trackwork on a layout be laid with great precision and care. While Märklin C or K Track meet these requirements, M Track may not meet these conditions due to greater tolerances caused by years of operation. In these situations, there may be problems operating through turnouts at extreme slow or fast speeds."

https://static.maerklin.de/damcontent/f0/29/f029b566e5ea08a13c6706383306f2db1694005393.pdf

I thought British loading gauge was smaller?

With the tender set to standard spacing, the model can round R1 360mm

The exploded parts diagram shows the Cartazzi truck modeled as a pivoting pony truck.

I'm not sure why they say the model "swings out quite a ways"...

The model is due for delivery next month although it's sold out on the Marklin and Trix direct sale websites.

Edited by maico
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Interesting stuff.  Price makes my eyes water though.

I recall, many years ago Rivarossi produced two Scots (one was 6100 along with the bell) in some sort of odd scale somewhere between H0 and 00 (perhaps a case of trying to please everyone and pleasing no-one).  At least there were coaches and I recall that I had a beautiful rake of early LMS coaches in the lovely Midland lined livery.  Locos were gorgeous too.  It never caught on though as far as I know.

John

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...