Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

hobbyshop22ltd - eBay trader

Black 5 Bear

If anyone is thinking of bidding/buying items from this trader beware, as he is the former owner of Canns models of Okehampton, one Adam Cann.

He has reincarnated this company under the name of hobbyshop22ltd.

People ordered items online which never arrived, no response for refunds etc.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium

I did not find the original name you quoted on the Companies House Register . . . . . . but HOBBY SHOP 22 Ltd was incorporated on 13th January 2023 with Adam David Cann named as the sole director. This information is on the public record available online.

Edited by Mike Bellamy
Edit as original post had wrong company name and has now been corrected.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

If anyone is thinking of bidding/buying items from this trader beware, as he is the former owner of Canns models of Okehampton, one Adam Cann.

He has reincarnated this company under the name of Modelshop22ltd.

His Ebay name is Hobbyshop22Ltd - see here what he has for sale. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• Black 5 Bear changed the title to hobbyshop22ltd - eBay trader
  • RMweb Gold

I just checked and I bought an item from them earlier in the year. It didn't show up and initially I was getting replies to messages, but then it went quiet. I opened an item not received case which did illicit a reply. I was offered a refund or one sent by courier rather than Royal Mail and to be fair, it did arrive next day.

So hard work, but I go the item eventually.

edit: the person I was in contact with signed the messages Mark.

Edited by Bucoops
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

He seems to have a few bidders, let's hope disappointment isn't on the horizon.

Mike.

I bought from them just before Christmas, didn’t have any issues, admittedly I didn’t think the item would turn up following previous warnings on the bargain hunters thread but it did arrive within a few days 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

He has reincarnated this company under the name of hobbyshop22ltd.

I've just had a look at this chaps e bay listings. I did notice that he does seem to have an excellent feedback history with many positive comments re delivery times and quality etc. (apart from two negatives)  No connection with me at all, ever at all. Just pointing it out. 

Regards, Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, big jim said:

I bought from them just before Christmas, didn’t have any issues

Me too.  Items arrived quickly and well packed.

He had 100% positive feedback at that time.

Checking his feedback again this evening, he now has two negatives, both from the same buyer.

Edited by cessna152towser
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TinTracks said:

I've just had a look at this chaps e bay listings. I did notice that he does seem to have an excellent feedback history with many positive comments re delivery times and quality etc. (apart from two negatives)  No connection with me at all, ever at all. Just pointing it out. 

Regards, Rich

Considering he's only been trading in this company name since the 13th of January this year, over 2700 reviews seems somewhat suspicious.

N.B. Canns models also had good reviews prior to going rogue!

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I think he’s changed the shop name in January, it certainly wasn’t called what it is now when I bought from him in December, I can’t see the shop/name history on eBay mobile but it can be viewed on the classic site iirc

it says he’s been on eBay since April 22, 2000+ feedback since then is still pretty impressive though! 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, RFS said:

Buying from Ebay gives you PayPal protection which is better than buying online from a shop using a credit card ....

Since the change in their payment platform provider you get the protection whether you use PayPal or your credit/debit card. So whilst any issue may be disappointing, at least you won't lose money if the item does not arrive.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
Just now, andyman7 said:

Since the change in their payment platform provider you get the protection whether you use PayPal or your credit/debit card. So whilst any issue may be disappointing, at least you won't lose money if the item does not arrive.

that’s why I took the punt on buying from them via eBay, had the item not arrived I’d not be out of pocket financially.

I bought some accurascale chaldrons which with an eBay voucher worked out at about £32 so not a huge amount to be waiting on should I have had to wait for a refund via eBay, at one point they had a lot more accurascale items including, at the time recently released 92s but now it seems to be a few chaldrons, buffers, wheels and loads etc, smaller ancillary items as it were, almost like the final dregs of a bigger order 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Don't put too much faith in the seemingly low number of negative feedbacks.  A seller has the right to appeal to have any negative feedback removed and often gets their way (there are numerous online guides about how best to word appeals for unscrupulous sellers to get negs taken off, there is a growing support industry for dodgy sellers out there!!)  and when a refund for non-delivery occurs, cancelling the sale, the negative feedback left sometimes is automatically deleted by ebay anyway.

