Märklin announces Flying Scotsman in H0

sncf231e

Hi all. Has anyone found the dimensions for the loco? I've been searching but not had any luck. Looking at the spec. DCC Sound, working lights, glow firebox, tender corridor lights and working steam to me sounds like the best ever FS to be produced. Knocks Hornby for 6. Tempted ever at that price but the spec looks good. Just the size worry me against some MK1's or pullman coaches. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

22 minutes ago, HighPeak45 said:

Hi all. Has anyone found the dimensions for the loco? I've been searching but not had any luck. Looking at the spec. DCC Sound, working lights, glow firebox, tender corridor lights and working steam to me sounds like the best ever FS to be produced. Knocks Hornby for 6. Tempted ever at that price but the spec looks good. Just the size worry me against some MK1's or pullman coaches. 

Only length over buffers 245 mm

Parts Pdf.

11aabc635c7925fe8f013e89bdee9e5e1692186399.pdf

Edited by maico

• RMweb Premium

I placed my order when it was first announced but now on seeing the videos I may cancel. The chimney does not look correct to my eyes, the smoke is poor compared to my existing Marklin/Trix dynamic smoke models and the sound seems flat although that could be down to the sound recording of the videos I watched. I am sure of one thing the build quality and running will be good.

7 hours ago, Bigskybirds said:

I placed my order when it was first announced but now on seeing the videos I may cancel. The chimney does not look correct to my eyes, the smoke is poor compared to my existing Marklin/Trix dynamic smoke models and the sound seems flat although that could be down to the sound recording of the videos I watched. I am sure of one thing the build quality and running will be good.

Is the chimney height required for the smoke unit to function?

• RMweb Premium
On 22/10/2023 at 12:31, HighPeak45 said:

Just the size worry me against some MK1's or pullman coaches. 

The old Lima H0 Mk1s are pretty common on the second-hand market and if you're really keen can be reskinned and rebogied to correct the undersized originals. 

The Fleischmann H0 Bullieds are a little rarer, but do turn up from time to time. 

IMG_20230618_095440.jpg

IMG_20230205_130335.jpg

IMG_20230205_130340.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The Marklin model seems to be a one off excursion into British outline like the brass Scotsman model manufactured by Samhongsa in the 90's. Fleischmann did have ideas about entering the British Market in a real way but abandoned it after releasing the Warship and Bulleid coaches.

Sure not perfect, but no matter still more accurate overall  OO models.  In saying that the deficiencies are enough that I will not buy either the OO or HO versions.....for now.

Edited by wairoa

Marklin/Trix have done a few special locos over the last few years for a number of railway companies such as the Czech class 498 and French EST type 13 and the Scotsman is sold out for direct sale from either Marklin or Trix whereas a number of other specials are still available.

I could see something else British appearing in the near future. I would guess on a US tour version of the Scotsman or an A4, probably Mallard though I wouldn't like to wait until 2038 for its anniversary.

Only Marklin will know the demand for the model and how quickly this was met. If it sold out rapidly, I hope the chance their luck with a coach set!

I await my Trix version and an expensive Christmas!

• Like 1

On 28/09/2023 at 19:51, maico said:

Found something a bit confusing in the pdf. instruction manual, quote:

"This model is larger than the customary European loading gauge. It swings out quite a ways, chiefly on curves. Please check before using this model for the first time, to make sure that it can operate on your layout without hitting signals, catenary masts, bridge railings, tunnel portals, etc. The prototypical construction of this model requires that the trackwork on a layout be laid with great precision and care. While Märklin C or K Track meet these requirements, M Track may not meet these conditions due to greater tolerances caused by years of operation. In these situations, there may be problems operating through turnouts at extreme slow or fast speeds."

I thought British loading gauge was smaller?

With the tender set to standard spacing, the model can round R1 360mm

The exploded parts diagram shows the Cartazzi truck modeled as a pivoting pony truck.

I'm not sure why they say the model "swings out quite a ways"...

The UK railway's dynamic envelope is smaller than that of continental Europe,  and a Gresley pacific is smaller than the final generations of their heavy steam traction. (The significantly larger Gresley P2 2-8-2 enjoyed a French holiday with OVSB, no trouble.)

What's been done to this specific model to enable it to go though small radius curves in the way of 'bumping' the cylinders outboard and like scale deviations typical of RTR HO product cannot be assessed. There's a reason why keen modellers in mainland Europe move to P87: commercial HO is distorted to the same extent as RTR OO, but in a different 'variscale' way...

I suspect the italicised quote element above is a standard 'informative'. Wouldn't it be good if the UK brands thought to tell their customers that their old track system may cause problems due to many years wear, and the like?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

I suspect the italicised quote element above is a standard 'informative'. Wouldn't it be good if the UK brands thought to tell their customers that their old track system may cause problems due to many years wear, and the like?

I think track compatibility is an area where enthusiasts can deride new entrants and less experienced modellers without considering that to those less versed in the hobby what might be obvious to us isn't to others. It's better than it was I think but could still probably be better. It reminds me of the willingness of some to mock people who don't know how to open slam doors on trains. It's obvious to us because we grew up with it but there's a generation (probably more) and foreign visitors for who the idea of pulling the window down and then leaning out to use the outside door handle must seem bonkers. Even pull down windows must seem strange to most younger people.

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you that have your H0 60103, does it come with a knuckle coupler that can be fitted to the NEM socket on the tender?  Is the colour as bad as the videos look?  Are the flanges really that big?

Mark in Melbourne wishing I had got a brass version all those years ago.

Interesting to see that this has an articulated rear pony truck. I know that is a feature some people want on UK 00, with the fixed rear pony being more normal but I think it looks very odd in the video posted above where you can see it getting closer and further away from the cab floor as it runs up and down. 

In this general discussion, I see a lot of what I consider complaints.  The chimney is no good, the flanges are too big, the rear axle turns, etc.

Well, no one else is making British HO steam for us.  Scotsman is the most famous loco.  If it does well, maybe we can get something else, like a Mallard or maybe a Castle.  For those of us who want it all just perfect, we have to scratchbuild the whole thing.  Or build a non existent British 1/87 kit.   Or how many here bought a PSM and have 30 inch curves?

• Agree 2