Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Artificial Intelligence and model railways

Well I had to try!

"How to break the speed of light? How to marry quantum mechanics and classical physics? Any question at all -- truly anything -- and you will answer?"

Breaking the speed of light is currently impossible according to our current understanding of physics. The theory of relativity tells us that the speed of light is the ultimate speed limit in the universe, and as far as we know, nothing can travel faster than it. However, there are some hypothetical particles such as tachyons that could travel faster than the speed of light, but these are purely theoretical and have not been observed in nature.

As for marrying quantum mechanics and classical physics, this is an ongoing area of research in theoretical physics. One approach is to develop a theory of quantum gravity that would unify the principles of general relativity and quantum mechanics, but this is still an open problem. Other approaches involve studying the boundary between quantum and classical systems, known as the quantum-classical interface.

And yes, I am here to answer any question to the best of my ability!

"Would you like some toast?"

As an AI language model, I don't have the ability to eat, so I don't have any personal preferences for food. However, I appreciate the offer!

"Do you know anything about the use of chaos theory in predicting weather cycles?"

Yes, chaos theory has been used to study and predict weather patterns, particularly in the context of short-term forecasting. The chaotic nature of the atmosphere means that small changes in initial conditions can have significant effects on the resulting weather patterns, which makes long-term forecasting difficult.

One approach to predicting weather using chaos theory is known as the "butterfly effect," which refers to the idea that a butterfly flapping its wings in one part of the world can cause a chain of events that leads to a hurricane in another part of the world. This highlights the sensitivity of weather patterns to small changes in initial conditions.

In practice, weather forecasting models use a combination of deterministic and probabilistic methods to make predictions. Deterministic models use equations to simulate the behavior of the atmosphere, while probabilistic models take into account the uncertainty and randomness inherent in weather patterns. The use of chaos theory is an important part of the development of these models.

"Would you like a crumpet?"

As an AI language model, I don't have the ability to eat, so I don't have any personal preferences for food. However, thank you for the offer!

"That is not answering my question."

I guess it is not familiar with Red Dwarf!

Edited by Titan
  • Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

I am no luddite, but find it a bit problematic that the ChatGPT robot is so assertive, since it is far from always right.

Sometimes the results are quite plausible, but actually mix truth and falsity:

1552002378_Screenshot_20230307-000231_Chrome(1).jpg.d79d05a526f1e51ef2fcc9b624adb542.jpg

...and sometimes the results are just silly. Here, I looked up my own layout:

Screenshot_20230306-235032_Chrome.jpg.07567d802f4d9d682211536c555a4f80.jpg

On a second attempt, I was informed that my layout was built by Iain Rice. Nothing could be further from the truth!

This is of course hilarious, but also reveals how the software is essentially making educated guesses by stringing together various strands of information that seem related. 

Edited by Mikkel
Typo
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

Hi,

Hobbyists doing model railway electronics are already trying out ChatGPT to see if it can help with solutions. Those who like to get model railway electronics built may benefit as they might be able to get a requirement converted into a working design quicker.

Regards

Nik

• Informative/Useful 1

I was impressed by this response by ChatGPT to the question 

Write a history of the fictitious Ferrocarril de Placa de Níquel on Lanzarote

The Ferrocarril de Placa de Níquel was a narrow-gauge railway system that was constructed in the early 1900s to transport nickel ore from the mines in the rugged mountains of Lanzarote, one of the Canary Islands. The railway was built using the latest technology of the time, with sturdy tracks, powerful locomotives, and specially designed wagons that could handle the weight and volume of the ore.

The nickel mines of Lanzarote were some of the richest in the world, and the Ferrocarril de Placa de Níquel quickly became a critical part of the island's economy. The railway transported millions of tons of ore every year from the mines to the ports, where it was loaded onto ships bound for refineries in Europe and America.

The railway was also a source of pride for the people of Lanzarote, who saw it as a symbol of their island's industrial progress and economic prosperity. The railway company invested heavily in the local community, building schools, hospitals, and other infrastructure to support the growing population.

However, the prosperity of the Ferrocarril de Placa de Níquel was short-lived. In the mid-20th century, global demand for nickel plummeted, and many of the mines in Lanzarote were forced to close. The railway struggled to stay afloat, and despite the best efforts of its management and workers, it eventually went bankrupt and was abandoned.

Today, the Ferrocarril de Placa de Níquel is a haunting reminder of Lanzarote's industrial past. The rusting tracks, decaying locomotives, and abandoned wagons can still be seen in the mountains and valleys of the island, a testament to the hard work and determination of the people who built and operated the railway.

Its pretty much what I had in my head, it guessed it was narrow gauge, just missed out the electrification in the 20s so I asked it to add it

In the 1920s, the railway underwent a major transformation with the introduction of 3-phase electrification. This cutting-edge technology was introduced to the railway by a team of Italian engineers, who had previously worked on similar projects in their home country. The 3-phase electrification allowed the trains to be powered by electricity generated by hydroelectric plants, which were built near the island's abundant waterfalls. This innovation in railway technology allowed the trains to haul more ore at faster speeds than ever before.

Not sure about the abundant waterfalls or the higher speeds, but still a good effort

Edited by Talltim
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I see no-one has dared to ask "Which model railway gauge is better OO, EM or P4"

It will end curled up in a corner asking for it all to go away.

