The J67/68/69 ‘Buckjumper’, By Accurascale

4 hours ago, Jammy2305 said:

Ah, but what would you like? Corridor stock, or proper "jazz" stock?

- James

All three! Corridor stock, non-corridor stock such as the Ilford sets that found their way later to such backwaters as the Mid Suffolk, and the Jazz. Since the last comprised short stock and bodies first widened and then later remounted in pairs on the standard bogie underframe, there would be plenty of permutations...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I may have missed this but are there plans to include etched number plates with the planned GER liveried example. 

I ask only to order them in advance if not. 

Rob. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I may have missed this but are there plans to include etched number plates with the planned GER liveried example. 

I ask only to order them in advance if not. 

Rob. 

There will be etched number plates, yes, along with printed and plain destination boards.

Best wishes,

Paul

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Islesy said:

There will be etched number plates, yes, along with printed and plain destination boards.

Best wishes,

Paul

Tidy.

Thanks, Paul. 

Rob

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Brand New LNER J68 Exclusive Added To Our Line Up! 

0-g75(ACC2431LNERNo7027).jpg.ef05efe9188e290401ce0e3b1da4d1ee.jpg

Our first tank engine, the beautiful 'Buckjumpers', have been very well received since we announced them earlier this year at the London Festival of Modelling at Alexandra Palace.

This has gone up another level since we previewed our first tooling samples in late August, with the modelling public very much enjoying the first glimpse at the depth of our tooling suite, covering the wide variety of detailing differences among each loco.

j6911.jpg.41e3089d7b0bf1d643cb689450ab277b.jpg

But, some modellers felt that there was something missing. A small gap in our range. The lack of a later LNER liveried model.

Well, fear not. Here it is, due to popular demand, and another for our "Accurascale Exclusives" fleet!

HILL G75 (LNER J68) 0-6-0T No. 7027.

ACC2431LNERNo7027IMG_1573-2.jpg.738cfe4a53fa68e84b98177aad872b8c.jpg

The second batch of Hill’s ‘improved’ 0-6-0T locomotives, GER Nos.21-30 to Order G75, differed from the initial C72 order by being designated for shunting duties and differed in build accordingly. Sixteen spoke, unbalanced cast iron wheels were fitted, along with lever reverse and the side tanks were straight topped, lacking the raised chambers of the passenger tanks. Steam brakes were fitted from new, along with a wide-rimmed, parallel sided chimney, but the high arched, wooden cab roof was retained; a feature removed from the final I89 order which were fitted with elliptical wooden cab roofs.

ACC2431LNERNo7027IMG_1572-2.jpg.3d7cdefbb52f4ea50222db2d0d9202d3.jpg

Built at Stratford,as GER No.27, in December 1913, the locomotive was allocated to Cambridge Shed from new and by Grouping was present at Peterborough East on shunting duties, before being renumbered as 7027 under the LNER. The distinctive high arched roof was removed in August 1928, being replaced by an LNER pattern elliptical steel roof and the three bunker rails were filled during September 1931. 7027 was also the pioneer locomotive for the trial fitting of grease lubrication to the coupling pins and connecting rods in 1936.

ACC2431LNERNo7027IMG_1571-2.jpg.25b46f3bab35a2d6faafe98f62b803ad.jpg

At Grouping 7027 was still in GER Austerity Grey but from 1925 carried the LNER goods livery of unlined standard black with shaded 7.5" LNER lettering and 12" numbering, unlike the final I89 order that were painted in standard black with red lining, along with the ‘E’ area number suffix and either L&NER or LNER.

ACC2431LNERNo7027IMG_1570-2.jpg.2140a1ddca39b338c8a52aa10c83370f.jpg

Pre-order your LNER 7027 in DC/DCC Ready or DCC Sound Fitted formats direct only via our website, with no money down and options to spread the payments over 6 months ahead of delivery to make the purchase kinder to your wallet. 

https://www.accurascale.com/collections/j67-j68-j69

Edited by Accurascale
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold

Ahem....., cough......1950s BR black early crest.......cough.....East Anglian loco......cough......cough.....

