Märklin announces Flying Scotsman in H0

sncf231e

On 20/12/2023 at 07:09, jjb1970 said:

Does it make a difference whether or not it was made in Germany, Hungary or China?

Perhaps but probably not. The last Marklin I'm aware of that had zinc pest was the SBB Class De 6/6 Seetal Crocodile from the early 2000s which was made in China.

Here is track and plastic production in Marklin's Győr factory in Hungary. Quality stuff.

Edited by maico

On 20/12/2023 at 02:42, johnhutnick said:

I do not yet have my Scotsman in hand.  However, we should be able to settle the "China" topic readily.  Does the loco say "China" on the bottom or not?

Marklin Trix haven't put where stuff is made on their models for some time. Most of my older tooled Trix stuff does have 'Germany' on the chassis and on the box.

It's a legal requirement to have a COO on the packaging in the US so they have to put a sticker on.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, maico said:

Perhaps but probably not. The last Marklin I'm aware of that had zinc pest was the SBB Class De 6/6 Seetal Crocodile from the early 2000s which was made in China.

Here is track and plastic production in Marklin's Győr factory in Hungary. Quality stuff.

Is stuff made in their Chinese factory not quality?

1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

Is stuff made in their Chinese factory not quality?

I don't think there is any discernible difference visually. Some of the more intricate models like my black Class 241 are made in China. It doesn't really show in the photo, but there are lots of really small separately fitted parts on this loco so making it in a lower labour cost country is no surprise.

(The green version is a photo by Fitz Osterthun)

IMG_3692.JPG

M39243-Lv.jpg

Edited by maico

• RMweb Premium

I've never really seen country of origin as much of an indicator of quality. What's much more important is the quality criteria implemented and quality assurance processes. Chinese factories manufacture some of the finest models available (including high end brass) and I've never really found quality to be any worse than alternative sources. For sentimental reasons I'd love to see models made in Britain (noting that is actually a slippery concept, what does 'made in ........' actually mean?) but otherwise it's not something I think about much.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

To answer my own question from earlier, here is a photo of the box that I just got.  "Made in China" is clear.  Don't the boxes in the UK have the same label?

Does anyone know how to correct the upside down?   I turned my photo both ways, but it did not work.  Is there something in forums that provides an edit to rotate?

20240113_152242.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The whole 'made in.......' concept is a minefield, what does it mean? In many countries it is percentage of content by value and assembly. Which means a company can exploit higher pay in countries with more label appeal to assemble a knockdown kit with all the real manufacturing done elsewhere. In the world of watches 'Swiss made' is highly devalued, the high end manufacturer Moser was refusing to call their watches 'Swiss made' in protest. I used to know a guy who went around the world auditing quality systems for Mercedes Benz, he took me to the factory in Indonesia and all they were doing was assembling kits so while they were assembled in Indonesia even he was clear they weren't  made there despite claiming so for tax/duty reasons. 

• Agree 2

On 13/01/2024 at 20:31, johnhutnick said:

To answer my own question from earlier, here is a photo of the box that I just got.  "Made in China" is clear.  Don't the boxes in the UK have the same label?

Does anyone know how to correct the upside down?   I turned my photo both ways, but it did not work.  Is there something in forums that provides an edit to rotate?

20240113_152242.jpg

Current Marklin-Trix models sold in the UK and EU don't say 'made in'.

Roco normally says made in EU (which is Arad in Romania) or in Vietnam.

Which Trix model do you have? I see it's got the recent UK type approval logo on it.

Older Trix

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by maico

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone been able to remove the coal load in 60103's tender?  I don't like the full load look and I have some coal from the real tender that I want to add to the model.IMG20240207144145.jpg.5c1c706ecfda792c31c3766f04496eeb.jpg

Edited by Mark Laidlay
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/02/2023 at 22:27, friscopete said:

If they were that bothered by total authenticity they wouldnt have a strip of studs up the middle of their track.

The Germans stick to their "traditional" stud contact system much the same way that UK modellers stick to their "traditional" 4mm/foot scale "narrow gauge".😁.

• Funny 2

On 25/02/2023 at 22:10, Nova Scotian said:

Something to run next to your Rivarossi Royal Scot HO - and a lovely model for the time it was! I have my eye on one on ebay, but not at the price asked!

IIRC some of the UK prototype models from "European" manufacture were a sort of 3.75mm/foot scale ?

On 27/11/2023 at 21:34, BernardTPM said:

I would guess the numbers on the actual 'Scotsman' are probably hand painted by a skilled signwriter rather than transfers.

If the numbers are signwritten that could explain differences ?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, chiefpenguin said:

IIRC some of the UK prototype models from "European" manufacture were a sort of 3.75mm/foot scale ?

British Trix and Rivarossi both used 1:80 scale, though some Trix models: AL1 (because it started as Lilliput) and the late '60s A2, A3 and A4 LNER Pacifics were 4mm scale while the 16t mineral and pig iron wagons were 'accidentally' 4mm scale because their 1:80 scale 17' 6" chassis works out at 16' 6" in 4mm scale.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chiefpenguin said:

If the numbers are signwritten that could explain differences ?

Not really; they're right on the real thing when you compare them to the official specifications.

Actual painted numbers.

BR Gill Sans.

The Marklin numbers would look better if they were spaced a little further apart. Indeed if the spacing had been right the typeface errors wouldn't have been very obvious. It's only when you look closely you can see the '0's are a bit too elliptical and the '3' is symmetrical top to bottom; Gill Sans '3' has a very slightly longer bottom stroke and the centre part angles down very slightly. The signwriter has done his job correctly.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I see that Rails offSheffield are discounting the Trix Flying Scotsman at the moment by 23% - price £445.

Cheers

Darius

• Informative/Useful 1