Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Confessions of a Canton goods guard

• RMweb Gold

There was a loop on the down (Newportwards) road at Tram Inn, and one would not infrequently find the searchlight  distant on with freight trains even if you weren’t ‘going inside’, as the signalman could set this signal to be ‘approach lit’, meaning the approaching train would close a track circuit from (IIRC) 400 yards out (I’m sure stationmaster Mike will put us right if I’ve misremembered) which would clear the signal, right away Pontrilas…

Loops on the Hereford Road were provided at Llantarnam Jc on the down, Abergavenny on the down, Pontrilas in both directions, and Tram Inn on the up. Refuge sidings were available at Abergavenny on the up though I never saw them used, and in both directions at Pontypool Road, with a rather odd arrangement, a hangover from the days  only a few years before when this had been a major junction (at this time the only other remnant of the previous complexity was a single track curving away to the west, accessing the steelworks and the Blaenavon (period spelling) branch from Llantarnam Jc).   You accessed these refuge sidings through facing points off the up and down mains, so you had to run in to the ‘other’ refuge and set back into your own, but could exit the siding direct on to your own road.  This caught out one or two of my colleagues who’d signed the road and shouldn’t have…

Another point of interest on the Hereford Road was St.Devereux station, between Pontrilas and Tram Inn.  Actually, not that interesting in my day, when closed stations with the platforms torn up and the station building sold off as a private dwelling with noisy neighbours were ten-a-penny, but ine was regaled with tales of the staff here, who farmed trout in the water tank, long before it was commercially popular elsewhere.  You could buy them, live in a bucket (shades of Aberthaw CEGB), and there were apparently drivers who refused to take water from the columns here in case a fish got stuck in an injector.  Not sure that this ever happened…

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

there were apparently drivers who refused to take water from the columns here in case a fish got stuck in an injector.  Not sure that this ever happened…

Well I don't think it was ever an excuse in Reggie Perrin...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

43 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

… there were apparently drivers who refused to take water from the columns here in case a fish got stuck in an injector.  Not sure that this ever happened…

26 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Obviously must have had Thomas the Tank Engine stories read to them as youngsters!

Paul.

DL Smith in “Tales of the Glasgow and South Western Railway” says:

”Fish of various sorts were quite common in tender tanks. Drivers used to say that they ate up vegetable matter and so kept the sieves clean.”

That also implies that fish wouldn’t get past the sieves and into injectors.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

There is a paragraph in the March 1930 LNER Magazine about workers finding a trout swimming round in the tender of No. 657 (Q5 0-8-0) at Stooperdale boiler shops. Also a photo of said trout once it had been caught. 15oz and 13 & 3/4 inches long apparently.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, The Johnster said:

There was a loop on the down (Newportwards) road at Tram Inn, and one would not infrequently find the searchlight  distant on with freight trains even if you weren’t ‘going inside’, as the signalman could set this signal to be ‘approach lit’, meaning the approaching train would close a track circuit from (IIRC) 400 yards out (I’m sure stationmaster Mike will put us right if I’ve misremembered) which would clear the signal, right away Pontrilas…

Careful here sir...

Searchlights could be approach lit AND approach controlled, two subtly different things..

Approach lit searchlights were ones that didn't normally display an aspect, an approaching train operating a track circuit approx 1-2 miles on the approach to the signal would turn on the lamp, and the signal would display until the complete train had past it. A very neat way of getting long life out of dry cells in the days before mains electricity was commonplace. Here at Littleport our up distant in the '50's was an approach lit searchlight.

Approach controlled on the other hand means that the signalman could set the route for a diverging junction, but to ensure that the train slowed down for that diverging route, the signal wouldn't actually clear until it occupied a track circuit a suitable distance from the signal to ensure that the train had slowed down.

Mind you, these days now that the are no searchlights left in the national network (How sad, lovely things!) the phrase approach lit is now used to mean approach controlled too.

Andy G

Edited by uax6
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, uax6 said:

Mind you, these days now that the are no searchlights left in the national network

Are you sure about that, Andy?

I thought that the crossing signal at Lynn (Tennyson Avenue) had been converted to one before I retired.

They use LEDs however and are not traditional searchlights with the vane inside them.

Does this mean that they are something other than searchlights?

Ian T

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, ianathompson said:

Are you sure about that, Andy?

I thought that the crossing signal at Lynn (Tennyson Avenue) had been converted to one before I retired.

They use LEDs however and are not traditional searchlights with the vane inside them.

Does this mean that they are something other than searchlights?

Ian T

Real searchlights are electro-mechanical with a single lamp and a moving vane inside. Infact they have a highly sophisticated optical arrangement. A single lamp sits in a parabolic reflector (about 3" in diameter), that focuses the light into a beam that passes through the vane (the lenses in which are approx 1" in diameter) and then out to the 5" or so outer lens of the mechanism. The beam then passes through the outer 8" lens of the casing in a straight parallel beam.

The modern LED heads with a single lens are single aperture heads, and not a searchlight in any way, as the optical arrangement is completely different.

