Beattock - 00 Finescale

Steve Hewitt

• RMweb Gold

I looked at this a few years ago as a possible project in N. Should make an ideal club/exhibition project.

One word of caution. The OS maps are very inaccurate  with regard to railway infrastructure - even more than usual. Trust only photographic evidence or railway drawings.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

DCC will be a useful addition for your banker, I'd have thought.  It's a fine idea, a busy section of main line with plenty variety in an interesting period, with the bankers, up and down loops, and the Moffat branch, though that would be closed in the later steam/Class 50 period.

'In a farm near Beattock nobody wakes

but a jug in the bedroom gently shakes'

I would hope to see the jug included on an exhibition model, gently shaking...  Have to say that line gave me goosebumps when I read it in school, and still does!

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

I'm surprised no-one has said - it's been done before..... East Kilbride MRC did Beattock in BR steam days years ago, a nice layout. It only lasted a few years and I don't know what happened to it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davefrk said:

I'm surprised no-one has said - it's been done before..... East Kilbride MRC did Beattock in BR steam days years ago, a nice layout. It only lasted a few years and I don't know what happened to it.

What, the shaking jugs?

• Funny 4

Just for reference really, but maybe of interest to those less familiar with the location, this seems to be the best available large scale OS mapping:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16.7&lat=55.30830&lon=-3.45897&layers=168&b=8

Somewhere fairly recently (last year or two) I saw a picture or two of an unusual BR steam era crane for loco coaling at Beattock shed.  Assuming that is relevant for the period being modelled I’ll try and find them again!

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, davefrk said:

Yes, but that's Scotland, who takes any notice of what goes on there?!!

Mike.

• Funny 4

Looking forward to seeing this layout's progress as we stay over in Moffat each year and come off the motorwsy near Beattock station.

You probably know this but the Moffat station area is now part of a park. But you can still see where the station approach ran at the end of the branch from Moffat.

Cheers. Andy

20220805_152153.jpg.17e2337c38d8cf6308e860ac5a1c81a3.jpg

20220805_144937.jpg.cb69f74fd7572734d59ba22188a21e69.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, The Johnster said:

'In a farm near Beattock nobody wakes

but a jug in the bedroom gently shakes'

I would hope to see the jug included on an exhibition model, gently shaking...  Have to say that line gave me goosebumps when I read it in school, and still does!

I would hope the music would be playing while that poem is being recited at the exhibition.

• RMweb Premium

You don't need dcc to have bankers operating well.. we did it on the Leeds club layout years ago, Mike Edge does it on Wentworth Junction and of course that's how it works on Shap.

Baz

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Sense there are slightly more iconic renderings of Carlisle (one in particular) compared to my humble offerings 🙂

Living in Moffat I’d noticed this thread and given the pedigree and the talent involved an sure it will be spectacular.  Watching with interest.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Steve Hewitt said:

Yes, indeed!

Could this be the first layout where the signals are ready before the trackwork?

2077910239_Signals4.jpg.8c1342a4d379f39c8b947361dc514583.jpg

The first two completed signals:

1.  The Down Platform Starter - possibly the lowest doll I've seen on a bracket signal.

For viewing under the footbridge.

It has a Banner Repeater further back along the platform, but I haven't started on that yet.

2.  The Up Home signal controlled from the North Box.

With the South Box Distant below it.

I assume it's so tall to ensure viewing over the "Crooked Road" bridge.

It is seen here over the loco cab:

1563633110_Branchomeandgoodscropped.png.9b94a65de501e8595eae49a565ba2db5.png

In the background is the third signal, which I started at the Preston show.

All lower quadrant  arms controlling the Moffat Branch facilities.

Five arms for "Up" movements, and two for "Down".

A lattice gantry , it carries five dolls and spans one goods line.

Here are a couple of work in progress shots.

Most of the static metal work complete. The finials will be added after painting and final assembly. 

1472601362_Signalwip1.jpg.fda78cdfa686a8640e921e1f86b37afd.jpg

1005489800_Signalwip2.jpg.5df20c1b249351be348ab2c7b3600dc5.jpg

Meanwhile progress on the baseboards is going ahead at quite a pace in the Clubroom:

1704418556_Baseboards4.jpg.09983192cafd3bfb3544d0fe098e6a0a.jpg

Extensive use of jigs is accelerating our progress.

992322728_Baseboards6.jpg.1d3799424a7de9740c6c64010763c457.jpg

As we left things yesterday.

And we have a plan..........

398205730_Baseboards3.jpg.ae7f7cb5cd5b43e0557e2252bdf7e6c0.jpg

More soon I hope, if we continue to progress.......................

Steve

When craft becomes art...

Magnificent beasties, truly magnificent.