Basically, ebays feedback is about as much use as a cat flap on a submarine....

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 months later...

The 'predicted' Trainwreck seems to be in play, or should it be described as 'Grand Theft [miniature] Auto'?

The 'seller' has given around 1400 feedbacks in response to payments in the past month, many as a result of 99p start auctions for items that would then definitely sell.

At least the listings have now been pulled so further buyers will not be impacted and subsequently disappointed.

eBay will be busy with refunds.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting - when I view the item I purchased it shows as the seller name adca-3942 - which doesn't appear to exist.

Hmm - adca sounds suspiciously like Adam Cann...

Edited by Bucoops
add name
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Fishyjohn said:

The 'predicted' Trainwreck seems to be in play, or should it be described as 'Grand Theft [miniature] Auto'?

The 'seller' has given around 1400 feedbacks in response to payments in the past month, many as a result of 99p start auctions for items that would then definitely sell.

At least the listings have now been pulled so further buyers will not be impacted and subsequently disappointed.

eBay will be busy with refunds.

I really can't understand how Cann continues to get away with this type of behaviour, which to all intensive purposes is fraud by misrepresentation.

I'm aware Devon Trading Standards and D+C Police were looking at him, however little seems to have happened to stop him in his tracks.

• Like 1

On 09/03/2023 at 08:16, RFS said:

Buying from Ebay gives you PayPal protection which is better than buying online from a shop using a credit card ....

There are some classes of items not protected by either eBay,  for a dispute resolution,  or covered under the PayPal protection scheme as I recently found out.  Basically, for these items both eBay and PayPal state that the buyer must sort out a dispute with the seller himself.  If eBay refuses to intervene then PayPal are not interested in following up the matter.

17 minutes ago, GWR-fan said:

There are some classes of items not protected by either eBay,  for a dispute resolution,  or covered under the PayPal protection scheme as I recently found out.  Basically, for these items both eBay and PayPal state that the buyer must sort out a dispute with the seller himself.  If eBay refuses to intervene then PayPal are not interested in following up the matter.

Any idea of what items are specifically excluded from the purchase protection?

2 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Any idea of what items are specifically excluded from the purchase protection?

In my case it was Australia/UK power adaptors.  Basically told by both parties, not interested as not covered by buyer protection.  PayPal stated as the item was purchased through eBay then I must deal with eBay,  who refused to act.

I am confident that the eBay Money Back Guarantee will cover all losses incurred by 'buyers' here [my estimate well over 1000 items at say £30 average].  

These are a few questions arising from information in the public domain.

The Business Seller Information quoted in the eBay listings has Hobby Shop 22 Ltd [an entity] and a VAT number as GB 434307026. On checking the Gov.UK site this number is registered to Adam Cann [an individual].  So one piece of information is not consistent with the other.

eBay both could and should have carried out a proper check themselves.

Companies House Services has 2 entries for Adam David Cann as Director.

1)  CANNS MODELS LTD (12195781)

2)  HOBBY SHOP 22 LTD (14590684)

In each case the said individual is listed as having only 1 appointment, there should be a tie up and there is not.

In both cases the Companies and Directorships are listed as active

Canns Models is listed as having filed accounts only once [for a Dormant Company] in August 2021. Notice was given in August 2022 for Compulsory Strike-Off but this was suspended the following month. No further entries have been made.

Hobby Shop 22 is listed as Incorporated January 2023.  First accounts made up to 31 January 2024 are due by 13 October 2024.

I am not sure of the exact legal trading style adopted in each case but it may well be that he has traded generally as a Sole Trader which is what appears to be the case on eBay [except for the Business Name].

Nearly 80 negatives for this month already including one for me . Cann has been a busy B@@££&*&() td . 

Good example why you never buy with cheques/ cash and never with friends /relatives options on Paypal . You will never seen even a penny again, if you do.

Edited by micklner
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I can't find any ebay member hobbyshop22ltd listed now or any items for sale from someone of that name.  I was hoping to have a browse of the feedback for a laugh.

Has ebay booted him off or is their search for a member function useless?