The last Searchlights were the SGE  ones at Clacton.  I'm luck enough to have a Westinghouse one in my garden (which I re-lamped today as it had gone out!)

Andy G

Edited by uax6
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

The term searchlight only strictly applies to the electro-mechanical jobs, but the LED versions with a single lens (two lenses if double yellow can be shown) are sometimes casually referred to as searchlights to distinguish their style from the multi-lamps we have been more accustomed to until Fibre optic and LED technology came along.

As mentioned above the vane mechanism has three coloured lenses; it is effectively a three-position relay.  The red lens is central and the vane fails safe to that positon under gravity.  A positive or negative voltage to the mech moves the yellow or green lens to be in front of the lamp.  One consequence of this is that when the signal steps up  from Y to G because the following signal has advanced from R to Y, the signal has to pass briefly through the central red aspect.  This doesn't apply of course to the modern LED signals.

The word Approach in signalling descriptions comes up in quite different contexts and can be a cause of confusion.

Approach-lit signals are dark unless there's a train coming; they tended to be used to save batteries in very rural locations where there was no mains electricity supply to the box.  This isn't a problem these days, which is why they are obsolete.

Approach Release is quite common.  It means the control circuitry forces a train to reduce speed has before the signal to a diverging lower speed route can be cleared.  The signal may be Approach Released from Red or Approach Released from Yellow depending on the severity of the speed restriction.   The signal only clears when the train is sufficiently close, so signals in rear of that must have been showing caution and the driver is expecting a stop.   It is used to enforce the speed restriction for a diverging route of slower speed.  It would be incorrect to call these Approach lit as the track circuits in rear of the signal are used differently.

Approach Locking is very widespread and  is used to prevent the signalman from changing the route at points where an approaching train may have seen a clear signal.  It involves allowing a timer to run after putting the junction signal back to danger before allowing the points to be moved.  Once the timer (typically a couple of minutes)  had finished, any train which might have been approaching would either have seen and stopped short of the red signal or have already reached the signal in which case it is protected by other circutiry.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Of course not all searchlights could actually show three different aspects.....

If used as a distant signal in semaphore areas (like the approach lit one at Littleport) the vane would carry yellow-red-yellow lenses. If used as a normal signal in non MAS areas the vane would carry green-red-green lenses.

Why? Well being electro-magnetic, and working over just two wires, the aspect shown depended on which way round the control wires were terminated on the mechanism. With the positive connection on one side, the vane would move in one direction, with the same connection on the other side, the vane would swing the other way. Therefore for safety in a two aspect signal, only the two aspects to be shown would be provided, so if the wires were reversed it wouldn't matter. BUT the wires shouldn't be miss-connected, as they should go back in the same place as they came off, and the signal would be tested to prove it showed the correct aspect after mechanism exchange (Think about the issues that could arise on three aspect ones if this wasn't the case!).

Heres some videos of the 'normal' three aspect DC Westinghouse mech from my signal. The operation of which just needed a voltage of 6v to make the vane move. I wired it to a normal controller and swung it by changing the direction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQiL-mcvQtk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_Qf424IiGU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jEvnfGelG0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_89clrWEZuw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tie-TPqEEk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aVlLdDbBIY

Then of course you got AC operated mechanisms (these were provided in DC electrified areas to prevent interference). These had a permanent 110v AC on the mechanism (I used a normal 110v site transformer to provide this) and then you swing the vane with another low voltage AC supply, in this case I used the aux supply off a Hornby controller. Again reversing this lower voltage supply swung the vane over the other direction (you can see me changing the wires over in the reflection from the lens):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZP4UNGvrjM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMrCkOG8cLw

Notice how you will get a flash of red as the signal steps up, perfectly normal with these beasts!

Andy G

Edited by uax6
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

There was a loop if you were heading north at Pandy. “Up” and “down” on the North to West could lead to trouble, as the lines changed their designation over at Hereford Barr’s Court.

36C296D7-59D3-40F9-8840-6CAC58ECB477.gif.7c63176e3e5ca112f50baf87d51b797e.gif

It sticks in my mind because of a derailment there, a northbound train of engineers flats went into the loop and kept going, the 47 going through the stop blocks and the flats piling up behind like a pack of playing cards. It seems that they had been assumed to be vac brake fitted, the end through pipes being very discoloured. Anyhow, several weekend occupations followed on clearing up. The main road runs parallel with the track here, just a fields width away, with a sort of ribbon development for the village running along it, and two pubs mixed in. I popped into one of the pubs for refreshment, as you do, and when I got back on site, the old perway ganger, a wizened old local, was very interested which pub I’d been in. I told him, and he seemed very happy with my choice, why? Well, the other place had a bit of a reputation as a Sodom and Gomorrah, according to him. Needless, to say, I marked it down for a visit, but never did manage it. I fancy that derailment caused the loop to be taken out of service, the goods sidings over the other side on the signalling plan had been taken out several years earlier.

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Approach-lit signals are dark unless there's a train coming; they tended to be used to save batteries in very rural locations where there was no mains electricity supply to the box.  This isn't a problem these days, which is why they are obsolete.