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Bucoops said:

you know you want to to one suitable for mid to late 1930s

31 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

or late thirties to late forties please

And in good time, you'll get them lads, along with many, many other combinations of build and livery! The complexity of the Buckjumper 'story' is the gift that keeps on giving...

All the best,

Paul.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 hours ago, Islesy said:

And in good time, you'll get them lads, along with many, many other combinations of build and livery! The complexity of the Buckjumper 'story' is the gift that keeps on giving...

When I received the e-mail about the LNER livery I thought great I'll contact Accurascale about changing my order. However having now consulted the RCTS green volume on this particular sub-type I will stay with my pre-order of 68535 in BR Plain Black, with Early Emblem and backdate it. I'm not 100% worried about details, as long as it looks correct it will be OK with me but that cab roof is out of period. Well done to Accurascale for researching and making this variant and I hope it is a success for them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Islesy said:

The complexity of the Buckjumper 'story' is the gift that keeps on giving...

Paul - how would you describe the wheel profile of the J69, please, especially in comparison with a standard Markits RP25 driving wheel?

Also, did I already ask what the axle diameter will be, please?

Thanks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Islesy said:

But seriously, ours are spec’d as RP25-110, on 2mm axles @Captain Kernow

(our spokes are pretty nicely profiled as well 😉).

All the best.

Paul

Thanks Paul. I can see myself buying two of these, one for OO (where it has to run over OO-SF pointwork, hence the flange profile question) and also to convert to P4, hence the question about the axles.

Without the use of a lathe, I'm cautious about converting anything with 2mm axles to P4, because the substitute wheels will come with either 1/8" or 3mm axles, so this begs another question, please - will your 2mm axles be carried in some kind of separate brass or bronze bearing, that fits into appropriately sized slots in the chassis block or will the chassis block itself form it's own bearings?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Islesy said:

All the best,

Paul.

I am waiting for E8619 in LNER apple green. Several photos of it being used on a RCTS railtour of the London Docks in 1948/9. 

But I can wait ....... all good things come to those who wait!

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Thanks Paul. I can see myself buying two of these, one for OO (where it has to run over OO-SF pointwork, hence the flange profile question) and also to convert to P4, hence the question about the axles.

Without the use of a lathe, I'm cautious about converting anything with 2mm axles to P4, because the substitute wheels will come with either 1/8" or 3mm axles, so this begs another question, please - will your 2mm axles be carried in some kind of separate brass or bronze bearing, that fits into appropriately sized slots in the chassis block or will the chassis block itself form it's own bearings?

AGW do 1/8" to 2.0mm reducing sleeves - 4M68.

Available direct or from Wizard

• Like 2

On 05/10/2023 at 10:10, Islesy said:

All the best,

Paul.

"A gift that keeps on giving ", does make renumbering a loco at home a challenge, due to the complexity of the class.  

Colchester had a number of class allocated over the years, for my Colchester c1955 model, the J69 allocation was 68508, 68522 (rebuilt J67), 68561 and 68601. Which Accurascale model to choose?

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

AGW do 1/8" to 2.0mm reducing sleeves - 4M68.

Available direct or from Wizard

Yes, thanks,  Jol, but the 'stopping down' with the aid of such sleeves could introduce some imprecise with regard to the ability of the resulting wheelstes to rotate exactly concentrically, so I would prefer to undertake such an operation with the aid of a lathe.

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Captain Kernow said:

Yes, thanks,  Jol, but the 'stopping down' with the aid of such sleeves could introduce some imprecise with regard to the ability of the resulting wheelstes to rotate exactly concentrically, so I would prefer to undertake such an operation with the aid of a lathe.

At the very least, I would like to use the lathe to ensure that the wheels do rotate concentrically.

5 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

In an earlier post you sad "Without the use of a lathe, I'm cautious about converting anything with 2mm axles to P4", which I read as meaning you don't have access to one. No doubt bushing the wheel centre and boring down to a smaller size is best done in a lathe but the AGW bushes are one solution if you don't one.

All my locos are fitted with AGW, Sharman or. in one case, Bill Bedford printed 3D centre wheels. Some aren't perfectly concentric but springing/compensation tends to mask any excessive wobble.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2