The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Magazine annoyance - supermarket versions

john new

• RMweb Gold

For the second time recently I have been annoyed when visiting the supermarket to find that despite being a subscriber to two of the modelling mags (Rly Mod* - digital & Model Rail via my local newsagent) the attached supplements in the versions supplied to Sainsburys have not been issued to regular readers. I have bought 2nd copies which I will pass to my grandson in order to get those extras, but it hardly seems good practice to short-change your subscribers.

A third (Hornby Magazine) has also done print specials including the Hornby catalogue - not that I'm bothered by that loss but as with the other two mags an annoying short changing of regular readers. 

Do other regular readers/subscribers concur?

* Thanks for comments below. I have now rechecked on Exact and the Rly Mag LMS one does show. Yesterday when I checked my phone in Sainsburys I couldn't see it and had also missed it when I'd looked at my digital mag copy. A bonus copy now for my grandson.

Edited by john new
Reworded in light of a later posts.

• RMweb Premium

Model Rail, never includes any supplements in Australia, yet Railway Modeller does.

The UK price is about the same, but Model Rail costs more in the newsagents than Railway Modeller in Oz and as I mentioned, we don't get any supplements.

Obviously decisions are made by a shake of hands in boardrooms, to save money.

• Like 1

My annoyance is the other way round when Supermarkets and W H Smith bundle two magazines together so that you have to pay a small sum for a magazine that you don't want.

The Hornby catalogue was not free but at a discount and subscribers could get the same offer through the publishers web site. Some offers etc don't always seem to apply to digital subscribers.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, john new said:

For the second time recently I have been annoyed when visiting the supermarket to find that despite being a subscriber to two of the modelling mags (Rly Mod - digital & Model Rail via my local newsagent) the attached supplements in the Sainsburys versions have not been issued to regular readers.

The Railway Modeller supplement (LMS Locos) was enclosed with my printed subscription copy and so it wasn't a 'supermarket special' - but i appreciate your frustration that things like this are missed from those who have gone digital.

The thing that annoys me with magazines in supermarkets is the declining number of supermarkets selling magazines of interest to men. Often the selection on offer is restricted to TV guides, children's magazines, carefully positioned on the bottom shelf for maximum pester power, and women's magazines.  Even newsagents are little better in this respect.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

The thing that annoys me with magazines in supermarkets is the declining number of supermarkets selling magazines of interest to men. Often the selection on offer is restricted to TV guides, children's magazines, carefully positioned on the bottom shelf for maximum pester power, and women's magazines.  Even newsagents are little better in this respect.

Seems to vary greatly, perhaps based on what the users of that shop buy.  Of the stores local to me - TESCO (Portland) 60/40 bias you suggest, LIDL (Portland) agree with you. Sainsburys (Weymouth) stock a wider range and definitely plenty of traditionally male stuff. Only model rail title of the four main one’s that is not stocked is BRM.

Edited by john new
Clarity needed after a reread

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mike Bellamy said:

The Railway Modeller supplement (LMS Locos) was enclosed with my printed subscription copy and so it wasn't a 'supermarket special' - but i appreciate your frustration that things like this are missed from those who have gone digital.

With Rly Mod it surprised me as they usually do add a digital copy of their extras. 

Edited by john new
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, john new said:

A third (Hornby Magazine) has also done print specials including the Hornby catalogue - not that I'm bothered by that loss but as with the other two mags an annoying short changing of regular readers. 

Do other regular readers/subscribers concur?

Subscribers were able to order the Hornby Catalogue and get the same discount via the website. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Flying Pig said:

I have a digital subscription to RM and the LMS locos extra is present as a separate item in the list of issues, between March and April 2023.  Several extras are also listed for 2022.

Thanks for this.I have now rechecked on Exact and it does show. Yesterday when I checked my phone in Sainsburys I couldn't see it and had also missed it when I'd looked at my digital mag copy. A bonus copy now for my grandson.

Edited by john new
Aded info.
  • Like 2