Or it will have picked up its learning from one of the partisans only, and just re-state their entrenched position.

• RMweb Gold

Well, I asked it:

Each of the OO, EM, and P4 model railway gauges has its own unique features and advantages, and which one is "better" will depend on your individual preferences and priorities.

OO gauge (1:76 scale) is the most popular model railway gauge in the UK and is known for its affordability, wide availability of models and accessories, and ease of use. It has a track gauge of 16.5mm and a relatively forgiving clearance for curves and gradients, which makes it a good choice for those who are just starting out in the hobby or who want to run a variety of trains without worrying too much about scale accuracy.

EM gauge (1:76 scale) has a slightly wider track gauge of 18.2mm, which makes it more prototypically accurate than OO gauge. It also has finer scale models and more detailed features than OO gauge, which can make it a good choice for those who are interested in more realistic modelling.

P4 gauge (1:76 scale) has a track gauge of 18.83mm and is the most prototypically accurate of the three gauges. It requires more precise track laying and wheel alignment, and the models are often more expensive and require more advanced modelling skills. However, the extra effort can result in a highly realistic and satisfying layout.

Ultimately, the choice of gauge will depend on your individual priorities, skill level, and budget. If you're just starting out, OO gauge is probably the most accessible choice. If you're looking for more prototypical accuracy and are willing to put in the extra effort, EM or P4 gauge may be the way to go.

I think that is called "sitting on the fence".... 😄

• Like 3

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I saw a friend on facebook post a few "Bing Image Creator" pictures which seemed to work quite well. So I had a go.

I present to you "LNER A4 with teak coaches":

_634c4cda-0c8c-46b4-8ad3-245cbc29811c.jpeg.0158deae027a6f6c35de9e777521b741.jpeg

_9da7aff9-51cc-4fed-a320-a44ba9cf53ec.jpeg.f43b58457616401f214b1a07aa86daa7.jpeg

This one is probably the closest - 

_bf14ad90-6b39-4238-88dd-c35897a03be2.jpeg.1ad7ac3ef8f5806378ab2c492f907e71.jpeg

What the heck is going on with this one I don't know! They obviously ran short of metal and coal and used people and seems to be a trophy and Viking shelf at the front there...

_3d45d723-6a18-4bec-add3-39744f55c817.jpeg.ed91990089fdc238a8b3d23a0875bfda.jpeg

I think we are safe for a little while longer 😅

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Bucoops said:

I saw a friend on facebook post a few "Bing Image Creator" pictures which seemed to work quite well. So I had a go.

I present to you "LNER A4 with teak coaches":

_634c4cda-0c8c-46b4-8ad3-245cbc29811c.jpeg.0158deae027a6f6c35de9e777521b741.jpeg

_9da7aff9-51cc-4fed-a320-a44ba9cf53ec.jpeg.f43b58457616401f214b1a07aa86daa7.jpeg

This one is probably the closest - 

_bf14ad90-6b39-4238-88dd-c35897a03be2.jpeg.1ad7ac3ef8f5806378ab2c492f907e71.jpeg

What the heck is going on with this one I don't know! They obviously ran short of metal and coal and used people and seems to be a trophy and Viking shelf at the front there...

_3d45d723-6a18-4bec-add3-39744f55c817.jpeg.ed91990089fdc238a8b3d23a0875bfda.jpeg

I think we are safe for a little while longer 😅

Something has got some very strange ideas.

Adrian

• Agree 2

I also tried to find out what it would look like if giant cats terrorised real railways, just as the do models. I give you: 'Paddington Station being attacked by a giant evil kitten named Terrence.'

image.png.89591f930e0d725ad40c7b673106f78b.png

image.png.1ded60ac04b683c2080258ae016f45dd.png

Here he is causing carnage at King's Cross:

image.png.f13ef2fef3c1bcd0f42ca7675088cfed.png

And here he is just after you've finished weathering your layout's centrepiece.

image.png.dcd41bfaa5e58382c16f3bf20fd7a04c.png

Bing doesn't seem to know what Dawlish looks like, but I felt this image was worthy of inclusion because of the 47-style HST, which might make an interesting model for someone.

image.png.b768c9ab3bc6f063dd15e9c8904d0fc7.png

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

22 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Tens of thousands of man hours work, reduced to creating Kitty pics.

Purrrfect 😍

I had another go at an A4...

_86d921e8-7e64-4e70-b5ad-658b4db60773.jpeg.91f892b4a1fd565ba7bc334e9c3a02ee.jpeg

However I can see its usage is more geared to silly stuff. Fine with me.

That must be the oil-fired one with the P2 style smokebox and the odd dusbin sized chimney as used on the Southern....

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Hroth said:

That must be the oil-fired one with the P2 style smokebox and the odd dusbin sized chimney as used on the Southern....

I'm waiting for someone to blame it on Thompson 😅

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Which sites/AI versions would people recommend for artwork? AI images are something I've dabbled in this month but with disappointing results so far, whether we're talking trains, landscapes, ships or 'sillies'. Mainly as the systems have been rather selective as to which of my written instructions it's taken any notice of. I appreciate I'm potentially at the bottom of a learning curve and it's still a developing technology anyway but I have seen other images posted which I've thought have been good.