Or where you didn’t want a red aspect showing when there wasn’t a train there.  ScR highland main line loops and a few others e.g. Craigendoran have approach lit signals.  Although no longer ‘approved’ we obtained permission to put them in on the Larkhall extension (and I think somewhere since that I can’t remember) so that trains not using the loop don’t have to pass an isolated red signal without a friend on the through line and get frightened by it.

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

The term searchlight only strictly applies to the electro-mechanical jobs, but the LED versions with a single lens (two lenses if double yellow can be shown) are sometimes casually referred to as searchlights to distinguish their style from the multi-lamps we have been more accustomed to until Fibre optic and LED technology came along.

As mentioned above the vane mechanism has three coloured lenses; it is effectively a three-position relay.  The red lens is central and the vane fails safe to that positon under gravity.  A positive or negative voltage to the mech moves the yellow or green lens to be in front of the lamp.  One consequence of this is that when the signal steps up  from Y to G because the following signal has advanced from R to Y, the signal has to pass briefly through the central red aspect.  This doesn't apply of course to the modern LED signals.

The word Approach in signalling descriptions comes up in quite different contexts and can be a cause of confusion.

Approach Release is quite common.  It means the control circuitry forces a train to reduce speed has before the signal to a diverging lower speed route can be cleared.  The signal may be Approach Released from Red or Approach Released from Yellow depending on the severity of the speed restriction.   The signal only clears when the train is sufficiently close, so signals in rear of that must have been showing caution and the driver is expecting a stop.   It is used to enforce the speed restriction for a diverging route of slower speed.  It would be incorrect to call these Approach lit as the track circuits in rear of the signal are used differently.

Approach Locking is very widespread and  is used to prevent the signalman from changing the route at points where an approaching train may have seen a clear signal.  It involves allowing a timer to run after putting the junction signal back to danger before allowing the points to be moved.  Once the timer (typically a couple of minutes)  had finished, any train which might have been approaching would either have seen and stopped short of the red signal or have already reached the signal in which case it is protected by other circutiry.

Gloucester 121 is an approach lit signal stands at the end of Haresfield loop , because Up Charfield 98 is immediately after it and is only lit when the road is set into or a train is standing in the loop

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Stoke West said:

Gloucester 121 is an approach lit signal stands at the end of Haresfield loop , because Up Charfield 98 is immediately after it and is only lit when the road is set into or a train is standing in the loop

Is that the one that’s up on an embankment?

If so, it wasn’t always approach lit and back in the days before embankments were tree lined you could see G121, UC98 and (I think) G21 the junction signal for the loop all at the same time.  So at night, as the line curved back and forth, a driver saw a red and two greens dancing about GGR, GRG, RGG etc.  Think it was early 80s when the approach lighting was added after (legitimate) driver complaints.

Paul.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Is that the one that’s up on an embankment?

If so, it wasn’t always approach lit and back in the days before embankments were tree lined you could see G121, UC98 and (I think) G21 the junction signal for the loop all at the same time.  So at night, as the line curved back and forth, a driver saw a red and two greens dancing about GGR, GRG, RGG etc.  Think it was early 80s when the approach lighting was added after (legitimate) driver complaints.

Paul.

Correct  if G121 was  lit , it would show a red infront of what ever UC98 was showing

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Northroader said:

There was a loop if you were heading north at Pandy. “Up” and “down” on the North to West could lead to trouble, as the lines changed their designation over at Hereford Barr’s Court.

36C296D7-59D3-40F9-8840-6CAC58ECB477.gif.7c63176e3e5ca112f50baf87d51b797e.gif

It sticks in my mind because of a derailment there, a northbound train of engineers flats went into the loop and kept going, the 47 going through the stop blocks and the flats piling up behind like a pack of playing cards. It seems that they had been assumed to be vac brake fitted, the end through pipes being very discoloured. Anyhow, several weekend occupations followed on clearing up. The main road runs parallel with the track here, just a fields width away, with a sort of ribbon development for the village running along it, and two pubs mixed in. I popped into one of the pubs for refreshment, as you do, and when I got back on site, the old perway ganger, a wizened old local, was very interested which pub I’d been in. I told him, and he seemed very happy with my choice, why? Well, the other place had a bit of a reputation as a Sodom and Gomorrah, according to him. Needless, to say, I marked it down for a visit, but never did manage it. I fancy that derailment caused the loop to be taken out of service, the goods sidings over the other side on the signalling plan had been taken out several years earlier.

There was nothing left by 1971, just a block post, but I was aware that there had been a loop and small yard as well as the station at one time.  Never saw a plan of it, though, and this is most interesting; tx Northroader!

In my very early days, not long after being passed out from the guards' school and on one of my first runs up to Hereford, the driver asked me how many wagons were allowed in the loop at Pandy as a sort of test question to prove my competence (not all of the new guards in those days could have been relied upon to be able to answer this tbh).  I replied that he could have as many as he wanted so long as they were in a heap down the bank in the caravan field, which satisfied him well enough...

• Like 10
  • Funny 1